View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Does the overflow pipe from the reservoir terminate just behind the rt. rear wheel and flow out onto the ground?
As Monty said, the coolant overflow pipe typically empties onto the ground in front of the right rear wheel. Coolant behind the right rear wheel is generally more indicative of a coolant reservoir leak but you said that you just replaced the reservoir so it must be coming from another source.

Priority #1 is to get under the car and trace the wetness back to the source (coolant overflow pipe or something else). Let us know what you find.

Quote:
Second question, I replaced the reservoir, the old one was leaking. The car was spewing coolant out thru the overflow hose and onto the pavement (not good.) Yesterday, it did it again and the motor got vewy hot! I'm wondering if it might be pressurizing because of a (maybe) cracked cylinder.
Well, anything is possible but its more likely that the engine is getting hot because either the coolant is still leaking somewhere or there is still air in the coolant system. As Monty suggested, refill and do a really good purge to see if that helps.

Quote:
I'm also wondering if when I replace the old engine with a known good one if this problem will be solved.
Its hard to say yes or no because it depends on the root cause of the issue. For example, if the cause is a leaky aftermarket coolant tank (despite being new) then replacing the engine won't help. But if its a cracked cylinder or a cracked head/head gasket, then yes. With all of that being said, it shouldn't take an engine replacement to get to the source of your coolant problem. Once you know the root cause, the path forward will be pretty clear.

Quote:
Lots to do still, but I'm bringing it back.:ah:
Great job thus far, the car looks fantastic and those are my favorite stock Boxster wheels.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-30-2017 at 10:43 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote