View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
Tweetdriver63

Garage
Need help! Water in the driver's floor

I realize my problem is probably covered somewhere already, but after at least an hour of digging through threads, I couldn't find it, only some things related.

Anyway, 2001 Boxster 986. I've had some problems with the central locking, and was told I needed to replace both doorlock actuators (by dealer, and by reading forums), so I did that. It didn't change anything. At that time, everything worked as advertised, except that the passenger door wouldn't lock through any means. I also was getting the double horn chirp, so I knew there was a malfunction somewhere.

Before any more work could be done on that, I took the car in for service at my local shop while I was out of town for a week. The service went fine, but then while the car was sitting outside the shop, we had a couple of days of torrential rain. I went to pick up the car and it was dead. Hook up a jumper and when I turned the key the doorlocks went berserk (lots of rapid clicking), and nothing happened as far as starting the car. Strangely, it did result in the passenger door being locked!

What we found was a lot of water in the floor behind the driver's seat. It was a pool.

I had the car towed to the house. When it started being pulled up onto the truck (front end elevated), water started draining out from just in front of the driver's side rear wheel well.

I took the seat out and used a shop vac to suck up the water, and now I have a blower stuck under the carpet to try to dry out the foam. The M535 module was in water. I removed it and opened it up. It had a nasty amount of corrosion on the board, and the 15 amp fuse was toast. I cleaned it up and dried it using electrical contact cleaner, and replaced the fuse, then I put it back in the car and tested it.

I can't operate the windows, though they do correctly lower slightly when the door handles are pulled, and go back up when the doors are closed.
The car does nothing when I try to start it.
I can raise and lower the convertible top and spoiler.
I can't lock the doors or operate either trunk latch, either with the remote or the switches.
There are no horn chirps.
Also, the interior lights (as well as the lights in the trunks) aren't working either.

I have checked all the fuses and found no bad ones, except the 15 amp fuse on the M535 module itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't really know what to do next as far as the electrics go, and I need to figure out why it got so much water in it. I have never noticed any leaking at all when it rains, so I wonder if there might just be a clogged drain somewhere that caused it to overflow into the floor.
Tweetdriver63 is offline   Reply With Quote