Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
Registered User
 
flouese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Callahan, FL
Posts: 362
I need help with brakes

Successfully replaced engine and master cylinder. I have a motive power bleeder and have bled the brakes at least 6 times with the bleeder and used the old fashion manual method. However, after bleeding the brakes, both methods, and getting no air out of the system, my pedal is still mushy and barely lows the car down. Additionally, if I keep the clutch depressed, it sticks to the floor.

My slave cylinder is less than 10K miles old.

The car sat for 4 months while working up the nerve to replace the engine.

While driving, the clutch works fine; able to shift smoothly through all gears.

Brakes work, but barely. I had to use the hand brake to assist in stopping.

I thought of replacing the slave cylinder, but didn't want to throw money in that direction if that is not the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated in resolving this problem
__________________
99 Boxster base
1966 912 3 gauge

Last edited by flouese; 09-29-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a data point
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 236
The term ‘slave cylinder’ applies to the clutch hydraulics, not brakes?
__________________
2001 Boxster S, TipTronic in Seal Grey aka "The Imp"
2001 TE50, ESS in (now) Grigio Titanio Matallizzato aka "The Golden child"
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,124
Flouse, tell us again about your car? Specifically, does it have PSM?

I remember reading in the pelican projects book, something about a process that's required to bleed the system, because air gets trapped in the PSM. ?? I may have the details wrong here, because I merely skimmed it, rather than actual reading, haha.

Have you read the procedure in the pelican book?

Your clutch and brakes share a reservoir.... but that's it. They of course have different master cylinders, and different slave cylinders (or calipers, in the appropriate system). So these two issues should not be related. UNLESS: what brake fluid did you put in? And what brake fluid was in it before? DOT 3 and DOT 5 are NOT compatible.... and will gel in the line, causing all sorts of terrible results, including quite possibly the ones you're describing.

Not trying to horrible-ize here. Tell us more.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 09-29-2018 at 10:21 AM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,259
Garage
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder BEFORE installation? If not and you weren't careful you have pushed air into the ABS pump and system. There is a procedure to do solve this I just don't have ATM. Off hand it will involve activating the ABS using a Durametric and bleeding.

Last edited by 911monty; 09-29-2018 at 10:02 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder BEFORE installation? If not and you weren't careful you have pushed air into the ABS pump and system. There is a procedure to do solve this I just don't have ATM. Off hand it will involve activating the ABS using a Durametric and bleeding.
+1, with everything Monty just said. And he's probably describing the same thing I skimmed. Makes sense it's the ABS, not the PSM. (Though related, haha)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
Registered User
 
flouese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Callahan, FL
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder BEFORE installation? If not and you weren't careful you have pushed air into the ABS pump and system. There is a procedure to do solve this I just don't have ATM. Off hand it will involve activating the ABS using a Durametric and bleeding.
No I did not bench bleed the Master cylinder. I don't have a Durametric. Is there a "shade tree" remedy for this???
__________________
99 Boxster base
1966 912 3 gauge
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #7
Registered User
 
flouese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Callahan, FL
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Flouse, tell us again about your car? Specifically, does it have PSM?

I remember reading in the pelican projects book, something about a process that's required to bleed the system, because air gets trapped in the PSM. ?? I may have the details wrong here, because I merely skimmed it, rather than actual reading, haha.

Have you read the procedure in the pelican book?

Your clutch and brakes share a reservoir.... but that's it. They of course have different master cylinders, and different slave cylinders (or calipers, in the appropriate system). So these two issues should not be related. UNLESS: what brake fluid did you put in? And what brake fluid was in it before? DOT 3 and DOT 5 are NOT compatible.... and will gel in the line, causing all sorts of terrible results, including quite possibly the ones you're describing.

Not trying to horrible-ize here. Tell us more.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I have a 1999 Boxster 2.5L with manual shift. I used DOT 4. I installed the master w/o conducting a bench bleed due to ignorance. I guess I missed or skipped over that step in the 101 Projects book. Is there a graceful recovery or will this necessitate the removal of the master and then doing the bench bleed and re-install?
__________________
99 Boxster base
1966 912 3 gauge
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
I have a 1999 Boxster 2.5L with manual shift. I used DOT 4. I installed the master w/o conducting a bench bleed due to ignorance. I guess I missed or skipped over that step in the 101 Projects book. Is there a graceful recovery or will this necessitate the removal of the master and then doing the bench bleed and re-install?
Hmmm... I'm sorry, I don't know. I bench bleed as a matter of course. I'm not sure you'll be able (even with a power bleeder) to get that primed / bled.
Maybe Monty can help here.
That's almost certainly the issue.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,259
Garage
I just happen to know a "shade tree" mechanic.....

This will not make things worse and may just solve your issue. Cross your fingers hold my beer and try this......

1. Set up to bleed your brakes.

2 When ready Turn on the ignition and leave on. This will activate the ABS system

3.Go to wheel furthest from master (right rear) and open the bleeder. This should kick the ABS pump on and pump the air out through the bleeder.

4.Bleed the remaining slaves.

5. Turn your key off and use the power bleeder to bleed all brakes.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
Registered User
 
flouese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Callahan, FL
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
I just happen to know a "shade tree" mechanic.....

This will not make things worse and may just solve your issue. Cross your fingers hold my beer and try this......

1. Set up to bleed your brakes.

2 When ready Turn on the ignition and leave on. This will activate the ABS system

3.Go to wheel furthest from master (right rear) and open the bleeder. This should kick the ABS pump on and pump the air out through the bleeder.

4.Bleed the remaining slaves.

5. Turn your key off and use the power bleeder to bleed all brakes.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
__________________
99 Boxster base
1966 912 3 gauge
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,227
and speaking of slaves…

Perhaps be a good idea to bleed the clutch slave as well, according to the manual, you should keep open (under pressure) the bleeder for about 20 seconds..

I always put 'two' one liter bottles of DOT 4 on the Motive, just to minimize the possibility of getting air into the line
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page