Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #21

Great drive for me two years ago, never saw LE.

More info here: Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap

I also recommend Diamondback 226 (routes in the site above).
Diamondback 226 ? Motorcycle and Sportcar Touring Routes near Little Switzerland and Blue Ridge Parkway North Carolina Drive from South to North (clockwise) going up the mountain, or you will be white-knuckled 20 mph going down.

NC 80 is a great drive, too. And NC 194 between Vilas and Banner Elk, I had to pull over and get my breath back after driving that.

DBear

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipstien View Post
I go all the time. If you want a locals opinion just go either in the evening's during the week or at night on the weekends. The cops sit up there during the busy time and get people doing 10mph over or more. More often they will pull you over for crossing a line and being just unsafe. Don't speed on the straight roads on the way there on the Tennessee side. The NC side isn't bad for cops going to Robinsville/Cherohala Skyway(which I highly recommend) or to the Fontana dam on what is called the Hellbender.
I was up there this past Sunday and saw one state trooper coming down the mountain but none on top. It was after 5pm on Sunday.
I use to spend a lot of time up there. Just be careful. It requires full attention on the road and surrounding areas, IE pull offs. Let people pass that catch up. You aren't as fast as the locals that have cars and bikes built for just the gap. Above all don't try to keep up with others.
It can be a really fun road and I think everyone should enjoy it at least a few times with the first being slow and just learning the crazy road. There are wrecks up there daily. Some much worse than others.

Let me know if you want a buddy. I really enjoy that drive.
I wish i saw this message sooner! I took my 2001 Boxster S down the Dragon today and it was fantastic! Saw one cop going down the tail, and one cop on the way back. When i get home, ill get my dashcam video edited and posted on youtube. Thanks for the advice!

Joe
Snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #23

Im happy to report i made it through the Dragon, un-wrecked! Lol. I cant believe how well my car grabs the road. The Dragon was very open today, not much traffic, and only a couple cops. I ran the absolute hell outta my car. On the return trip i never shifted out of 2nd gear. Lol. Speed varied from 10-55ish mph. Im pretty comfy in my car, but this road pushed me to my limits of driving ability, but im very pleased at how i did. Nobody was riding my ass, and every car or bike that was in front of me, got outta my way. Lol. It was an amazing trip!

Joe
Old 07-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnaAp5Hw_TE

Not the best video quality, but still turned out ok.

Joe