Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

A question about Boxster 01 overflow pipe.

Or two. Does the overflow pipe from the reservoir terminate just behind the rt. rear wheel and flow out onto the ground? Can't find anything in any diagrams and my poor car was so mistreated for most of its life.

Second question, I replaced the reservoir, the old one was leaking. The car was spewing coolant out thru the overflow hose and onto the pavement (not good.) Yesterday, it did it again and the motor got vewy hot! I'm wondering if it might be pressurizing because of a (maybe) cracked cylinder. I'm also wondering if when I replace the old engine with a known good one if this problem will be solved. (I guess that's technically three questions.

Lots to do still, but I'm bringing it back.:ah:

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Overflow is near the right side rear passenger wheel. Your overflow problem is probably caused by overheating due to a bad water pump, but you need to do some investigating before replacing the engine.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #3

Garage
So many questions to your questions.
Overflow is through a hose in FRONT of RR tire. The reservoir you replaced leaks in the trunk which will empty through the air circulation vent opening in the right corner of the trunk, this appears BEHIND the RR tire. So question one is did you use a Genuine reservoir or something aftermarket and Two did you use Airlift to fill system or purge properly?

Last edited by 911monty; 11-30-2017 at 09:55 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Does the overflow pipe from the reservoir terminate just behind the rt. rear wheel and flow out onto the ground?
As Monty said, the coolant overflow pipe typically empties onto the ground in front of the right rear wheel. Coolant behind the right rear wheel is generally more indicative of a coolant reservoir leak but you said that you just replaced the reservoir so it must be coming from another source.

Priority #1 is to get under the car and trace the wetness back to the source (coolant overflow pipe or something else). Let us know what you find.

Quote:
Second question, I replaced the reservoir, the old one was leaking. The car was spewing coolant out thru the overflow hose and onto the pavement (not good.) Yesterday, it did it again and the motor got vewy hot! I'm wondering if it might be pressurizing because of a (maybe) cracked cylinder.
Well, anything is possible but its more likely that the engine is getting hot because either the coolant is still leaking somewhere or there is still air in the coolant system. As Monty suggested, refill and do a really good purge to see if that helps.

Quote:
I'm also wondering if when I replace the old engine with a known good one if this problem will be solved.
Its hard to say yes or no because it depends on the root cause of the issue. For example, if the cause is a leaky aftermarket coolant tank (despite being new) then replacing the engine won't help. But if its a cracked cylinder or a cracked head/head gasket, then yes. With all of that being said, it shouldn't take an engine replacement to get to the source of your coolant problem. Once you know the root cause, the path forward will be pretty clear.

Quote:
Lots to do still, but I'm bringing it back.:ah:
Great job thus far, the car looks fantastic and those are my favorite stock Boxster wheels.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-30-2017 at 10:43 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:25 AM   #5

I'm replacing the engine because it burns, leaks oil. I know it's been overheated at least 3 times and one of those was a very bad one. I have a nice engine, one of those that was rebuilt by Porsche with a much better IMS, in my carport and am planning to get started on it tomorrow. The replacement motor is getting the usual stuff, new main seal, new front seal, new plugs and tubes, motor mount, trans mounts. Also cat back exhaust, headers, and I'm going to evaluate the drone and maybe put on some resonators.

Yes, the overflow is draining out in front of the rt rear wheel. The tank is aftermarket and doesn't leak. When I put the new tank in I did use and I did use my Airlift when filling it. It is not leaking anywhere else under there. Only at the overflow hose. Thanks for the clarification, I think I have it back together right.

I'm experienced in other cars and trucks, pretty good at Prius. I'm still a bit of a newbie on the Porsche and part of trying to correct other people's mistakes is to try to figure out what they did wrong.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 11-30-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #6

Understand you wanting to go ahead and replace the motor. When you get this one out, pull the water pump and see what it looks like. These cars are know to go through water pumps....
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Understand you wanting to go ahead and replace the motor. When you get this one out, pull the water pump and see what it looks like. These cars are know to go through water pumps....
I will. Planning to do a teardown to see what the engine looks like inside. I wonder if there's any value in a decent rebuildable core?