Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2018, 05:39 AM   #1

Garage
RoW Flash Help

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows where to get a RoW flash done for a 2003 base boxster around the south and east Texas area, from Houston to Dallas?

I have called many different shops with answers ranging from not knowing what an RoW flash is to saying that they can only do performance tunes. Basically, I replaced my cats with 200 cell high flow but I am still getting post cat O2 codes and now a few SAI codes. I think an RoW flash would help solve both issues. Any information on erasing the post cat O2 and SAI codes while getting a ready state for inspection would be appreciated!

ttmedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmedical View Post
Any information on erasing the post cat O2 and SAI codes while getting a ready state for inspection would be appreciated!
Simple: Clearing the codes before going to inspection will not work. You DME has EPA mandated software that trip the I/M Readiness (what inspection looks at) into "not ready" mode so that the car cannot be inspected, where it will stay for 100-200 miles, by which time the original codes will have come back.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Simple: Clearing the codes before going to inspection will not work. You DME has EPA mandated software that trip the I/M Readiness (what inspection looks at) into "not ready" mode so that the car cannot be inspected, where it will stay for 100-200 miles, by which time the original codes will have come back.
.... will probably have come back.... :-) It all depends on how dire the situation is. haha.

For the SAI, do a quick search here. It's a very common issue. Once you've confirmed it's like the rest of ours, member "Particlewave" has developed a cheat / workaround for the very-common failure. I haven't installed mine yet, but I bought it and added it to my "over the winter" list.

For the o2 code, I can't help ya, because I haven't experienced this particular issue. But I know this has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum as well, and there are some fixes for that discussed in several threads.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You need your learning codes from your dealer and someone with a PST2 or better to load the ROW code.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:58 PM   #5

I have a pst2 and Ill gladly install a row tune on your boxster. I even have a friend at a dealer who can get a code. Here's the disclaimer though. I've never done it and there's no instructions on how to do it. I saw my dealer friend install it on mine before I had a PST2. It looks easy but you have to really make sure you get the correct vin numbers typed into it when you're doing it. Otherwise you'll get locked out of the DME. You can pay me in beer
Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I have a pst2 and Ill gladly install a row tune on your boxster. I even have a friend at a dealer who can get a code. Here's the disclaimer though. I've never done it and there's no instructions on how to do it. I saw my dealer friend install it on mine before I had a PST2. It looks easy but you have to really make sure you get the correct vin numbers typed into it when you're doing it. Otherwise you'll get locked out of the DME. You can pay me in beer
Great offer.... keep us posted on how this goes!?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Pretty straight forward as long as you have the DME learning code for your car from the dealer. Probably want to load the EU2 code. Takes about 5 minutes to type in everything and another 5 for it to load. If your car has a digital display, while downloading the code, you will see a message saying "engine failure reply OK". Always makes me wince, German humor I guess.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
pm me your email address and i can get you the instructions.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:44 AM   #9

i'll just post here ...

you will need your dme programming code and your VIN.

go DME - Read-out Vehicle Data. not sure if this is required, but the guru told me to do it so i do it.

go DME - Programming - Program Map. you will be asked for your dme programming code. your VIN should auto-populate - confirm correct.

choose the map you wish to flash onto your car. get the year right or you will get errors due to canbus differences.

you will be given instructions - turn off all accessories, put battery on charger. follow them (if you trust your battery then charger not needed).

flash takes less than 5 minutes.

check for faults. check vehicle data to ensure VIN is good.

Last edited by The Radium King; 08-01-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Garage
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the wonderful information and help!

@itsnotanova: Thank you! I will definitely take you up on your generous offer! I volunteer my car as tribute hahah! I will PM you with my details and find a time that is convenient for you.

@The Radium King: Thank you for the guide! I will hopefully be using this with itsnotanova soon!

Some quick questions:

1) Does the RoW flash keep the O2 sensor and SAI checks in a perpetual "not ready" state? Or will it list them as "Ready" and therefore I can pass emissions?

2) Can I just go to any dealer and simply ask for my DME learning code or do I need to ask for something more specific?

3) What is meant by "EU2" code? Is this what the RoW file/map is called on the PST2?
Old 08-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the wonderful information and help!

@itsnotanova: Thank you! I will definitely take you up on your generous offer! I volunteer my car as tribute hahah! I will PM you with my details and find a time that is convenient for you.

@The Radium King: Thank you for the guide! I will hopefully be using this with itsnotanova soon!

Some quick questions:

1) Does the RoW flash keep the O2 sensor and SAI checks in a perpetual "not ready" state? Or will it list them as "Ready" and therefore I can pass emissions?

2) Can I just go to any dealer and simply ask for my DME learning code or do I need to ask for something more specific?

3) What is meant by "EU2" code? Is this what the RoW file/map is called on the PST2?

You forgot to ask the ONLY important question......What kind of COLD BEER does Woody like????
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #12

not sure of the impact on emissions testing as i don't have to deal with it where i live. the only feedback i can give is that i have read several reports of folks passing emissions with a row tune, whereas i have heard no reports of anyone failing an emissions test with a row tune.

what you need are the IPAS codes - very difficult to get - dealers tend to not give them out. if woody has a connection then i would use it.

not sure re eu2 code; the names of the various flash options are self-explanatory once in there (perhaps one is called eu2? can't recall - paul?).
Old 08-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #13

Garage
@911monty: Hahaha, of course not! I PM'd him

@The Radium King: Okay, I'll see what I can do to get the IPAS codes. I assume this is the same thing as the DME code that is required? Again, thank you for all the information!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #14

IPAS codes include the dme programming code, immobiliser code, transponder codes, alarm system codes, etc - why the dealer doesn't give them out.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
You forgot to ask the ONLY important question......What kind of COLD BEER does Woody like????
Well I'm not a beer connoisseur and drink the cheap stuff. Shiner Bock is my beer of choice but if you really want to make my day Yuengling Lager. I haven't been able to get that beer since I moved to Texas. Thanks Radium for the instructions
Old 08-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #16
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Shiner Bock is my beer of choice but if you really want to make my day Yuengling Lager. I haven't been able to get that beer since I moved to Texas.
Woody, are you sayin' you're from Philly?

Just wonderin'..............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Woody, are you sayin' you're from Philly?

Just wonderin'..............

TO
I lived in central PA for about 10 years. Raised in Alaska though. Also lived in Louisiana, California, Nevada and Missouri
Old 08-02-2018, 05:05 AM   #18

Garage
IPAS codes

Quote:
@911monty: Hahaha, of course not! I PM'd him

@The Radium King: Okay, I'll see what I can do to get the IPAS codes. I assume this is the same thing as the DME code that is required? Again, thank you for all the information!
The dealer where you take your car for service is the best place to go. Just talk to the service manager and tell him you have a PST2 and would like to get the codes for your car and he should give them to you along with a warning of being careful what you do to your car. There are quite a few codes on the list and you should be good to go when you get them. Here in Ottawa the service manager was very helpful in giving me my codes. Good luck and thank you Radium King for the writeup on doing this.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:10 AM   #19

I jumped through massive hoops to get my codes. Just a reminder that my codes were right even though it looked like a default code from the factory of 000000, so anyone else can possibly get the same codes I got.
986bsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #20

Quote:
I lived in central PA for about 10 years. Raised in Alaska though. Also lived in Louisiana, California, Nevada and Missouri
Woody out of curiosity, where you an Air Force brat..?

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote