Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 01:42 AM   #1

Oil count down timer

Hey I’ve been curious I just picked up a 1999 Boxster and the previous owner said I have to wait out the count down timer it’s usually around 5 seconds. He said it’s for oil pressure to build up but I’ve done research and been confused between oil the oil pressure light and oil indicator light.
First day I drove it home I stalled it about 3 Times and it wouldn’t crank the timer said about 3-5 minutes is that normal? When I get in it regularly can I just start it or do I actually have to wait it out initially?
I plan to autocross the car here on Oahu and some times you spin out causing stalls so is this a good autocross car? I don’t want to be that guy that holds people up for the whole season because of my car.

Mahalo,
Ty Kaneshiro

Tyfromoahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:00 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
The timer (at ~5 seconds) on initial turn-on is just a countdown to determine the oil level. The longer timer ~60 minutes after it's been running is to allow the oil to settle before a good read is able to be taken.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:13 AM   #3

Garage
The oil pump is mechanical and only runs when the engine is running!
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
The dash gauge measures oil level, not oil pressure. Your car does not have a pressure gauge, only a low oil pressure warning light. If you have any doubts about your oil level you also have a dip stick in the trunk. Newer models only have the dash gauge.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:50 AM   #5

Garage
If you look at pg. 76 of the owners manual there is a page explaining of the oil level gauge. You can Google a copy of the manual if you don't have one.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
The timer (at ~5 seconds) on initial turn-on is just a countdown to determine the oil level. The longer timer ~60 minutes after it's been running is to allow the oil to settle before a good read is able to be taken.
Hey mahalo for responding.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8ked View Post
If you look at pg. 76 of the owners manual there is a page explaining of the oil level gauge. You can Google a copy of the manual if you don't have one.
Do you know why I couldn’t crank after I stalled?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyfromoahu View Post
I've seen this before - in the Boxster, if you stall, you have to turn the key all (or at least some of) the way off before attempting a restart. If you try and start from the "on" position (where the key was when you stalled) it won't engage the starter.

It is probably in the manual somewhere but this caught me out when I spun at an autocross and stalled the car... I went to restart and nothing happened until I cycled the key
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

Garage
Smile

Quote:
I think it is what SetevdOx said.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I've seen this before - in the Boxster, if you stall, you have to turn the key all (or at least some of) the way off before attempting a restart. If you try and start from the "on" position (where the key was when you stalled) it won't engage the starter.

It is probably in the manual somewhere but this caught me out when I spun at an autocross and stalled the car... I went to restart and nothing happened until I cycled the key
FWIW: this is not just the Boxster. Every European car I've owned since about model-year '95 has had this "feature". it prevents accidental engagement of the starter to an already-running car. If you stall (or if you turn the key and it doesn't start), you must return the key counter-clockwise to the "OFF" position before turning clockwise to start again.

But there is no "Timer" that counts down before you can start. As others have mentioned: there is an oil gauge that takes some time to read, but doesn't require you wait to start. And, again as others have mentioned: if the motor isn't running, there is no oil pressure. the gauge simply indicates level.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #11

Mahalo I’ll check it out later today. I hope I will get a positive response from my car?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
FWIW: this is not just the Boxster. Every European car I've owned since about model-year '95 has had this "feature". it prevents accidental engagement of the starter to an already-running car. If you stall (or if you turn the key and it doesn't start), you must return the key counter-clockwise to the "OFF" position before turning clockwise to start again.

But there is no "Timer" that counts down before you can start. As others have mentioned: there is an oil gauge that takes some time to read, but doesn't require you wait to start. And, again as others have mentioned: if the motor isn't running, there is no oil pressure. the gauge simply indicates level.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #12

How do you fully step by step cycle the key?
Mahalo,
Ty Kaneshiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post

Old 10-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
Who's askin'?

Quote:
How do you fully step by step cycle the key?
Mahalo,
Ty Kaneshiro
Don't overthink this, haha.
When you start the car, you turn the key clockwise to the "START" position. Then it rests in the "RUN" position.
If the motor stalls, the key is still in the "RUN" position, and must be "cycled" back, so turned counter-clockwise to "OFF" position before it can be turned clockwise to "START" again. This is what he means by "cycling the key".
Old 10-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #14

Oh thanks I guess im in such a panic I am not thinking straight thanks.

Mahalo,
Ty

Quote:
When you start the car, you turn the key clockwise to the "START" position. Then it rests in the "RUN" position.
If the motor stalls, the key is still in the "RUN" position, and must be "cycled" back, so turned counter-clockwise to "OFF" position before it can be turned clockwise to "START" again. This is what he means by "cycling the key".
Old 10-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #15
FoFoJoe

Garage
The key cycling was new to me too the first time I stalled the car, I came from a Miata where I could just turn the key without removing it.

Nothing to worry about like others said with the oil timer, if you are unsure just check the oil the old fashioned way with the dipstick once a week or so.
- FunctionFirst shift knob/short shift kit
- Focal speakers/Alpine amp/Kenwood deck/Pioneer 8" subs
FoFoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #16

Quote:
So it seems like I may have a wiring issue or something. When I went out to start it today the car didn’t start this is at about 5pm so not to cold for a cold start Hawaii is 81 degrees out. Anyway car didn’t want to crank but dash lights up. I tried again and it turned over. I’m pretty sure when I get in a “normal car” this doesn’t happen. Car runs but I’m just scared one day I’ll be out and aceedently stall the car and not be able to get it to turn over.
Do you have any suggestions?

Mahalo,
Ty Kaneshiro
Old 10-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #17

Even though it isn’t, (well it kind of is) I think of the countdown and other blinky lights as a “start up procedure”. Once everything settles down then I start the car. And yes, you need to fully turn the ignition off before restarting.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #18

I figured out one of my problems the key and ignition is very loose. I guess it does have 87,000 miles on her. So I have to push firmly at the same time turn to crank. If I let the key get kind of loose it only goes into accessory mode.

Mahalo for everyone’s help I cannot explain how much panic this brought to me thank you.

Mahalo,
Ty Kaneshiro
Old 10-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #19
Racer Boy

Bad ignition switches are a known issue on these cars, that may be what's going on.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
Who's askin'?

It sounds like you may have a bad ignition switch. This is a common problem on these cars. If you search, there are also common fixes.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tags
oil , oil indicator , startup