Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
MWS

Windshield replacement options

I have a small stone chip that was "repaired" a couple of years ago, it is smooth to touch and almost unnoticeable, almost...

When driving, and the sun hits it just right, it becomes prismatic and is a great distraction. I am (finally) just going to replace the windshield, but having been a victim of a poor aftermarket windshield on another car many years ago (it was like looking though a fish tank), I am leery of of accepting a non-OEM replacement....unfortunately the shops I have spoke with do not have the info for a true OEM replacement.

Can anyone confirm the OEM glass for an '01, or am I just being too anal and I shouldn't be concerned about aftermarket glass, or if I should be concerned, any company that I should definitely refuse?

As always, thanks in advance.

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

Two choices for oem ...

Green section at top

All clear
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 PM   #3

Safelite got me an OEM glass windshield, I can't remember the name but it is printed on the other windows too I think. I can look tonight and post it here.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Safelite got me an OEM glass windshield, I can't remember the name but it is printed on the other windows too I think. I can look tonight and post it here.
Saint-Gobain Sekurit
Old 08-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #5

Go with Safelite.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Saint-Gobain Sekurit
Yes, thank you. I got the one with the green tint at the top. What a difference, the old Pinkington or whatever previous replacement was in there was totally sandblasted.

Instead of safelite mobile they had me come in and 3 guys worked on it in the shop.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
MWS

Thanks for the Saint-Gobain info. My existing is stamped that way too, but as second owner (even though I've hd for 10 years) I wasn't sure it was original.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #8

Garage
Went with Safelight to replace a cracked widshield. Did it all online and took the car to a nearby shop. Not a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless: Their online form for starting the process has you select the car. They had Boxster but no Boxster S. I had forgotten that the S came with a shiny strip in the rubber around the windshield and tint at the top. I could have selected the "my car isn't listed" option but I was in a hurry. The job was done fine, but since it was an insurance claim my cost would have been the same for an S or a base boxste

Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote