Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 03:38 AM   #1

Garage
Why do Porsches (and the ilk) send other drivers into rages??

This morning I was driving into work minding my own business, when this young guy in a Ford Fiesta decides that he needs to tailgate me. I'm on a two-lane roadway that is quite congested during rush hour traffic. When I finally was able to move over to the right lane, he's waving his fist and me and yelling something (though I couldn't hear him as he didn't put his window down and neither had I). I guess I was not driving fast enough for him (this despite the fact everyone travels at a rate of about 20 over the speed limit to begin with). I find this is an all-too frequent reaction from people to drive aggressively around "nice" cars. Are they really jealous of a 20-year old, $10K car?? This only seems to occur on this one portion of my commute, where I notice many people driving very aggressively and with little regard to the people around them. Maybe I just don't want to accept that the general populace is moving in this direction in terms of driving etiquette...

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:17 AM   #2

I have never noticed that in my boxster or 911 turbos.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:20 AM   #3

Boy, what happened to our little happy Canadians man. CBC News going too strong on the general population?! lolll

Tension is high these days, got to be strong to remain sane. Nothing to do with Porsche cars imo. Insanes-a-lot-out-there. You just can't avoid that crappy living flesh (apparently) so.... put on your favorite tune and pump up the volume a notch next time it happens - as in "ignore", don't let it get to you.

Try this, works every time for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f0LEoDwFO8

Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 AM   #4

Few years back, the day I left Les Canadiens de Montreal hockey and all my girlfriends crying behind, that's what a "Road Rage" looked like in Canada.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:22 AM   #5

I think you are overthinking it, it happens all the time no matter what you are driving as I see it regularly.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
I think you are overthinking it, it happens all the time no matter what you are driving as I see it regularly.

Unfortunately, I think you are right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I'm sure that everyone has a different experience but I'm with Dulmer on this, yes it happens in my other cars, but not nearly as often as my Porsche.

Except in my Boxster race car, everyone leaves me completely alone in that car, so I guess the takeaway is to drive a race car.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #8

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I don't have that problem over here as there is not that much traffic. I do on occasion have people tail gate me / pass me on residential streets, keep in mind I drive 10 over the posted limit, if some one is right on my ass I let off on the gas and coast to the speed limit, if they still don't take the hint I slow to 10 under. Once they back off a bit I go back to doing 10 over.

The big problem here is jacked up trucks with hid kits and led light bars all around them. They like to turn on their rear light bars when it's night to try blind you. They really do not like Fred's projectors when they go into high ram mode...
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #9
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I used to get that sort of behavior from others. I think I was driving it when I got finger-wagged by someone who cut in front of me because I honked? The hell?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
Maybe in his case, but My wife has even noticed "car prejudice". I've had co-workers tell me that they tend to "snub" high end cars like BMW and Merc's. I just had a VW try and race my last week, that doesn't happen with either of my trucks............

Granted, I agree the general aggressive driving and ass-hattery is rampant no matter what you are driving.

Last edited by stephen wilson; 06-16-2017 at 08:44 AM.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I don't have that problem over here as there is not that much traffic. I do on occasion have people tail gate me / pass me on residential streets, keep in mind I drive 10 over the posted limit, if some one is right on my ass I let off on the gas and coast to the speed limit, if they still don't take the hint I slow to 10 under. Once they back off a bit I go back to doing 10 over.

The big problem here is jacked up trucks with hid kits and led light bars all around them. They like to turn on their rear light bars when it's night to try blind you. They really do not like Fred's projectors when they go into high ram mode...
You sir are being an ass. All slowing down does is escalate the issue

If someone wants to go faster than you, just move over and let them pass.

I tend to drove a bit fast and if someone comes up on me, I move over and let them go by. I ask that others do the same when I come up on them. Unfortunately there are lots of rude and inconsiderate drivers that don't move over or worse slow down as they think that is teaching the person behind a lesson. All it is doing is showing you are an inconsiderate asshat.

I have no problem with someone driving slow or at a speed they are comfortable at. I don't expect nor want them to match my speed, especially when I am in one of my Op-cars and they are in a Prius or whatever. Drive what ever speed you want, just don't hold up people behind

All they have to do is move over and let the faster traffic pass. In many states, that is even the law.

Lets face it, a Porsche is safer at 20+ over than most cars are at the speed limit
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
He said "right on my ass", Jay.
Tailgaters suck and deserve that treatment. I do the same.
Many times, there isn't anywhere to "move over" to. If you can't pass, get off my ass.
The number of accidents caused by jerkoff tailgaters is staggering.

Always in a hurry? Leave sooner, then you won't be. Your being late is not my problem.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #13

I've had it happen more frequently in p car as well. People will yell mean stuff from sidewalk some times. I just beep and wave. I think the perception is for many is that if you drive a p car, your a pompous jerk. Though if it's set up as a track car, people tend to think you are not trying to prove anything but just want a real sports car. People are angry these days, better to just smile and proceed forward.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #14

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
You sir are being an ass. All slowing down does is escalate the issue

If someone wants to go faster than you, just move over and let them pass.

I tend to drove a bit fast and if someone comes up on me, I move over and let them go by. I ask that others do the same when I come up on them. Unfortunately there are lots of rude and inconsiderate drivers that don't move over or worse slow down as they think that is teaching the person behind a lesson. All it is doing is showing you are an inconsiderate asshat.

I have no problem with someone driving slow or at a speed they are comfortable at. I don't expect nor want them to match my speed, especially when I am in one of my Op-cars and they are in a Prius or whatever. Drive what ever speed you want, just don't hold up people behind

All they have to do is move over and let the faster traffic pass. In many states, that is even the law.

Lets face it, a Porsche is safer at 20+ over than most cars are at the speed limit
By all means I will be a miserable ass to people that on a double lane residential road , they are on your ass driving side to side.
I do however move over if you come up on me fast and not tail gate me I'll have no problem pulling over to the side of the road to let you pass. Same thing for when I am in a new area or looking for an address I will pull over and let people pass.

I live right by my kids school and you know who the worst offenders are? Mothers dropping off their kids at school. Try obey they school zone limit and they are on your ass or pass you in the oncoming lane.

Any four lane road I always keep in the right lane except for passing people.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Renegade pickup trucks, criminal moms, sounds like south Indonesia

Problem with "resisting" is you just never know what's coming your way. Could be the guy who is trying to get his wife to maternity, or Ms Seagul White below. In both cases my best advice to you is accel until there is a safe pass or get the f out of their way. Put on the meditation music for safe recovery.

You goin' to brake 10 less on this guy? Got bad news for you, won't work lolll

Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #16

Garage
I have been teaching my 18 year old grand son to drive. He works really hard to drive at the speed limit and it is annoying to see how many motorists get right up on his rear bumper. I tell him not to pay any attention to the jerks, but I can tell that it still bothers and distracts him.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
By all means I will be a miserable ass to people that on a double lane residential road , they are on your ass driving side to side.
I do however move over if you come up on me fast and not tail gate me I'll have no problem pulling over to the side of the road to let you pass. Same thing for when I am in a new area or looking for an address I will pull over and let people pass.

I live right by my kids school and you know who the worst offenders are? Mothers dropping off their kids at school. Try obey they school zone limit and they are on your ass or pass you in the oncoming lane.

I should have read it better.

Residential street, they are worse than an ass, not you

Yea, Soccer Moms are the worst

For tailgaters, brake light check them a few times, they generally will drop back
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Few years back, the day I left Les Canadiens de Montreal hockey and all my girlfriends crying behind, that's what a "Road Rage" looked like in Canada.

That video is absolutely hilarious. It reminds me of when I lived in Wisconsin. Canadians, Minnesota ins and Wisconsinites are all cut from the same cloth. Well mannered to a fault.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #19

Oh and by the way, to the original poster. It's very easy to not deal with road rage ragers, just go faster than they do, that's what I do.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #20

Stay alive every one! No Road Rage (Ms Seagul's got some crazy fingernails)

Just wanted to add.... that ... it wouldn't be a 1st time for me to see a guy in a Porsche... who could have done better with a Public Transport Card.

Oh and, Porsche family secret: +50% of the time when ppl tailgate you, its because they want to race with you no harm