Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #1

Two quick questions for 996 clock upgrade project

Hi All,

I have purchased all of the parts necessary to do the 996 clock upgrade on my 2002 Boxster 986 S but just had a few questions i was hoping someone could kindly advise on:

1. If I install the new 996 oil sender switch now as the car is getting serviced on Friday, will I be okay the connect the new 2nd wire to its connector on the oil sender but then just leave the other end of it ready behind my current 986 dash clocks? Will the 996 sender work okay and give me the same function of the existing 986 oil sender? I was just thinking of asking the garage to switch them over so I can just install the clocks in a few weeks.

2. Can anyone tell me from the labels which clocks I have I.e from which 996? The breakers already had them on the shelf as the 2x stalks had broken. I will be replacing them shortly as have spares and then sending the clocks away for mileage adjustment. The clocks are the later type but just not sure if they are from a C2 or C4 as I read that can make a difference with the fuel gauge.

Here is a photo of my clocks

Thanks

Saxosim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxosim View Post

1. If I install the new 996 oil sender switch now as the car is getting serviced on Friday, will I be okay the connect the new 2nd wire to its connector on the oil sender but then just leave the other end of it ready behind my current 986 dash clocks? Will the 996 sender work okay and give me the same function of the existing 986 oil sender? I was just thinking of asking the garage to switch them over so I can just install the clocks in a few weeks.
Yes, you can install the 996/VDO 360-068 sender and hook up the warning terminal to the existing wire that is hooked to the current oil pressure warning switch (which will give you the same function as the current existing low oil pressure switch), and you can go ahead and hook up the 2nd wire and route it up to your dash without connecting it to anything, and then hook it up later when you install your new cluster.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Excellent thanks very much for the advice steve0x I appreciate it.

That’s question 2 answered :-)

Please can anyone advise re question 1 to tell me if it’s possible to identify what these 996 clocks came out of by any of the numbers shown on the label at the back?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I'm not sure it matters (C2 vs C4) since the fuel gauge can be recalibrated to match the tank size.

The procedure requires at least a PST-2 and involves placing a specified amount of fuel in the tank.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #5

I posted some information on the 996 to 986 cluster swap in this thread on Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/915925-programming-a-996-cluster-to-work-in-a-986-a.html

I cannot say exactly which car your cluster came out of, but it is what I refer to as a "new style" cluster in my instructions and it should be compatible with your 2002 Boxster. If someone can read the code on the EPROM for you, the VIN will be in it. You can use one of the VIN decoding web sites to determine the model of car in which the cluster started life.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #6

Thanks all I shall take a look