Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #21

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I should have read it better.

Residential street, they are worse than an ass, not you

Yea, Soccer Moms are the worst

For tailgaters, brake light check them a few times, they generally will drop back
I use the rear fog light it works well

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #22

Back in the 70's I was following a car with a bumper sticker that said, "Honk if you love Jesus." They were very popular bumper stickers at the time, and I saw them everywhere. Thinking it was a fitting thing to do, I lightly tooted my horn with a couple of quick "Beep beep"s.

The other driver rolled down his window, flipped me off, and sped away. Seriously.

Dave
Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 PM   #23

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post
Back in the 70's I was following a car with a bumper sticker that said, "Honk if you love Jesus." They were very popular bumper stickers at the time, and I saw them everywhere. Thinking it was a fitting thing to do, I lightly tooted my horn with a couple of quick "Beep beep"s.

The other driver rolled down his window, flipped me off, and sped away. Seriously.

Dave

Maybe that was their plan to find anybody who loves Jesus and flip them off
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:36 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post

LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #25
Beginner

Garage
I speed up and get out of the way.

Could be a medical emergency

Could be late for work

Could be an incompetent / dangerous driver

Most likely just a jerk driving fast "winning" the only way they can I'd rather not associate with

I've posted this before but I had a pickup truck racing up an on ramp literally pushing me over a lane while "merging" when the red and blue lights came on behind him.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #26

For much of the general population, seeing any Porsche in decent condition makes them think the person driving it is an entitled, spoiled jerk compensating for other inadequacies. Same can be said for BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Corvette, etc. On top of that, every car TV commercial shows whatever brand of car cruising on beautiful, empty roads or a luxury SUV effortlessly cruising through deep fresh snow. Much like the theory that Joe Camel could brainwash kids into smoking I think that car advertising leads people to make judgements about cars and the people that are driving them. Then everyone is stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and there are drivers of all kinds of cars behaving badly and making incorrect assumptions about the drivers in other cars. Sometimes it is the driver of the high end car behaving badly and sometimes it is the driver of the clunker who feels that he needs to teach someone a "lesson."
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
Good point!

Dave
Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
For much of the general population, seeing any Porsche in decent condition makes them think the person driving it is an entitled, spoiled jerk compensating for other inadequacies. Same can be said for BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Corvette, etc.

Uh oh. My other car is a bright red, loaded BMW... Oh, wait - my daily driver is a Ford Escape. Does that help equal things out some?

Dave
Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
making incorrect assumptions about the drivers in other cars.
Here they portrait the luxury car owner as a sex symbol who has privileges. Most, not all, of those advertisements you see here includes a half-dressed chick e.g.sitting in the passenger seat trowing those perfect smiles to this sophisticated looking guy etc etc (60frames/sec slow motions and all). Valet service, over speeding, we've seen it all.

Can only imagine what goes in this guy's head as he struggle to drive his green color Cherry QQ 0.8L

Me think you have a good point there Paul. Ads and perception could be relaxed a tad
Old 06-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
Oh and by the way, to the original poster. It's very easy to not deal with road rage ragers, just go faster than they do, that's what I do.
Makes perfect sense, hard to achieve when you have a slow-mo in your way though

Old 06-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #31

I have to laugh. I drive a Prius station wagon now and over on their forum you hear the same complaint.

In 5-6 years of P-car ownership and maybe 40k of driving I've had no memorable incidents of others being angered and I've driven them and parked them in all sorts of circumstances. Not saying it can't happen.

But then I can say the same thing about a Prius.

Are there jerks, sure are. But they are angered at the world and what I drive hasn't made a bit of difference.

Last edited by mikefocke; 06-18-2017 at 03:09 PM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNW View Post

Dave
Get a bumper sticker that says "honk if you are a moron" and see how that gets reactions.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #33
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I just move over as soon as possible, then move back and pace them at a distance to allow them to find the speed traps.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #34

Bad Drivers

Living in South Florida, I encounter some of the worst traffic and bad drivers in the country. I have a 50 mile daily round trip commute for work and my biggest complaint is the number of drivers who insist on tailgating and doing sudden stops right behind my bumper each time traffic comes to a halt. My strategy is to change lanes and let the tailgater tailgate someone else.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #35
1998 Boxster Owner

I never experienced angry drivers until I started driving the Boxster. WRXs and Muscle cars tail gate or speed up past me all the time. It's quite amusing. I'm enjoying my drive too much to care.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #36

Garage
Its actually quite funny to appear to accept a challenge to drag race and then let the idiot blast off all by himself.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #37
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
When I am driving my old Nissan Pickup, vehicles stay way behind me. I guess they think maybe something will fall off and they get hit or run over what ever. In my VW Sportswagen I get tail gaters sometime. I would like to slam on my brakes and get rear ending then fall out like they do in New York and yell "Cash Settlement". As for driving the Boxster, I have problem with the idiots driving their pickup trucks. It does not matter if it's a beat up truck or brand new. It seems they want to play with the Porsche's speed. None would win. It's hard sometime to stay calm. I can say with certainty most people are in to big of a hurry. Like Pweave says, and I agree, If you in such a big hurry, you should have left sooner.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:58 AM   #38

It got so bad with my wife and I that I removed the Boxster script from the trunk.It appears to be working.I have a turbo spoiler and a hardtop so the unwashed does`nt know what model it is .
But I do like to sucker them to play on an on ramp to a hwy.The best part is after you blow them off they`ll go like hell to catch up and pass.Too funny.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #39

I went to the movies yesterday in my '05 Cayenne and the closest spot was being encroached by a Ford Explorer. I'm thin enough, so I centered in the spot, opened the door and eased out. It was pretty tight; I doubt the average American would have been able to get into the Explorer without a lot of huffing and puffing, or maybe a hand full of Crisco to ease his passage.

I come out after the show and - as I expected - there's a fingertip-sized dent with a paint nick and a line of door-edge paint on my door. The guy in the Explorer obviously took exception to me correctly occupying the parking spot he'd encroached upon.

Ha ha, buddy! Joke's on you. Your Explorer was newer and the damage you just did is probably the smallest dent I've got.
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Its actually quite funny to appear to accept a challenge to drag race and then let the idiot blast off all by himself.
Agree with you. I just ignore them and let them be. I'd rather be behind them than in front of them and if they happen to go in the same direction and come up to some twisty roads, well his is where the fun begins.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote