Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #21
Damn Yankee

Garage
In retrospect, maybe the stock setup would be best?

Just sayin'..............

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:01 AM   #22

The FVD Sound version has been getting excellent reviews, saying it has no drone but beefier sound. I do not have one yet, but you would be correct if you want 100% sure no drone then stock, but in my opinion and many other others the stock muffler is lacking.

Last edited by Cunningr; 05-16-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:43 AM   #23
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

FVD Brombacher Sound Version.

Just buy one.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #24
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
In retrospect, maybe the stock setup would be best?

Just sayin'..............

TO
Yeah I get what you're saying, but I can't seem to let well enough alone. I'm sure the stock muffler will go back on after I perform an internal bypass mod on it.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
FVD Brombacher Sound Version.

Just buy one.
+1 ^

FVD Brombacher Sound Version muffler and Top Speed (or other) secondary cat delete pipes sound amazing. No drone, louder but reasonable at idle and steady highway cruising, and pure flat 6 wail at WOT/high RPM. One of my favorite mods.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #26

I would love to hear a really bad drone. I have a beluga on mine and I think it drones a bit between 2700 and 3000. It's really not bad and I just think of it as the car saying "Let's dance". I am just curious if what is not bad to me is bad to others.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #27

For me I found that it reverberated at frequency that felt like it was vibrating my head. It just made my head sore. It's a really cheap system that obviously wasn't acoustically engineered lol. I mean just look at the thing.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #28
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I think a lot of the drone was due to the fact the one of my clamps between the cat and C pipe is past it's prime. I tightened it as much as I could with a 3/8 ratchet. The drone at this point was unreal. It truly sounded like a 120 decibel pipe organ playing around 50hz was behind my head. That was with the top down, up it was even louder. Since I torqued the heck out of the clamp with a 2 foot breaker bar it's much quieter now. I'm sure I could tighten it even more, but i'm scared the bolts will break.
Either way once it gets out of the drone zone it sounds awesome. I will put the new clamps on when they arrive. If that doesn't get rid of it i'll try the baffles.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #29
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
OK new clamps came on Friday, so I installed them. While I had the C pipes off, I tried a baffle. On the passenger side I cut the end off one of the baffles and put it in the C pipe closest to the muffler. This cut the drone down about 75%. Today I put the other baffle in the drivers side C pipe. On this side I used the entire baffle wrapped with hi temp fiberglass. This is the way it came from Car Chemistry. This set up dropped the drone to about 99% gone. It might be too quiet now. I may open the passenger side back up and take another inch or two off that baffle. The way it is now it is basically sounding like the stock system with a crios mod at idle. WOT it is a little louder and deeper. On over run I can hear some burbles. I'll roll with it for a few weeks before i mess with it.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #30

Anybody tried welding a pipe to unite the mufflers?
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #31
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNIcecube View Post
Anybody tried welding a pipe to unite the mufflers?
I have seen a few guys try that.....they said it doesn't work, still drones.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #32
Who's askin'?

This looks like the right place to post some experience with the "Beluga" mufflers, from Ebay.
In another thread, I was downright insistent that mine did not drone. As a matter of fact, I suggested that others might not know what "drone" really is.

Fast-forward 2000 miles on the unit: yeah, mine began to drone. Between about 2200 rpm and 3000 rpm. It's not horrible, and certainly not "unbearable", as some report. But who knows: maybe it continues to get worse? I don't know. But it should have occurred to me that any muffler using a "packing" of any sort to attenuate sound would experience some changes as it ages.

In the meantime, however: What HAS become unbearable to me, is the rattling from inside the mufflers.

I first noticed it within about 2 weeks of installation. When I'd start the car, I'd hear a ringing-rattle from the left can. Once warm, it would diminish, or sometimes stop. But it became progressively worse. I contacted Beluga, in Galveston TX. They confirmed they have a 1-year warranty period for defects in workmanship, but they require I send the unit back to them for inspection. I decided to live with it until winter.
BUT: it kept gettting worse and worse, and eventually the right side was doing it as well. I once stuck a length of coat-hanger wire up the can, and managed to hook it on the perforated inner-pipe. Putting just the slightest tension on it made the sound go away entirely. So eventually I ran a borescope in and took a look. Sure enough: the inner, perforated steel pipe was rattling against the outer stainless housing. My guess is that they tack-weld it in place, and the welds are insufficient. That both sides did it concerns me that it may not be an isolated event.

I removed it to send back to them, since I was down and out for abit with a bad clutch. Holding it in my hands and shaking it, before I placed it int he box, I was able to reproduce the sound enough to confirm that they will be able to understand the problem when it gets back to Beluga, tomorrow.

I have no reason to expect they won't honor the warranty. I'll keep you updated.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
This looks like the right place to post some experience with the "Beluga" mufflers, from Ebay.
I have no reason to expect they won't honor the warranty. I'll keep you updated.

They honored the warranty on mine, sent me a new one no hassle, after I sent the original back to them.

https://youtu.be/9t9zPeEq2jQ
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #34
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
They honored the warranty on mine, sent me a new one no hassle, after I sent the original back to them.

https://youtu.be/9t9zPeEq2jQ
Yup! That's the sound!
Old 08-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Yup! That's the sound!
Thanks that’s pretty much what I hear at idle. Otherwise I really enjoy the exhaust.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #36

Quote:

If they replace the system with the same, won't it have the defect as well? It sounds like bad assembly practices.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #37
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
If they replace the system with the same, won't it have the defect as well? It sounds like bad assembly practices.
That's precisely my concern. But the warranty was for replacement only, not refund. So, if it happens again, I'll cut it open and fix it myself. Pfft.... I don't mind welding stainless.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:

After I installed my muffler I sent Beluga an email asking about clamping suggestions to try to eliminate drone. They never responded and I gave up after a couple tries, their customer service falls a bit short. Hopefully your warranty return will go smoothly. I sold the unit to a guy who was going to track his Boxster. I don't miss it at all.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #39

Beluga racing refused to warranty my exhaust rattle because the car changed hands despite having receipts and proof of purchase from March this year. They did however provide me a discount on a newer unit. I finally got around to installing it today, I was getting really tired of my boxster sounding like a tin of marbles.

It looks like they updated their exhaust design/ bought from a different manufacturer. You can see the old exhaust had a crossover vs the new exhaust which is more like fabspeed max flow mufflers with no crossover and they added a beluga name plate to one of the cans. I’m just hoping it lasts and the exhaust doesn’t drone too bad.

I do plan to take the old exhaust to a shop and see if they’re willing to replicate something similar but with larger diameter piping.

I’ll update with pictures later this forum isn’t super user friendly
Old 10-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #40
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I'll be adding them to vendors with whom I won't do business. Sounds shady. **************** those types.

Thanks for the updates apprising of the stellar customer service.

Edit: Only four letters in the ******* above.