View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #15
mipstien
Side Porsche

I go all the time. If you want a locals opinion just go either in the evening's during the week or at night on the weekends. The cops sit up there during the busy time and get people doing 10mph over or more. More often they will pull you over for crossing a line and being just unsafe. Don't speed on the straight roads on the way there on the Tennessee side. The NC side isn't bad for cops going to Robinsville/Cherohala Skyway(which I highly recommend) or to the Fontana dam on what is called the Hellbender.
I was up there this past Sunday and saw one state trooper coming down the mountain but none on top. It was after 5pm on Sunday.
I use to spend a lot of time up there. Just be careful. It requires full attention on the road and surrounding areas, IE pull offs. Let people pass that catch up. You aren't as fast as the locals that have cars and bikes built for just the gap. Above all don't try to keep up with others.
It can be a really fun road and I think everyone should enjoy it at least a few times with the first being slow and just learning the crazy road. There are wrecks up there daily. Some much worse than others.

Let me know if you want a buddy. I really enjoy that drive.

Last edited by mipstien; 07-06-2017 at 10:39 AM.
mipstien is offline   Reply With Quote