Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
blkboxster

Unhappy im not happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well as i said i sold my porsche 99 12000miles,the person who bought it from me took it to the local porsche dealer and there saying there is $5,000.00 of reparis TO THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know how becasue the car always ran smoothley and never had problems when i drove and now he wants his money back and im going to have my car back with $5,000.00 of work that needs to be done

Old 08-29-2006, 10:42 AM   #2

well some say when it comes to older cars and repairs/maintenance "pay me now or pay me later" but eventually you will have to pay the repair piper. No free lunches when it comes to porshas.

I'm guessing the dealership is doubling the actual cost of the repairs. So a 7 year old Porsche needing $2,500 in repairs and or maintenance isn't out of this world and should have been factored into the sale price. His fault, you make the deal after you've factored in repair costs not before.

Personally it sounds to me like you got well north of what a low mileage 99 would normaly get but that's got nothing to do with THIS sale. It's a done deal. If you want to be a nice and fair guy you could work with him on the non-maintenance problems. I'm sure if the car only has 10,000 miles its in showroom condition and the guy should keep that in mind, worth fixing.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
I don't mean to sound shrewd, but that's not your problem. I bought a used Explorer a year ago and realized that it needed a new transmission shortly thereafter. I had no legal right to run back to the seller and request my money back, so I just chalked it up to a very expensive lesson and sold it for $2000 less than I paid for it (with disclosure, of course).

Same for this guy -- he has two choices now: pay the $5k in repairs, or sell it and likely lose money as I did. You weren't aware the problems existed, you completed the deal and the transaction, so that's his problem; not yours. Go cash your check and buy your new car, and don't worry about his problems.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #4

Hmmmm. Sounds to me like the guy thought a PPI was a post purchase inspection. :ah:
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #5

blkboxster,

I don't think buyer has any legal recourse against you unless you agreed to such an arrangement or there was a serious fraud involved, and for used cars from private sellers that's a loser all the time. I find it really hard to believe the stealership can find 5k worth of repairs on a car with only 12k. I'd like to see an itemized list. Scratch that. I don't care about a stinking list. Remember the words, "caveat emptor?"

Tell buyer to shop around.

Go get your new Boxster.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Private party sales are usually "AS IS" without saying...UNLESS you said you'd give him a warranty. If not then i dont mean to sound like a car dealer but you have no reason to return the money and take your car back.

Technically, every used car needs some type of repair. weather the owner knows it or not. and why the hell didnt the buyer inspect it prior to purchasing the car?????

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 PM   #7

What repairs are needed exactly? Can the buyer provide you with a printout of the repairs needed FROM PORSCHE...not in his own writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
well as i said i sold my porsche 99 12000miles,the person who bought it from me took it to the local porsche dealer and there saying there is $5,000.00 of reparis TO THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know how becasue the car always ran smoothley and never had problems when i drove and now he wants his money back and im going to have my car back with $5,000.00 of work that needs to be done

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 08-29-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
KronixSpeed

ahhh you can't return cars 2 days later. if he was so concerned, he would of takin the car to the dealer before he bought the car. the process works differently...you find a car, you take it to your mechanic or the dealer and then you buy the car. you don't buy a car and then take it for certification.

was a sketchy deal anyways.....99 with only 12,000km. not to say that the car wasn't in mint condition. he should realize that the car is a 99.

do not give him his money back. that would be the dumbest thing that you could do. who's to say he didn't mess the car up on the way home. it now legally belongs to him....his problem.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #9

I have a '97 with about 16,500 miles. I have the car inspected about every two months at a local dealership. They put it up on the rack and give it a once over while I watch. They haven't ever charged me for that. But an older Box can build up a repair bill quickly. For example, mine could use the newer roof transmission cables and connectors, $1700+, RMS replaced (hasn't leaked in two weeks) $1350, Airbag light fix $750 (Harnesses and seatbelt connectors). Just replaced a coolant hose $257. The car was PPI'd and sold to me "as is" with no warranty. You just have to learn to live with some of these items. The car looks as new and is near perfect cosmetically. Someone buying an older Boxster should have researched the potential for repairs and acted accordingly. I don't think the seller in this instance has any responsibility to the buyer.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
blkboxster

well i went to porsche and this is what they said
1rear main seal is leaking oil-VERY LITTEL
2righr rear strut is leaking fluid-no fluid marks are in my garage
3parking brake needs adjustment
4 need a alignment
5 battery vent tube is missing

well i took my car in 3500 miles ago because coolent was leaking so ALL OF THIS HAPPEND IN 3500MILES
Old 08-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #11

You didnt give the person his money back did you?
If not, then dont. Its there car now weather not they signed the bill of sale yet.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #12

I'm with the consensus in that the car is now the new owner's problem. It's the risk of buying a used car.

$5,000 for the repairs??? I think it's been exagerated or it's absolutely ridiculous for the items you listed. I don't think any of that you should feel guilty about. If the car needs an alignment it should've shown up when the guy test drove it or looked at the tires. If not, than maybe he hit something on the way home? Parking brake needs adjustment? Does it not work??? Even so, how much could this possibly cost, $100 if done at a Porsche dealer? Battery vent tube is missing? Is this even worth mentioning? Go buy the $2 worth of hose and replace it! The right rear strut may leak but it's a 99 for crying out loud! The RMS is the only thing I have no idea how much it would cost to replace but for $5,000 you should get a rebuilt engine with the RMS seal.

Bottom line... TOUGH DOG DOOKY to the new owner!!! I think he got cold feet once he got the car home and is trying to guilt you into taking it back. I'm a firm believer in making things right but this seems a bit much...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #13

A year ago March, I bought my 01 with 24.000 miles on it, from a used car dealership in Pittsburgh. I had a ppi done BUT,, when i got home (900 miles) the front tires were completely worn out.. it was wayyyyyyyyy out of alignment. Cost $220, plus new tires. The air bag light woulnd't go out (disclosed but not a concern to me). Cost - gratis from dealer. A few other small problems showed up a little while later. Did I have any recourse? NO. Did I expect any? NO. And neither should your buyer

I've bought and sold a lot of cars over the years, both individually and through dealers. Always, when I've bought a car from an individual there was something!!! small or not, that needed fixing. Its ONE reason that you can usually get a car cheaper through an individual than through a dealer, there's no warranty buying a car through an individual. And unless your state has some weird laws regarding private sales, you have absolutely NO obligation to buy it back (lacking fraud) Sounds like buyer's remorse to me. Sorry Charlie.

$5,000 for the repairs you listed????? That's completely outrageous! And as was stated, who knows what he's done with the car since its been in his possession? DO NOT give him his money back.

OH.. and ppi means PRE purchase inspection.. Not POST purchase inspection.

Bob
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #14

Depends on the state law. Some states have MANDATORY cooling off laws that allow up to 72 hrs for someone to return the car. Some don't, and it is "as is" time.

Check with your DMV before you "take the car back!"

Otherwise, it IS his problem unless you voluntarily take the car back.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #15

Items 3-4-5 are dinky stuff. I would think 1 and 2 are where the money is. While you probably have no legal necessity to say anything but "too bad" to the purchaser, you have to sleep at night, and so does he.
If it were my car, I would see if I could negotiate some kind of amicable price reduction based on a share of the cost of fixing the RMS and the strut.
Sounds like the car is substantially as represented, in spite of having a few problems.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:41 PM   #16
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Depends on the state law. Some states have MANDATORY cooling off laws that allow up to 72 hrs for someone to return the car. Some don't, and it is "as is" time.

Check with your DMV before you "take the car back!"

Otherwise, it IS his problem unless you voluntarily take the car back.
On a private sale? I doubt it.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
On a private sale? I doubt it.
Depends on the state law. I don't profess to know all 50 state DMV laws, do you?

That is why I suggested he check HIS state laws.

Just the facts ma'm.

Last edited by Brucelee; 08-29-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #18

I suggest to share half of the cost of RMS fix ONLY with the buyer if you want to be nice.

You took the car in for coolant fix 3500 miles ago. What has happened after that is not related because the dealership fixed it. Any problems from the coolant fix must had been detected during the fix.

Your buyer should be responsible for the cost of strut, parking brake, alignment, battery tube and other silly costs. It is ridiculous if you have to pay for these, I mean he has the box for 2 days (he could had driven the box drunked and crashed it into a pavement). If you pay for these costs (other than RMS), the next thing you may need to pay is the cost of his car wash. It sounds to me like an extortion and it is unfair to you.

Despite the low milage, it is a 99 boxs. As what BoB O said, he should have done PPI before he purchased it from you and not AFTER (tough luck). If he wants you to pay for all of these fix, get a lawyer, take it to court (doesn't sound to me like he has a case anyway). Cost of lawyer is much cheaper than $5000. If he bugs you too often (or threatening you), you can also claim for emotional distress

Unless you had any verbal agreement with the buyer (saying that you will pay for any problem found after inspection), then in all fairness, you don't need to return the money back or pay for any kind of fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
well i went to porsche and this is what they said
1rear main seal is leaking oil-VERY LITTEL
2righr rear strut is leaking fluid-no fluid marks are in my garage
3parking brake needs adjustment
4 need a alignment
5 battery vent tube is missing

well i took my car in 3500 miles ago because coolent was leaking so ALL OF THIS HAPPEND IN 3500MILES
Old 08-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #19
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Depends on the state law. I don't profess to know all 50 state DMV laws, do you?

That is why I suggested he check HIS state laws.

Just the facts ma'm.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/usedcar.htm

http://product-liability.lawyers.com/automotive-products-liability/Consumer-Law--Car-Purchase-FAQ.html#eight
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #20
blkboxster

well the guys being an ass so im going to get my car back give him his money i know it the stupidst thing to do. ill take the car to my cousin to repair (he owns a pretty good repair place and fix it and ill just have to pay for the labor.and ill put my car out for sale again. and hopefully someone else buys it.

but THANKS ALOT for all the advice