View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 12:19 PM   #15
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I think I have been using the same one for ten + years. I have not thought or had reason to replace it
Haven't checked on exactly how old mine is, but it's gotta be similar to jaykay's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I never use a torque wrench on an oil plug. I just snug it up by feel. Is this the first time you changed the oil on the car, or is it just the first time for this new plug? If it's the latter, just tighten it up as you normally have done in past oil changes. Before pulling it completely, you may simply try snugging it up a bit more and see what happens. If it still leaks, there must be a problem with the washer or the plug.
Yeah, this has been my approach as well. I had never had a drop of oil from my Boxster in the 14 years I had owned her (excluding the now-fixed RMS seal, which was so miniscule that it never amounted to a 'drop' that actually hit the floor). Then, after the last oil change, I noticed a very few drops over the next week or so. I just tweaked it a bit tighter and haven't had a problem since. Part of my issue (embarrassed to admit, since they're dirt cheap) is that I'd been re-using the crush washer—probably 4 or 5 times. (Have never once had a problem with that practice.) I'll definitely replace it next time.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote