Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

Garage
Need help! Water in the driver's floor

I realize my problem is probably covered somewhere already, but after at least an hour of digging through threads, I couldn't find it, only some things related.

Anyway, 2001 Boxster 986. I've had some problems with the central locking, and was told I needed to replace both doorlock actuators (by dealer, and by reading forums), so I did that. It didn't change anything. At that time, everything worked as advertised, except that the passenger door wouldn't lock through any means. I also was getting the double horn chirp, so I knew there was a malfunction somewhere.

Before any more work could be done on that, I took the car in for service at my local shop while I was out of town for a week. The service went fine, but then while the car was sitting outside the shop, we had a couple of days of torrential rain. I went to pick up the car and it was dead. Hook up a jumper and when I turned the key the doorlocks went berserk (lots of rapid clicking), and nothing happened as far as starting the car. Strangely, it did result in the passenger door being locked!

What we found was a lot of water in the floor behind the driver's seat. It was a pool.

I had the car towed to the house. When it started being pulled up onto the truck (front end elevated), water started draining out from just in front of the driver's side rear wheel well.

I took the seat out and used a shop vac to suck up the water, and now I have a blower stuck under the carpet to try to dry out the foam. The M535 module was in water. I removed it and opened it up. It had a nasty amount of corrosion on the board, and the 15 amp fuse was toast. I cleaned it up and dried it using electrical contact cleaner, and replaced the fuse, then I put it back in the car and tested it.

I can't operate the windows, though they do correctly lower slightly when the door handles are pulled, and go back up when the doors are closed.
The car does nothing when I try to start it.
I can raise and lower the convertible top and spoiler.
I can't lock the doors or operate either trunk latch, either with the remote or the switches.
There are no horn chirps.
Also, the interior lights (as well as the lights in the trunks) aren't working either.

I have checked all the fuses and found no bad ones, except the 15 amp fuse on the M535 module itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't really know what to do next as far as the electrics go, and I need to figure out why it got so much water in it. I have never noticed any leaking at all when it rains, so I wonder if there might just be a clogged drain somewhere that caused it to overflow into the floor.

Tweetdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #2

Garage
I will go ahead and answer some of my own questions, since I've found out more since I posted this.

First of all, the source of the water was a clogged drain. Seems this is a pretty common issue. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it until it was too late. I've cleared that up now, but still have the problem of what is apparently a fried immobilizer control module.

I'm looking into the possibilities. One is ECU Doctors, which runs about $800. The other is to buy a new module (Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta has it for $442 on their online shop) and then take it to the dealer to get everything reprogrammed. I don't know the cost there yet, but it seems there can be a lot of variation, dependent on the dealer.

Am I right that buying a used one on ebay, or elsewhere, isn't really worth the risk?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweetdriver63 View Post
... the source of the water was a clogged drain. Seems this is a pretty common issue. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it until it was too late. I've cleared that up now, ...
Also consider getting a waterproof box for the immobilizer and making a small drain hole in the floor under the seat.
Quote:
I'm looking into the possibilities. One is ECU Doctors, which runs about...
ECU Doctors has done good work for some forum members and is actually on the forum from time to time. Qmulus has done repairs on these and may cost less than the other options if he has time.

Quote:
Am I right that buying a used one on ebay, or elsewhere, isn't really worth the risk?
There are some reliable eBay sellers that I trust. QualityPorscheParts is one of them.
Here on the forum classified section you can often buy a good set.
Itsnotanova (Woody) may have one: Parting out a whole lot of Boxsters
I have three spares from 2000 to 2002, one of which is in the classified section. All of mine only have one key.

I have repaired two flood salvaged Boxsters and both of them have a Immobilizer+DME+key fob from eBay. They work fine. The issue that may come up is that if you need a dealer to service your car, the DME will not have the correct VIN and other associated information. Not a big concern for me personally.

If you do buy a replacement set used, make sure that it matches the model of your car: Correct year range (DME version), Tiptronic or manual, Base or S, Same part number on the M535 box. Bonus points for more than one key and key fobs that are fully tested and guaranteed to work for remote locking/unlocking. You do NOT need a new key blade or ignition tumbler; you can just use your current key blade in the replacement fob(s).

Last edited by 78F350; 03-08-2018 at 07:12 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #4

I just went through this two weeks ago...

I just went through this two weeks ago. Get in touch with Steve, who goes by "Qmulus" on this board. He did awesome work for me with my water fried immobilizer board. He is responsive, quick, and his rates are the best you'll find anywhere. I can't recommend him highly enough.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #5

Welcome to the wet immobilizer club.
aviorperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #6

Garage
Your best bet is get a new immobilizer from a Porsche dealer get it programmed at the Porsche dealer and then you will be worry free. It's warranted for two years.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

Garage
Turns out my insurance covers this. The car is on its way to the dealer, and I'll just be paying my deductible.

Lucky me!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #8

Garage
Excellent, who do you insure with? I know that some of these cars have been totaled for very minor flooding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Also consider getting a waterproof box for the immobilizer and making a small drain hole in the floor under the seat.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Excellent, who do you insure with? I know that some of these cars have been totaled for very minor flooding.
I'm insured with USAA. Water damage is covered under comprehensive. It listed "water damage" and "flooding" separately, so I figured it was worth calling them. The car currently lives outside, and under pine trees. We had really really heavy rains last week while I was out of town working, and enough pine straw/needles and other debris came down on the car to stop up the drain.

I will definitely waterproof the immobilizer after this.

Last edited by Tweetdriver63; 03-09-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If you put a drain hole near the CLU, never drive through standing water....
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #11

Garage
Fixed: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
If you put a drain hole near the CLU, Never drive through standing water that is deeper than your floor board....
Old 03-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #12
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Maybe a smaller version of this would work (it's upside down in the picture), my 924S has these in the rear quarters.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote