Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
duke2003boxster

Check engine light 2003 Porsche boxstet

Help!!, My check engine light is illuminating, My put my old scanner on the car and it's not showing any faults. Can anyone provide me a direction i should consider. I first thought I needed to replace the 2 camshaft sensors or the oxygen sensors. I also thought I should consider replacing the AOS. I don't want to just fix other stuff if it doesn't solve my proplem. I'm a DIYer, so I hope someone can help.

baumnutde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Sounds like a bad scanner. Have an auto parts store check for codes.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Go to an Autozone or other parts store and have your codes read. No sense in replacing random parts in hopes of fixing it.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Go to an Autozone or other parts store and have your codes read. No sense in replacing random parts in hopes of fixing it.
Yeah I agree. Also, a failing AOS has other symptoms also, like white smoke on cold starts and abnormal idling...
Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
duke2003boxster

Follow up to vel issue

Okay, DIYers, I used a better scanner and got P0344, which is replace camshaft sensor bank1, finally found where to replace sensor, right front of engine, left sensor left rear of engine, check engine light gone. Thanks for all your help
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baumnutde View Post
Okay, DIYers, I used a better scanner and got P0344, which is replace camshaft sensor bank1, finally found where to replace sensor, right front of engine, left sensor left rear of engine, check engine light gone. Thanks for all your help
You found the camshaft sensors where????

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
duke2003boxster

Follow up to camshaft sensor issue

I have replaced the 2 camshaft sensors for my 2003 Porsche boxster, however, I still keep getting the CEL light on my dash. Any help regarding what I need to check next would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
I have replaced the 2 camshaft sensors for my 2003 Porsche boxster, however, I still keep getting the CEL light on my dash. Any help regarding what I need to check next would be appreciated.
What code(s) is it throwing?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #9

Sorry for being Capt Obvious, but did you clear the codes after replacing the sensors? The codes don't go away by themselves.

And not sure about everyone else's auto parts stores, but here in Neb they can only check the codes, they can't clear them. That change has only come in to play in the last yr.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #10
duke2003boxster

Okay update. Used a better scanner and got the P0344 code. Replaced both camshaft position sensors. Cleared the codes, but they keep coming back after a short drive 30 miles or less. therefore, I'm attempting to determine what other issues could be causing this problem. Very frustrating because can't get car smogged without this matter being cleared up. Again thought about oxygen sensors (car has 78K miles, however, haven't gotten any other codes which would indicate sensor issue. Please help
Old 01-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Okay update. Used a better scanner and got the P0344 code. Replaced both camshaft position sensors. Cleared the codes, but they keep coming back after a short drive 30 miles or less. therefore, I'm attempting to determine what other issues could be causing this problem. Very frustrating because can't get car smogged without this matter being cleared up. Again thought about oxygen sensors (car has 78K miles, however, haven't gotten any other codes which would indicate sensor issue. Please help
This fault code (P0344) is pretty clear.

P0344 Camshaft position sensor 1 - open circuit

Possible fault cause:
- Camshaft rotor (phase sensor wheel) damaged.

You need to the check camshaft rotor for damage.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #12
duke2003boxster

Okay, DIYer, how difficult is replacing the Camshaft rotor (phase sensor wheel). I'm so frustrated with this issue after changing the camshaft sensor on the right front side (2003) and still getting the CEL light each time I reset it. I can't get the car smogged until I get this matter resolved. I"ve already been quoted an estimate of $800.00 to do this OUCH!!!, Any help from the group would really be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Okay, DIYer, how difficult is replacing the Camshaft rotor (phase sensor wheel). I'm so frustrated with this issue after changing the camshaft sensor on the right front side (2003) and still getting the CEL light each time I reset it. I can't get the car smogged until I get this matter resolved. I"ve already been quoted an estimate of $800.00 to do this OUCH!!!, Any help from the group would really be appreciated.
Just to clarify, you can't get your car smog tested if there is a CEL light on OR it is giving you the Camshaft rotor error? If so, will your car not pass if you simply take out the CEL bulb (a 15 minute job) from the cluster?
Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-Eh View Post
...you can't get your car smog tested if there is a CEL light on ?
^^ This is correct. ^^

To be more specific, illumination of the CEL light bulb is not what matters; the smog test equipment checks the ECU for emission failure codes and will not pass a car with a code.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
simply take out the CEL bulb (a 15 minute job) from the cluster?
Is this your "go-to" solution for CELs? I ask because this is the second time you've offered it as a "solution" in little more than a week. You should not be recommending this to others.

If you're not capable of fixing a car, you should look in to getting a regular mechanic that can.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #16

SO glad we don't have smog BS checks here anymore!

But yeah, disabling the CEL is just stupid. Sorry. It is there for a reason, and with these engines should be paid attention to. To the OP, you will need to get it fixed one way or another.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Is this your "go-to" solution for CELs? I ask because this is the second time you've offered it as a "solution" in little more than a week. You should not be recommending this to others.

If you're not capable of fixing a car, you should look in to getting a regular mechanic that can.
Hahaha.... removing warning lights IS fixing it I have a Autel MaxiDiag Elite for when things really do break. Speaking of which, I'll post a new thread for you PW that if I can't fix (code 46) will result in another bulb being pulled Pretty soon, I think I will have no cluster - might as well remove that too.

OP: Wow, okay. Let's see if we can't get that sorted for you then.

Cheers.
Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #18
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
In WI, the first thing they check is the check engine light by shutting the car off and then turning on the ignition switch.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Hahaha.... removing warning lights IS fixing it I have a Autel MaxiDiag Elite for when things really do break. Speaking of which, I'll post a new thread for you PW that if I can't fix (code 46) will result in another bulb being pulled Pretty soon, I think I will have no cluster - might as well remove that too.

OP: Wow, okay. Let's see if we can't get that sorted for you then.

Cheers.
I hate those idiot lights, they are so frustrating but that much satisfying to turn them off with the right fixes!

I did combat numbers of CEL issues triggered by O2 sensors, MAF, and SEI valves, as well as airbag SRS light issues due to receptacles, corroded terminals and broken clock springs, during my 20-month ownership.

The other day the orange light lit during my morning commute and I was like what's now.... Then realized that it was just a low washer fluid light, whew! Will you kill that light too while you are at taking them out?
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #20
duke2003boxster

Okay gang, latest update regarding camshaft sensor issue. I've reordered the Borsch camshaft sensor and will be installing it this evening. In addition, Car will be serviced by Bauer Porsche in Oakland, CA so we can attempt to resolve this matter. Several of you indicated the camshaft rotor might be damaged, but I haven't gotten any word of where it's located and how to repair it. Any help would be appreciated.