Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #1

Leaking LN Magnetic Drain Plug!

8 days ago I changed my oil and decided to use a brand new LN magnetic drain plug as my old one (18 months old Ln plug) was a little oily but not dripping.
I used the washer it came with it and tightened to 19 foot pounds as per instructions.
SO... It is now leaking and dripping oil on my garage floor! I’m very annoyed as I now have to drain the new DT 40 oil and replace plug.
I will not be using LN plugs again as I don’t think they are fit for purpose or maybe it's the fault of the washer they ship with it. This says it is the 'New improved' version too!
Anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by njbray; 07-25-2020 at 04:27 PM.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #2

Maybe the washer has a flaw . Much more likely than the plug but anything is possible . Mine doesn't leak and I have changed oil at least four times since installing . I do use a new washer each time.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
How confident are you in the calibration of your torque wrench?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:31 PM   #4

I think I have been using the same one for ten + years. I have not thought or had reason to replace it

Last edited by jaykay; 07-25-2020 at 06:44 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Pull the drain plug with the motor running. IIRC Raby said you could drive with a hole in your oil pan and no oil would drain out.

Then again I could be completely wrong and my memory may be failing
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
8 days ago I changed my oil and decided to use a brand new LN magnetic drain plug as my old one (18 months old Ln plug) was a little oily but not dripping.
I used the washer it came with it and tightened to 19 foot pounds as per instructions.
SO... It is now leaking and dripping oil on my garage floor! I’m very annoyed as I now have to drain the new DT 40 oil and replace plug.
I will not be using LN plugs again as I don’t think they are fit for purpose or maybe it's the fault of the washer they ship with it. This says it is the 'New improved' version too!
Anyone else had this problem?
I’ve installed literally a couple hundred of these, not one leaked. They are a well made product.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #7
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
There are a number of things that can affect the accuracy. Not backing off the spring in storage, dropping it over the years. If it is a high limit wrench 250 lbs, using it at 19 lbs it will probably not be as accurate. There are a number of YouTube videos on how to test and correct a wrench yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I think I have been using the same one for ten + years. I have not thought or had reason to replace it
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #8

Yes of course torque wrench calibration...... I will check DIY options ........but I was actually referring the mag plug itself.

I have never replaced mine or even thought it was necessary. Is this a common practice???
Old 07-26-2020, 04:38 AM   #9

I never use a torque wrench on an oil plug. I just snug it up by feel. Is this the first time you changed the oil on the car, or is it just the first time for this new plug? If it's the latter, just tighten it up as you normally have done in past oil changes. Before pulling it completely, you may simply try snugging it up a bit more and see what happens. If it still leaks, there must be a problem with the washer or the plug. Like Rex and others have said, it could also be bad calibration on your torque wrench or even try using a lower limit (smaller) torque wrench. Like Rex said, lower torques aren't very accurate on bigger torque wrenches. Especially on click-type wrenches. You'll notice that the lower you go in torque, the less spring resistance you get. That tells you the spring isn't doing much so it's not as accurate.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:57 AM   #10

Quote:
I was actually referring the mag plug itself.

I have never replaced mine or even thought it was necessary. Is this a common practice???
They don't come with a magnetic plug from the factory, so that's the only reason I can see for replacing the plug. Unless the threads get janked up for some reason, but if that were the case, you'd most likely be replacing the pan as well.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I don’t have a magnetic plug, just the standard Porsche plug, but I’m curious as to why only 19 ftlbs? The standard plug calls for 35 ftlbs.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #12
A Porsche Guy

That is the torque spec recommendation Paul for the magnetic drain plugs. If you over-torque it then you risk stripping the head leading you down a rabbit hole. The factory torque spec is 37 ft-lbs. The magnetic plug shares the same torque specs as the factory oil filter housing.

I purchase a generic magnetic plug a while back but I didn't use it. I don't recall seeing a crush washer with it. I'm curious from those that are using it. Are you using factory crush washers with these mag plugs?

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-26-2020 at 08:23 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #13
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Interesting. Just brain storming here but I wonder with the lower torque spec if the crush washer is not doing it’s job if the washer is for the plug with the higher torque spec. Maybe the mag plug needs a ‘softer’ crush washer to make the seal @ 19 ftlbs.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #14

I've got this on both my 986 and 987, 19 ft/lb plus just a little touch extra for both with OEM washers, no leaking on mine but I have heard of leaking on others. If it was me I would add just a touch of extra tightening but my guess would be maybe a spec of dirt or something around the washer.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Haven't checked on exactly how old mine is, but it's gotta be similar to jaykay's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I never use a torque wrench on an oil plug. I just snug it up by feel. Is this the first time you changed the oil on the car, or is it just the first time for this new plug? If it's the latter, just tighten it up as you normally have done in past oil changes. Before pulling it completely, you may simply try snugging it up a bit more and see what happens. If it still leaks, there must be a problem with the washer or the plug.
Yeah, this has been my approach as well. I had never had a drop of oil from my Boxster in the 14 years I had owned her (excluding the now-fixed RMS seal, which was so miniscule that it never amounted to a 'drop' that actually hit the floor). Then, after the last oil change, I noticed a very few drops over the next week or so. I just tweaked it a bit tighter and haven't had a problem since. Part of my issue (embarrassed to admit, since they're dirt cheap) is that I'd been re-using the crush washer—probably 4 or 5 times. (Have never once had a problem with that practice.) I'll definitely replace it next time.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #16

Regarding swapping out the plug without draining oil, you can have a helper apply vacuum via shop vac to oil fill in trunk while you swap out bolt. Little to no oil should come out the drain plug. I’ve done this before to get oil sample for analysis without having to worry about draining all the oil. We didn’t have shop vac form a complete seal over the oil fill line but rather regulated the vacuum by hovering the vacuum near the orifice. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #17

So...what did you decide to do?

Not having ever used a torque wrench on an oil plug, I can't imagine draining all that expensive oil without trying it. I think you really have to crank pretty hard to strip these out (maybe someone else with a differing experience will chime in here). When I had my issue (last time I changed the oil), I just turned it the tiniest amount further and that did the trick.

If you do drain the oil, I would think you could catch it in a clean container and re-use it.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Part of my issue (embarrassed to admit, since they're dirt cheap) is that I'd been re-using the crush washer—probably 4 or 5 times. (Have never once had a problem with that practice.) I'll definitely replace it next time.
Don't be embarrassed, I do the same! HAHA! Even on my Subarus! In fact, the parts guy at the Subaru dealer told me they can be reused. To me it's not about the cost. For some reason I tend to get everything else, but forget the crush washer until I'm halfway into the oil change. I haven't had any leaks either.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
To me it's not about the cost. For some reason I tend to get everything else, but forget the crush washer until I'm halfway into the oil change.
EXACTLY!
(I basically got lazy and didn't bother to explain...but typically that's exactly what happens to me! And probably a lot of other people too..)
Old 07-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #20
A Porsche Guy

Thanks Steve for confirming that OEM washers work with the magnetic plug. I'll consider using it on my next oil change. I could see why people hand tighten the magnetic plug especially at 19 ft-lbs. I do the same with the oil filter housing. But at 37 ft-lbs with the factory drain plug I will use the torque wrench. I know others that just hand tighten it like you guys; mag plug or factory.

Crush washers have to be the cheapest Porsche item you can buy. It's a filler item on Pelican Parts for free shipping. Order 50-100 pieces and you're set for the lifetime of your Boxster ownership . It sounds like you guys will forget the new o ring in the oil filter if it didn't come with it already.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 07-26-2020 at 06:03 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote