Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #21

I just replaced my boots on the driver side and I did not have to touch my exhaust or the skid plate. Just the sway bar and control arm. Not sure what is different about my 2000 S but don't know why those things need to be removed.

patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I've got a pair of Porsche CV clamps (I found them!) I'll take to Napa and find out an equivalent part # and report back .
It was a bust, all they had were the stainless zip tie slide sort of universal CV Boot Clamp. Of course I had to get the one unhelpful/unfriendly guy that is there, that I always seem to get... So there may be a better match at NAPA but I was unable to find it. At lunch I will slide over to O'reilly and Advance and see what they have. It looks like Dorman might make a compatible one under their "Dorman Help" product line.

You probably have this info already off the old clamp, but the large clamp says 74 OETIKER so maybe that will help identify the right clamp.

It looks like this might be it:

CV Boot Clamp 99951248600 - Oetiker - Porsche - 999-512-486-00 | Pelican Parts

Bummer that the ones you got were too loose, which ones did you get?

Edit: this page has a little more info:

https://www.belmetric.com/oetiker-ear-clamps-large-sizes-c-15_841/cv74-cv-boot-clamp-p-1007.html
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:25 AM   #23

I found another thread on here that linked to this thread:

Leaking CV Boots - Repack and Clamp - Articles

Where the author had the same problem with the OEM 74 clamp, and went with another style, but unfortunately it doesn't have a part number...

Edit; following the rabbit hole, it looks like this might be it:

https://www.belmetric.com/cv68-cv-boot-clamp-p-1006.html?zenid=kckcjipsb70epti7ihm7o5p910&cPath=15_841

Last edited by steved0x; 06-26-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #24
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
This was the email reply from Dorman tech support. I am going to keep investigating and see if I can come up with something. I need to get under the car, with my calipers, and start measuring.

Good morning, sorry but we can’t search by length, by you can search by inlet and outlet size in the side tabs, under CV boot

Nicholas Paris
Asst. Product Manager/Tech-Line
Dorman Products
215-712-5012-Desk
215-712-5512-Fax
Toll Free 1-800-868-5777 EXT-5012
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I found another thread on here that linked to this thread:

Leaking CV Boots - Repack and Clamp - Articles

Where the author had the same problem with the OEM 74 clamp, and went with another style, but unfortunately it doesn't have a part number...

Edit; following the rabbit hole, it looks like this might be it:

https://www.belmetric.com/cv68-cv-boot-clamp-p-1006.html?zenid=kckcjipsb70epti7ihm7o5p910&cPath=15_841

what I learned so far by trying them:

these are two tight, I couldnt put them on (guess I was hoping for the best since they are 68mm)

these 73mm ones made by Oetiker are too loose:
CV Boot Clamp 99951248600 - Oetiker - Porsche - 999-512-486-00 | Pelican Parts

I went ahead and ordered Porsche genuine ones from Pelican (911-332-257-00-OEM).
Wish I would have done that in the first place
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
I finally tackled it!

I removed the axle nut with an impact gun (thank god), removed the plate under the tranny, removed the bolts where the cat delete pipes meet the first set of cats and twisted the pipes downward. I was able to squeeze out the CV axles with very little effort, same when putting them back in.

Sucky part was when I realized I had to remove the inner boots (which were already replaced a while back) just to slide in the new outer boots. Guess I should have done more research because I was unprepared with not enough grease and clamps. I had to reuse clamps and they didnt go as tight as I needed them.

I had some that are the same style as these from Pelican, virtually the same:

2000 Porsche Boxster Base Convertible - Axles, Bearings & Differential - Page 2

Can anyone recommend some they used and worked well? The small 34mm ones worked but the larger 73mm simply didnt go on tight enough and were spinning on the boot.

Also, if I never see joint grease again it will be too soon!
A good quality radiator hose clamp works just fine. In fact, I used one to fix a leaking inner joint. There was grease splattered all over the tranny. I thought it was a torn boot but no. The factory clamp had failed. Replaced it with the rad hose clamp and all is well.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
A good quality radiator hose clamp works just fine. In fact, I used one to fix a leaking inner joint. There was grease splattered all over the tranny. I thought it was a torn boot but no. The factory clamp had failed. Replaced it with the rad hose clamp and all is well.
I heard the extra weight (although small) of the screw on the hose clamp will affect the axle over time.

I will report back once I install the genuine Porsche ones. 30$ with shipping.. not cheap for 4 pieces of metal but oh well..
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:07 PM   #28

Bummer, seems like outer clips would be easier.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #29

CV boot clamps

I did this preemptively on my 01 two years ago when I replaced the wheel bearings. With the axles out it is not too bad of a job, worst part is the mess. I purchased all my stuff from Pelican including new lubricant.....except the CV Boot Clamp crimping tool. I purchased this off fleabay and it was totally worthless, the first clamp I tried to crimp the pliers just bent and so into the trash they went. I would up using a large set of diagonal cutters I had that were a cheap knockoff so I dulled them and did the crimping that way. To this day they still hold quite well with zero leaks. I disassembled my inner CV joints and cleaned them with carb cleaner and re lubed them as well as the inner ones......a word of friendly advise....have latex gloves handy and disassemble the inner joints over a cardboard box or something similar...the balls fall out of the race easily and bounce well on a concrete floor.

Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote