Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
Well yes, but it could feel fine and then need replacing in 10k miles. My only thought was that since he had everything apart anyway doing the IMSB, why not do the clutch while you're at it, and start with a fresh new clutch. How much does a new clutch replacement cost incrementally if you're already paying for the labor for the IMSB? $600?

BTW, why did you need an engine rebuild?
If the clutch disc isn't worn at all, no need to replace it. If they saw no wear on the clutch parts on the car you're looking at now while it was apart and it still feels good now no need to worry about that was my point.

My engine is being rebuilt because the IMSB upgrade I had installed at 42,000 miles as a preemptive measure failed at 68,000 miles. Stuff happens. Someday I'll have my car back, it's been almost 6 months, I decided to have it upgraded to a 3.6 with LN Nickies, that takes a long time due to the backlog of work at the plating company that LN uses.

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
It only has 52k miles, most major parts should have only been replaced if they broke due to age. WP and belt preventative at 60k, rest as they fail. Clearly the owner cared about the car if they are doing oil analysis on it.

Thanks, Rick. I think that's the right approach.

So what should I figure the WP, belt and plugs costing me?
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes. I had two indie shops and one dealer all say that my oil leak was the cam cover but it turned out to be the plug tubes.

That doesn't mean that its not the cam covers, it just means that oil leaks can often be difficult to accurately diagnose and the shops will tend to give you the worst case scenario.
So given that it's an '03 and the plug tubes aren't serviceable, and let's say it is in fact the cam cover, what would be the cost to fix it at an indy shop?

BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote