Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
well the guys being an ass so im going to get my car back give him his money i know it the stupidst thing to do. ill take the car to my cousin to repair (he owns a pretty good repair place and fix it and ill just have to pay for the labor.and ill put my car out for sale again. and hopefully someone else buys it.

but THANKS ALOT for all the advice
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:02 PM   #22

Quote:
well the guys being an ass so im going to get my car back give him his money i know it the stupidst thing to do. ill take the car to my cousin to repair (he owns a pretty good repair place and fix it and ill just have to pay for the labor.and ill put my car out for sale again. and hopefully someone else buys it.

but THANKS ALOT for all the advice

Hi,

Absolutely not! Worst case, give him the $5k. Buyer's Remorse isn't something you should be responsible for at all.

I was surprised you got the money you did (didn't want to say anything negative at the time), it's waay too high for a '99 (at least $5k too high - the same amount as the needed repairs, coincidence...???)

My suspiscion is that the guy, driven by emotion or impulse, jumped at a car too highly priced, regardless of mileage (unusually low mileage on a sports car isn't an asset so far as I'm concerned anyway) and has since become educated as to his mistake (he may even be lurking this list) and is now the Poster Child for Buyer's Remorse.

If not supported by State Consumer Law, you're the second dumbest guy on earth (next to him for paying too much to begin with) if you give him anymore than a partial refund (which you are under no obligation to do). It's his problem, not yours.

You wanna be a nice guy? Donate the $5k to Habitat for Humanity in His name so you can sleep at night. If not, what are you going to do with the next buyer when they experience remorse?

Remember, it's Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware), not Caveat Exigo (Seller Beware)...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-29-2006 at 11:40 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:15 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
well the guys being an ass so im going to get my car back give him his money i know it the stupidst thing to do.
You're taking the car back because the guy's being an ass? LOL... can you give me your phone number so I can call you and ask you to give me $50k? Don't worry; I'll make sure to "be an ass" because then I can be 100% sure to receive my money.

I only wish half the people with whom I've done business rolled over half as easily as you!!! I'd be a very wealthy man.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:37 AM   #24

This entire thread reads like an intervention. A failed intervention.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:47 AM   #25

Wow. I can't believe you're giving him his money back. I'm sure he'd have done the same thing for you. Not.

I completely disagree with anyone telling you to give him some money back. So now the guy got to drive your car for free? If you're going to take the car back (which I don't agree with) I'd personally tell him I'll take it back for $2,000 less than what he paid. Consider it earnest money - or lease payments for while he had the car.

Damn this is stupid...

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top

Last edited by denverpete; 08-30-2006 at 05:49 AM.
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:06 AM   #26

Garage
Giving the money back..

may make you feel better but you have no way of knowing that the car being returned is in the same condition it was when sold. The guy may have been buzzing the motor when cold (or worse) for all you know.

As others have suggested, making an offer to split the difference on the repairs would be a VERY generous offer. His lack of knowledge on the market price of the car is his problem as is his choice of not doing a PPI.

The reality is that this is a used car and any prospective buyer should expect that the car is not perfect; that's why he isn't paying $45K for it!

What ever you do--Don't return his money and take the car back!!!!!!
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:14 AM   #27
blkboxster

well guys its to late. i got my car back and hes only put 50miles on it.Im tackng my car to my cousine and he said it wont take long to repair im going to the bank shortly instead of me giving the guy back his full 25800 weve aggred that i will only return 25500 of it because of the milleage and him wasting my time,and ill proably use the money to pay the labor cost when i get the car fixed. and after it is fixed ill put it back outside and resell it. It only took me 3 days to sell it to this Fu&K.SO ill hopefully sell it soon

thanks for listening
Old 08-30-2006, 07:14 AM   #28

Sad. Sorry to hear you caved in like that. You've been taken advantage of and will probably live to regret it. The $300 you're getting for his use of the car and your time isn't worth the effort. Oh well. Good luck with your future sale.

Come to think of it.. I hope you're not getting scammed. Its only been two days.. has his check cleared? Even cashiers checks take a while to clear. You might want to wait a few days longer before giving him his money back, but that brings up other issues of who keeps the car in the interim, etc etc. Good luck

Bob
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:43 AM   #29

Just curious to know what you would've done had you spent the money before the buyer contacted you about unwinding the deal?
BeechSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:48 AM   #30
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
Sad. Sorry to hear you caved in like that. You've been taken advantage of and will probably live to regret it. The $300 you're getting for his use of the car and your time isn't worth the effort. Oh well. Good luck with your future sale.

Come to think of it.. I hope you're not getting scammed. Its only been two days.. has his check cleared? Even cashiers checks take a while to clear. You might want to wait a few days longer before giving him his money back, but that brings up other issues of who keeps the car in the interim, etc etc. Good luck

Bob

yeah his check cleared today.im about to go to the bank to give him a cashiers check. but thanks for asking
Old 08-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #31

Allow me to play a little devil's advocate here. Let's say you bought a used Boxster from a private party ( and you were stupid enough not to get a PPI ). The next day you take it to the dealer and are told that the car would require $5000 in repairs. Would you :

a. Say "oh well, I should have got a PPI"

or

b. Go back to the guy you bought it from and pitch a fit ?

blkboxster, I think you did the right, honorable thing, even though you were not aware the car needed the repairs and did not have to refund the money.

Karma, baby ! It WILL come back to you

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Karma, baby ! It WILL come back to you
That whole karma thing is for the birds. Did I kill anyone when the Cubs missed their chance to play in the Series in '69? '84? '89? '03?

Ron Swoboda is still alive, so is Will Clark, Leon Durham, Steve Garvey and Steve Bartman. So where is my Cub title???
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #33

Selling a car, even as a private party, should not be an exercise in utilizing every loophole in the law to scam as much money as possible out of the purchaser, then walk away with the money claiming caveat emptor.
You did the right thing, and retaining $300 for your trouble was more than fair.
Whether you fix the supposed problems before you resell, or disclose them to the next buyer is up to you, but in any event you will have a clear conscience.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #34

I have NO objections to doing the honorable thing. I've reimbursed several buyers half of unknown (to me) repairs needed on cars I've sold. That seems to me to be the fair thing to do. But in this case, the proposed repair bill is wayyyyy out of line for the reported problems. Half of the reasonable cost to fix the items would be a fair deal. Cancelling the sale would not, in any way, be an option to make this an honorable transaction. No, you don't want to take advantage of an ignorant buyer, but on the other hand, you don't want to be taken advantage of either.

Bob
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Selling a car, even as a private party, should not be an exercise in utilizing every loophole in the law to scam as much money as possible out of the purchaser, then walk away with the money claiming caveat emptor.
You did the right thing, and retaining $300 for your trouble was more than fair.
Whether you fix the supposed problems before you resell, or disclose them to the next buyer is up to you, but in any event you will have a clear conscience.
Hi,

Whether he did the right thing or not, only he can decide. My decision would have been a partial refund, no more. That isn't any less right.

Caveat Emptor is a real and viable principle, and applies whether the buyer was astute or ignorant. It cautions the Buyer to BEWARE. The principle doesn't become moot just because a Buyer chose to ignore it.

$25k is a lot of money and the Buyer is an Adult, making adult decisions, including some that effect all of us, such as casting a vote. The responsibility is purely on the Buyer to inspect the merchandise, ask appropriate questions and then act as they see fit. If the Buyer does not act responsibly, then, lacking any deliberate misrepresentation on the Seller's part, they forfeit the right to subsequent grievence.

Now, the Seller has a responsibility to represent the merchandise to the best of their ability. If the Buyer merely takes the Seller's word for it, without some form of corroboration from a PPI or at least a documented service history, and proceeds to buy the merchandise, the Seller is free and clear - he acted in good faith. If some items were deliberately misrepresented or omitted, then a different story.

But, all this is assumption and speculation. The fact is, none of us were a party to the sale or it's particulars. We are hearing only one side of the issue. Lacking any evidence to the contrary, we must take the Seller at his word that no misrepresentations were made.

But, it is a little strange that the Seller capitulated so readily in what otherwise should appear to be a straightforward transaction, leaving at least some shadow of doubt...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 08-30-2006 at 09:18 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:30 PM   #36

Garage
Without question you did the right thing. You lost nothing but a bit of time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Whether he did the right thing or not, only he can decide. My decision would have been a partial refund, no more. That isn't any less right.

Caveat Emptor is a real and viable principle, and applies whether the buyer was astute or ignorant. It cautions the Buyer to BEWARE. The principle doesn't become moot just because a Buyer chose to ignore it.

$25k is a lot of money and the Buyer is an Adult, making adult decisions, including some that effect all of us, such as casting a vote. The responsibility is purely on the Buyer to inspect the merchandise, ask appropriate questions and then act as they see fit. If the Buyer does not act responsibly, then, lacking any deliberate misrepresentation on the Seller's part, they forfeit the right to subsequent grievence.

Now, the Seller has a responsibility to represent the merchandise to the best of their ability. If the Buyer merely takes the Seller's word for it, without some form of corroboration from a PPI or at least a documented service history, and proceeds to buy the merchandise, the Seller is free and clear - he acted in good faith. If some items were deliberately misrepresented or omitted, then a different story.

But, all this is assumption and speculation. The fact is, none of us were a party to the sale or it's particulars. We are hearing only one side of the issue. Lacking any evidence to the contrary, we must take the Seller at his word that no misrepresentations were made.

But, it is a little strange that the Seller capitulated so readily in what otherwise should appear to be a straightforward transaction, leaving at least some shadow of doubt...

merplastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #37

It's a used car so he should have had it inspected BEFORE he bought it. If you didn't sell it to him with the option to have it inspected within so many days, it's not your problem. $5K in repairs on a Porsche at a dealer is not (relatively speaking) that big of a deal and they should expect it in the future.

I think you should tell him you're sorry you didn't know about the problems he's coming to you with, but that's just the way it goes if you don't do a PPI.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 AM   #38

Well I agree with most others here - if he did not take the time to check it out beforehand - it's his mistake and he needs to be accountable for his mistake.

Anyways, chalk it up to lesson learned and I would suggest that next time you clearly state it in the bill of sale that the vehicle is being sold as-is with no warranties expressed or implied. For exact "legal language" do a Google search on auto bill of sale.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #39

Wow, 25800 for a 99 with 15k? That's insane! I would have cut him a check for 5k, there's no way you are going to get that again! You can cut the check and still have done a decent sell:P
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Wow, 25800 for a 99 with 15k? That's insane! I would have cut him a check for 5k, there's no way you are going to get that again! You can cut the check and still have done a decent sell:P
Thats what i was going to say and was wondering if anyone else thought this! He most likely found out that he paid too much money for the car and the repairs were his excuse. Where did you come up with that price?

Good luck with re-sale. Use this as an experience and go with it.

Pat1USMC is offline   Reply With Quote