986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tail of the Dragon (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/67556-tail-dragon.html)

Snipershot 07-05-2017 05:29 PM

Tail of the Dragon

Anyone drive their boxster down this road? Im gonna do it in the next day or two. These roads in this area were made for Boxsters!

Joe

Lew 07-05-2017 05:44 PM

All I can say is Good Luck!

dghii 07-05-2017 05:50 PM

Not my Boxster but I've driven it in a 99 M Roadster (in 2002) and an 03 Z4 (3.0 manual) in 2004.

It was lots of fun but can be very crowded. There are plenty of other roads in the area that are less crowded and just as fun. I wish I could remember the highway numbers but I can't. Just ask around once you get up there. Lots of nice folks in the area.

Paul 07-05-2017 06:22 PM

Several times, was much more fun when the speed limit was 55 (now 35). A must do.

Pdwight 07-05-2017 06:32 PM

If you speed

You will get a ticket at the Dragon

SC-986 07-05-2017 06:47 PM

Don't forget the Cherohala Skyway. Another great road you can use to tie into the "dragon" and make a great loop.:D

Paul 07-05-2017 06:50 PM

+1 a good days adventure.

Lew 07-05-2017 07:05 PM

I recall a girl on one of the custom car shows was doing a video driving the Tale of the Dragon in a Boxster.....Finally the man driving let her in the drivers seat and shortly after rounding a sharp curve and speeding away there sat a cop just off the paving edge....She received a piece of unwanted paper for sure. The video might be on Youtube. I suggest looking at some of the video's on Youtube.....It's the other's you have to watch out for....Big Trucks are constantly crashing into other vehicles. Motorcycles are cleaning out ditches also.

Lew 07-05-2017 07:12 PM

This is the video I was talking about in my previous posting.

https://youtu.be/oDLJNeTnFAk

Paul 07-05-2017 07:12 PM

Don't miss visiting the tree that motorcyclists hang up pieces of their wrecked bikes.

Porsche9 07-05-2017 10:30 PM

Watch for the cops. I saw plenty of people pulled over while visiting last year.

kk2002s 07-06-2017 03:46 AM

Did it a couple times 2 years back. Was fun but you have to time it so no motorcycles are in front of you. It was a Tuesday and there were no police out that time.
I'm planning a trip down there the week after next, Skyline, Blue Ridge, Tail and Cherohala Skyway. Camping along the way.
The Boxster is a great RV

Enjoy and stay in your lanes. The most dangerous thing is others coming at you in your lane

spinedoc 07-06-2017 07:10 AM

There's some great driving, albeit a little less famous, along the St. Croix here in Minnesota/Wisconsin. Also, the drive along the north shore of Lake Superior can be fun.

Have never driven the Tail, but will someday.

Mike

sharkbyte 07-06-2017 07:45 AM

Agree with what everyone said. I was up there in my 986 meeting dad with his 981 a couple of months ago. Check out Moonshiner's 28 - starts at TOD and heads to SC. Longer and a prettier drive. All the roads up there are enjoyable and the 986 is the perfect car. Definitely don't need much power, it's about balance and agility. It wasn't too busy when I was there but probably early in the season, I've heard it's usually far worse. There are many people who seem to think they should be race car drivers, tailgating and generally driving like idiots. Fortunately, there are also lots of places to pull over and let them by.

And what others have mentioned - lots of cops. Especially on motorcycles which blend in very well.

Have fun!

mipstien 07-06-2017 10:36 AM

I go all the time. If you want a locals opinion just go either in the evening's during the week or at night on the weekends. The cops sit up there during the busy time and get people doing 10mph over or more. More often they will pull you over for crossing a line and being just unsafe. Don't speed on the straight roads on the way there on the Tennessee side. The NC side isn't bad for cops going to Robinsville/Cherohala Skyway(which I highly recommend) or to the Fontana dam on what is called the Hellbender.
I was up there this past Sunday and saw one state trooper coming down the mountain but none on top. It was after 5pm on Sunday.
I use to spend a lot of time up there. Just be careful. It requires full attention on the road and surrounding areas, IE pull offs. Let people pass that catch up. You aren't as fast as the locals that have cars and bikes built for just the gap. Above all don't try to keep up with others.
It can be a really fun road and I think everyone should enjoy it at least a few times with the first being slow and just learning the crazy road. There are wrecks up there daily. Some much worse than others.

Let me know if you want a buddy. I really enjoy that drive.

NewArt 07-06-2017 03:16 PM

Guess I was lucky. Drove this road on a weekday morning in April with my first ever Porsche, bought in California and was on my way home to Montreal! Sweet howling flat six though the curves. Don't think I saw a car, let alone a cop that day! Sigh.

carguy56 07-06-2017 05:12 PM

They have been doing some road work along the Dragon. Haven't been up there in a while so don't know if they've finished. Beware of the law and the knee draggers. It's a blast. There are a lot of other routes in the area that aren't as busy or patrolled. Try a few others while in the area.

BIGJake111 07-07-2017 04:00 PM

Western Carolina is pure Porsche roads however tail of the dragon is overused.

Lots of good stuff in the area though, id suggest pinnacle mountain road near lake toxaway. I take it about once a year with the girlfriend!

BFeller 07-07-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 543109)
Not my Boxster but I've driven it in a 99 M Roadster (in 2002) and an 03 Z4 (3.0 manual) in 2004.

It was lots of fun but can be very crowded. There are plenty of other roads in the area that are less crowded and just as fun. I wish I could remember the highway numbers but I can't. Just ask around once you get up there. Lots of nice folks in the area.

Old 221 in Little Switzerland.

SC-986 07-07-2017 07:36 PM

We were just in Little Switzerland last month with the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit. Many great roads in the area. Rt.226 up to the Switzerland Inn is a lot of fun. Good pavement and not too much traffic.