Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #1

Question 2001 Boxster S with 2 annoying issues.

I've just bought a 2001 Boxster S, 3.2L 6 speed manual.

First annoyance, the factory CDR-220 stereo has only the right hand channel working.
Adjusting balance and fader has no effect. Tested the left speakers and test okay.

Second annoyance, the passenger side window does not drop when lowering the top. If I drop it via the window control and operate the top, no issues. The top drops into place and no errors. If I don't drop the window manually, when raising the top, it sticks and won't close completely. And, results in the dash alarm about the top.Both windows raise and lower properly otherwise and, if the passenger window is lowered before raising the top, it raises automatically as it should.

Basically, I'm looking for ideas, hints, hyperbolic supposition? about where to begin troubleshooting these two issues. I've ordered the removal tools for the radio so I can check those connections once they arrive. Many seem to think it's an amp problem but, in my case, there is no external amplifier.

RobertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 AM   #2

Look in the front trunk behind the spare tire. There is likely to be an amp there. If you need to replace it, let me know. The problem could have several sources - defective head unit, defective amp, or severed or disconnected wiring.

I haven't run into the problem with the window, so I hope that someone else will suggest the source of the problem.

Nice car by the way. I like the look of the factory litronics.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:15 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Welcome.

If it ends up being a head unit issue, Becker Autosound should be able to make any repairs (and upgrades) on it.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
The window regulators are a known problem with these cars. I have replaced both of mine/DIY. My recommendation is to bite the bullet and pay for the OEM parts. I tried the URO regulators and had problems. There are also several micro switches that work together with the top and windows that can be faulty.

Here are a couple of links that should help;

Porsche Boxster Window Regulator Replacement / Window Switch Replacement / Window Motor Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Porsche Boxster 986/987 (1997-2004) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts

Welcome and safe travels.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #5

Sadly, no amp there.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:58 AM   #6

That's unexpected. I thought that the package that included the factory litronics on the S models also included the upgraded sound system. So, I'm assuming that you only have the dash speakers and don't have the woofers in in the doors.

If that is the case, because you have verified that your speaker is OK, your possible causes of the problem are either a defect in the head unit or a problem with the wiring. I suggest you pull the head unit and verify that everything is plugged in properly.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 06-29-2017, 04:25 AM   #7

CD changer but no amp? I can't remember seeing that before
Old 06-29-2017, 04:29 AM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Perhaps the PO removed an aftermarket radio and tried to reinstall the original radio before selling the car....
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #9

I'll be doing that after work today. Got the removal tools this morning. Hopefully, it's just a connection problem. I'll update once I've had a chance to pull the head unit and check the wiring.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Perhaps the PO removed an aftermarket radio and tried to reinstall the original radio before selling the car....
I think that is the answer. If the car has door speakers, that would confirm it.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I think that is the answer. If the car has door speakers, that would confirm it.
No door speakers. Just dash speakers. Got the head unit out, took some major struggle and side to side wiggling to get it free. Harness looks dead stock, no sign of loose connections or broken ones either. Then again, who knows, I'm continuing to find things wrong that I didn't notice before buying. No door lights, front trunk light doesn't appear to work and so on. Think I may have purchased a money pit.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #12

Well, hooked up a small speaker to the left side of the stereo. Sound coming out just fine. Hooked up the existing speaker, crackling sound for a few seconds then it went silent on that side. Not sure if it's the head unit or the speaker, plan to swap the left/right this weekend to double check...
Old 07-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #13

In case anyone is curious, I pulled the left speaker again today and took it to a stereo shop. They tested the speaker. Dead as a door nail. Found a decent priced used one on eBay so, in a few days problem should be solved. As I said in a previous post, the left side does work on the radio with a small test speaker so, crossing my fingers that's the only issue.

Tags
2001 , 3.2l , boxster s