Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailering wiith a base 986

I have not read any posts of people setting up their Boxster to pull a small travel trailer. I was wondering who is doing this. I presume the exhaust needs rerouting to maybe exit the side to make room for the frame hitch. I would just use the smaller 1” receiver so maybe that will easily fit.? Any comments about people pulling trailers, either utility or small campers would be nice. Thank you

Gkk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #2

Some people pull little utility trailers with a set of track wheels and tires and maybe a toolbox.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #3

Thank you Mike....I just read of the Willwood Systems designs. Will be looking into this.
Gkk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

No exhaust rerouting necessary. The trailer chains can get hot though This is me, picture taken yesterday on the way to Carolina Motorsports Park.

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #5

I pull a single motorcycle trailer with my 02 Prius. The boxster should be up to the job. Where the black bumper extensions are looks inviting for some sort of custom hitch. Brakes might be a bit scary, but adjusting your driving style can overcome this.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Who's askin'?

Hey all:
So, I was looking at building a trailer hitch for my boxster, to tow a tiny little trailer with track wheels, folding canopy, etc.

When I pulled the license plate to have a look, I noticed that the threaded receiver for the tow hook is found dead- center in the bumper.... which begs the question:

How strong is that anchor point?
What if I built a simple attachment that threads in, just like the anchor point, with a trailer ball on it? Would that tow a 400lb load (gross- weight) down the road to the race track?
I mean... that's sure the "easy button". (As opposed to me tearing the bumper off and fabricating something more substantial, as I had intended)

Waddya know?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

A friend of mine used to tow that way in his Boxster before he moved to towing the whole car on the trailer. Had a plate welded on to an oem towhook and mounted a ball to that. My trailer hitch mounts to the bumperette points, i don't know if i would do the tow hole method or not, bit he did it. The logic is, if it is strong enough to winch the car up a trailer...

His rig is for sale for $650 in Sarasota fl, Southport trailer and hitch, it is a newer version and nicer than mine
Old 10-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
..... My trailer hitch mounts to the bumperette points .....
I found yours in another thread: simple, practical, convenient, and looks easy enough to fab-up in an afternoon. I think I'll do that tomorrow, and call it a day.

Do I need to send you a beverage coupon for the rights to use your design? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2018, 04:38 AM   #9

No coupon needed, my hitch came with my trailer, i think.it is the southsport hitch. I leave it on all the time
Old 10-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
Racer Boy

The OP says he wants to tow a small travel trailer. How heavy is the trailer?
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkk2001 View Post
I have not read any posts of people setting up their Boxster to pull a small travel trailer. I was wondering who is doing this. I presume the exhaust needs rerouting to maybe exit the side to make room for the frame hitch. I would just use the smaller 1” receiver so maybe that will easily fit.? Any comments about people pulling trailers, either utility or small campers would be nice. Thank you
A super light teardrop might work. Keep the weight and windage way down and you should be ok. The Boxster is geared really high so adding too much trailer would strain the clutch or Tip. Maybe something like this: https://golittleguy.com/lg-mypod/
Old 10-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
The OP says he wants to tow a small travel trailer. How heavy is the trailer?
I am not the OP.
I jumped into this OLD, but relevant thread, hoping to keep future searches easier.

The trailer I intend to tow is actually made to tow behind a motorcycle. It probably weighs 200lbs-ish, empty, and I'd add another 200#-ish (MAX) in tools, tires/wheels, camp chairs & folding canopy. It looks something like this (but older):

Old 10-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #13

That is a sweet looking trailer, keep in mind, 4 boxster wheels + tires weighs around 200 pounds so it is easy to get up to your max of 400#. I am going to take my trailer up to the dump one of these days and weigh it, and I'll share with the group when I do. When I tow I get 22-23 mph highway and that is the same I get when I drive highway without the trailer, so at least in that way it doesn't seem to affect me that much.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
That is a sweet looking trailer, keep in mind, 4 boxster wheels + tires weighs around 200 pounds so it is easy to get up to your max of 400#.
Seriously?!?!
I haven't weighed them, so I believe you... but man, I was guessing them around 30lbs/ea. Not 50lbs.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Seriously?!?!
I haven't weighed them, so I believe you... but man, I was guessing them around 30lbs/ea. Not 50lbs.
I am probably a little wrong But each one feels like around 50# to me. Let's see:

(Data from Tirerack.com)
Fronts - 225/45/17 Hankook R-S4 - 24 pounds x 2
Rears - 255/40/17 Hankook R-S4 - 26 pounds x 2
100 pounds of tires

OEM Porsche Boxster wheels, I'll use the Boxster S twist:
(Data from 944racing)
Front 17x7 ET 55 - 9.1kg - 20 pounds x 2
Rear 17x8.5 - 10.4kg - 23 pounds x 2
86 pounds of wheels

So ~186 pounds for wheels and tires. I guess other brands and sizes could be different.

That is actually a lot better than 200#, those extra 14 pounds could be tools, canopy, etc...

Dang they are heavy though