986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Windshield replacement options (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/68168-windshield-replacement-options.html)

MWS 08-10-2017 09:13 AM

Windshield replacement options

I have a small stone chip that was "repaired" a couple of years ago, it is smooth to touch and almost unnoticeable, almost...

When driving, and the sun hits it just right, it becomes prismatic and is a great distraction. I am (finally) just going to replace the windshield, but having been a victim of a poor aftermarket windshield on another car many years ago (it was like looking though a fish tank), I am leery of of accepting a non-OEM replacement....unfortunately the shops I have spoke with do not have the info for a true OEM replacement.

Can anyone confirm the OEM glass for an '01, or am I just being too anal and I shouldn't be concerned about aftermarket glass, or if I should be concerned, any company that I should definitely refuse?

As always, thanks in advance. :)

lkchris 08-10-2017 11:07 AM

Two choices for oem ...

Green section at top

All clear

steved0x 08-10-2017 12:19 PM

Safelite got me an OEM glass windshield, I can't remember the name but it is printed on the other windows too I think. I can look tonight and post it here.

JFP in PA 08-10-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 546623)
Safelite got me an OEM glass windshield, I can't remember the name but it is printed on the other windows too I think. I can look tonight and post it here.

Saint-Gobain Sekurit

Porsche9 08-10-2017 01:05 PM

Go with Safelite.

steved0x 08-10-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 546624)
Saint-Gobain Sekurit

Yes, thank you. I got the one with the green tint at the top. What a difference, the old Pinkington or whatever previous replacement was in there was totally sandblasted.

Instead of safelite mobile they had me come in and 3 guys worked on it in the shop.

MWS 08-11-2017 09:59 AM

Thanks for the Saint-Gobain info. My existing is stamped that way too, but as second owner (even though I've hd for 10 years) I wasn't sure it was original.

Cbonilla 08-11-2017 02:35 PM

Went with Safelight to replace a cracked widshield. Did it all online and took the car to a nearby shop. Not a big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless: Their online form for starting the process has you select the car. They had Boxster but no Boxster S. I had forgotten that the S came with a shiny strip in the rubber around the windshield and tint at the top. I could have selected the "my car isn't listed" option but I was in a hurry. The job was done fine, but since it was an insurance claim my cost would have been the same for an S or a base boxste