Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2006, 08:46 AM   #1

AHAHAH! Wonderful Track Day!!!

Man, yesterday was superb. First time out with the new M030 RoW set-up and a more agressive alignment. Also, i've been practicing a lot.... I ran down an R32 Volkswagen, two C5 'Vettes, a Superformance Cobra, and a couple of other Boxsters. WOW what a time.

My tires, on the other hand, have seen better days. my right front became prone to this chunking problem i've never seen before. see pic below. FYI, i run -2.0 deg camber in the rear and -1.0 deg camber up front. the tire below had about 1,500 miles on it and ONE 20 min session on the track. cold pressure was 35psi, hot pressure was 40psi (225/40/18). anyone have any ideas what this means?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:08 AM   #2

Garage
OMG--they look toasted!

Which tire is it?
How warm a day at the track was it?

Can't say I've seen anything like it; were they R compound tires?

My PS2's have been great so far with one track day in the 80's.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #3

this is the front right tire after a single 25 minute session at little talladega (12 turn road course). at the time, it was about 77 degrees out; there was a little cloud cover that kept the asphalt out of direct sunlight for the morning as well. the session was counter-clockwise, so most turns were left handers. there's a LONG carousel / skidpad on the course that's likely the heat-builder of the track.

we switched directions and ran clockwise in the afternoon. while the other front tire did wear excessively on the outer edge, it didn't chunk apart like the other one. it was also MUCH hotter (mid 90's) in the afternoon. it just seems like something strange happened to that one tire. also FYI there was not debris issue and no off-track excursion that could have played a roll. the chunking in the photo occured all the way around the tire; it wasn't localized.

either way, looks like i'll need a LOT more camber up front for the next go. this was my first outing with the M030 / RoW set-up.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote