Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 99
Water pump failed - got stranded

Hello folks,

So after few months that i was delaying the water pump replacement, i got stranded. Thankfully the pump went while i was 5 meters away from parking the car, so no overheating happened.

Warning light came on, i tried to refill with water initially, only to find out that the water was immediately getting drained under the car. Havent opened yet to check what damage has been done exactly, but have some stuff to ask.

Im thinking to DIY this job (already bought Pierburg) but im not sure what things i must check to be sure of any -side- damages cause of the pump "exploding".

Also, after i install new pump, what shall i pay attention to, regading the new coolant ill fill into ?

Some say that i must open the bleeder valve for releasing the coolant pressure ?!

Thanks!
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 717
your concern is that the impellar blades cracked off and are wedged in the head or oil cooler. If your blades are accounted for or a bit scored but not gone, you should be fine. If water is pouring out that easily however, that likely means the bearing was cooked and you may have had quite a lot of wobble on the impeller. Won't know till you get it off.

If no issue, then install new water pump, get the ass end of the car way up in the air, open the bleeder, pour in most of the new coolant till tank is full, run car, hold revs at like 2500 until thermostat opens and then continue filling.

Drive for next few days with vent cap open, top up as needed, and you're done.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
your concern is that the impellar blades cracked off and are wedged in the head or oil cooler. If your blades are accounted for or a bit scored but not gone, you should be fine. If water is pouring out that easily however, that likely means the bearing was cooked and you may have had quite a lot of wobble on the impeller. Won't know till you get it off.

If no issue, then install new water pump, get the ass end of the car way up in the air, open the bleeder, pour in most of the new coolant till tank is full, run car, hold revs at like 2500 until thermostat opens and then continue filling.

Drive for next few days with vent cap open, top up as needed, and you're done.

Before failing, for couple of months there was a "diesel like" engine nocking sound, coming from the water pump.

1) get the ass end of the car way up in the air -> Really needed ?
2) run car, ---> Start the engine with Bleeder open ?
3) Drive for next few days with vent cap open --> Vent cap you mean the bleeder or the Coolant vent that i fill coolant into ?

If the car is hot and the coolant vent cap is open, isnt this supposed to be bad ? I remember they say never open the coolant vent while car is hot


Thanks!
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 73
might as well replace the thermostat with a lower type of 160 degrees.
ndfrigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
1997, PCA Riverside
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 1,011
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacostas View Post
1) get the ass end of the car way up in the air -> Really needed ?
2) run car, ---> Start the engine with Bleeder open ?
3) Drive for next few days with vent cap open --> Vent cap you mean the bleeder or the Coolant vent that i fill coolant into ?
Or, if you can afford/justify it, use an Airlift. They really are as easy to use as the youtube videos show. I can't imagine doing it 'old school' now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQnfUe6P5VI
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Or, if you can afford/justify it, use an Airlift. They really are as easy to use as the youtube videos show. I can't imagine doing it 'old school' now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQnfUe6P5VI

I prefer the old school for now. But I donít know how
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,159
Garage
+1 on the airlift but doing the bleeder valve way can work.
Rear up high is to get air bubble to travel out of radiators to highest point, the Bleeder valve.
Fill cap tight, Bleeder open

+1 on low temp thermo

When I did mine for preventive maintenance, I flushed a couple times with distilled water then final re-fill with Porsche Pink

Good luck and hopefully your old WP didn't do any damage
__________________
2002 S - old school third pedal
Seal Grey
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
your concern is that the impellar blades cracked off and are wedged in the head or oil cooler. If your blades are accounted for or a bit scored but not gone, you should be fine. If water is pouring out that easily however, that likely means the bearing was cooked and you may have had quite a lot of wobble on the impeller. Won't know till you get it off.

If no issue, then install new water pump, get the ass end of the car way up in the air, open the bleeder, pour in most of the new coolant till tank is full, run car, hold revs at like 2500 until thermostat opens and then continue filling.

Drive for next few days with vent cap open, top up as needed, and you're done.
This. Exactly this. Don't overthink it.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #9
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
airlift is better for 2 reasons

low tech is fine, just takes an extra hour and isn't perfect...you might STILL end up with air bubbles and with the airlift, you also confirm the system holds pressure. win-win
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered User
 
jmitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: OK
Posts: 91
there's a whole tech article that covers all of this
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump.htm
__________________
99 Boxster $3000 project (fixed) http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/74499-please-allow-myself-introduce-myself.html
74 914 GT clone restoration http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=260933
87 924S (next project)
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #11
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
new water pump(s) time for me

rather then start start a new post...Opinions, y'all

I am replacing the water pumps on 2 of my cars, 2001 and 2002 S with 100K and 82K respectively. since I'm replacing the front mounts, this is a while I'm in there thing. Going to the 160 degree thermostat and replacing the serpentine belt. Anything else?

Most important, is it critical to use the composite impeller opposed to aluminum? The URO pump says aluminum impeller and I have been happy with their parts. I get if the WP implodes, composite does less damage, but I want to hear about this.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 717
use the oem Pierberg composite impeller pump.

I'd consider doing the two big coolant hoses that run up to the radiators.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
use the oem Pierberg composite impeller pump.

I'd consider doing the two big coolant hoses that run up to the radiators.
yep, the consensus seems to be pierberg...adds money to the job, but figure Ill follow that advice. Which hoses, are there part numbers out there? THIS IS THE 3.2 S MODEL (BOTH OF THEM)
The hoses do worry me since these are nearly 20 years old. are some more prone to failure then others?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,159
Garage
I replaced the oil heat exchanger O rings while I did WP thermo coolant
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 901
... might as well upgrade the oil pressure relief valve, while you're under there. Inexpensive part... 5 minute job.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #16
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
use the oem Pierberg composite impeller pump.

I'd consider doing the two big coolant hoses that run up to the radiators.
if you are talking the hoses back by the pump and thermostat, why not, about 75 bucks in parts? I will at least be prepared to replace them.
so this is the hose off the thermostat, i think

996-106-502-04

for the hose off the WP, one of my cars is tiptronic and the other is manual, (2002 and 2001) having a hard time telling which hose is for each car, but appears they are different.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #17
Racer Boy
 
Racer Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 586
I just replaced the WP on my 2002 2.7. I replaced the pump, the thermostat w/low temp model, the engine mount, and all the hoses that come off the engine that you can get to while under the car - two big ones that go to the water pipes that run to the radiators, and two smaller hoses. It was all pretty accessible once the car was up high enough. I replaced the WP (Pierberg) from the front access panel, and while I was there installed an underdrive pulley. Since cooling was on my mind, I also replaced the bleeder valve O-rings.

Replace the hoses after you replaced the front engine mount, the big hoses are right in the way of the mount.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 607
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
rather then start start a new post...Opinions, y'all

I am replacing the water pumps on 2 of my cars, 2001 and 2002 S with 100K and 82K respectively. since I'm replacing the front mounts, this is a while I'm in there thing. Going to the 160 degree thermostat and replacing the serpentine belt. Anything else?

Most important, is it critical to use the composite impeller opposed to aluminum? The URO pump says aluminum impeller and I have been happy with their parts. I get if the WP implodes, composite does less damage, but I want to hear about this.
The metal impeller can shave the block and increase the tolerance between the impeller and the block, reducing cooling flow.
__________________
"YouTube Certified in Various Specialties"
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #19
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
Any advice, strike that, part numbers and diagrams for the rubber hoses in the cooling system. There are about a dozen and I canít figure out what I want cruising around the bet. I have 2001 and 2002 Boxster 3.2 S, one is a tip and the other manual. Hoses differ a little.
Every other car Iíve had, I could get parts diagrams and could figure it out on my own. Even the dealer parts counter is challenged.
Anyone else figured this out, I promise Iíll share


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:09 AM   #20
Registered User
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 250
Garage
parts list for cooling hoses and clamps near engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
Any advice, strike that, part numbers and diagrams for the rubber hoses in the cooling system. There are about a dozen and I canít figure out what I want cruising around the bet. I have 2001 and 2002 Boxster 3.2 S, one is a tip and the other manual. Hoses differ a little.
Every other car Iíve had, I could get parts diagrams and could figure it out on my own. Even the dealer parts counter is challenged.
Anyone else figured this out, I promise Iíll share


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keeping in mind that the hose from water pump is different for the tiptronics, found this in another post and it has me on my way; Manual 986 Boxster S:

1 900-123-144-30 Crush Washer/Sealing Ring for Coolant Drain Plug (10 X 14 X 1 mm), Boxster/Boxster S (1997-04)

1 996-106-222-17 Water Hose to Water Pump (3-Way Hose), Boxster/Boxster S w/Manual Trans. (1997-04) (Purple Arrow)
OR
1 996-106-522-04 Water hose to water pump (4-way hose), tiptronic (2000-2004) (Purple Arrow)
*(1997-99) use 996-106-222-16

1 996-106-501-07 Water Hose to Water Flange at Oil Pump Housing (Large Hose), Boxster/Boxster S (1997-04) (Orange Arrow)
1 996-106-502-06 Water Hose to Water Flange (Large Hose), 986 Boxster/Boxster S (1997-04) (Green Arrow)
1 999-512-609-09 Hose Clamp 32 x 12
2 999-512-589-09 Hose Clamp 25 z 12
2 999-512-594-09 Hose Clamp 53 x 12
2 999-512-668-09 Hose Clamp 49 x 12
Attached Images
 

Last edited by tonythetiger; 06-07-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: updates and image
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page