Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2017, 04:30 AM   #1

The Boxster or the Boxster S?

I am looking at getting into a Boxster and can't decide if I will be happy with the base model. Can anybody with some experience help me out? Thanks

ctimgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:45 AM   #2

Simply answer is to drive both. I bought am S but not sure it makes any difference for my type of driving.
Someone asked this question a week or so ago. I think the title was related to the weight of the two. A lot of good stuff. If I can find I will bump to front.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:03 AM   #3

Thanks I will check it out.
ctimgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:20 AM   #4

I was in your situation just a few weeks ago. I agree you have to drive both. As for me I felt the s was a bit more powerful when comparing manual to manual, but more importantly I really like the six speed gearbox. I find 3rd gear to be nearly perfect for most of my driving & the torque that's available throughout a wide range is just great. I've not yet even shifted into 6th gear, but I've only had it up to about 110 mph so far (its only been 2 weeks) I also realized I would never be sorry to have the bit of extra power.
paulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:00 AM   #5

Garage
I think a lot will depend on the type of driving: if its a commuter or cruiser a base will likely suffice; but is its for hard driving, autoX, track, I'd say an S is the better route.

Ours is for a secondary cruiser/commuter and its been great. 6th gear is not missed since we haven't topped 90mph.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:08 AM   #6

You will never regret having more power as the S will not have enough at times either. Only thing that might be a turn off is the problems many people have with the 6 speed transmission but even that doesn't seem all that common except on the ones that are raced regularly. Typically the S will cost more to purchase initially. Just go with the best condition car you can afford and you will smile everyday you get behind the wheel.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #7

Garage
When I decided to buy, I was only looking for an S. I just wanted everything that made the S. I don't think the 6 speed is necessarily a deal breaker but the rest of the upgrades were.
Now if you were to look into the 987 Base model, you will find their power levels are comparable to the 986 S. You don't get the brakes, suspension and so on.
So one way is to do a paper comparison, list the differences that make the S different from the Base and determine what things float your boat

Last edited by kk2002s; 02-28-2017 at 07:59 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Drive all three (2.5, 2.7, 3.2) models, then choose whichever model you like best based on condition and price.

Don't get too hung up on power alone as all Boxster's have more than enough power to scare the crap out of yourself and any Boxster, regardless of engine size, will make you happy every day.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #9

Owned both a 2.5 base and a 3.2 S. No difference in the enjoyment factor or maintenance once purchased.

Lots depends on what you expect. As my prior sports car ownership was 1.3 and 1.6 cars, the 2.5 was more than enough for me.

The 3.2 is tough on CV joints. Also some prefer the transmission ratios of the 5 speed. If you are thinking TIP, the downshift can be triggered with the switches on the 3.2 without moving the lever to manual mode. Not so on the 2.5 TIP.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #10

All depends on what you are looking for. Look at your driving habits - what is this car being bought for. I enjoy some great cruising in the summer - but certainly don't do any 'hardcore' driving or tracking - so for me, I'd rather save the money and get the newest Boxster I could afford (I went with a 987.2 - if I'd needed an S, I would have had to settle for a 987.1)
Drive them and see what fits. You do get some extra goodies with the S - but are those goodies any good to you?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #11

If you ever need a replacement engine+/-gearbox, the Boxster S with 6 speed is the most expensive combo by far !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #12

When I was looking, I thought I would only get an S. But then, I found a base model with all the options I really wanted, and absurdly low miles. It's been a little under two years now, and I could not be happier! Good luck with your search!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #13

When they were new, whether or not the extra money for the S was worth it was certainly more debatable than it is now. In todays market, the premium is pretty negligible and totally worth it for what you're getting, at least in my opinion. Yes, the power in base is adequate for most people, but are you ever going to wish you had less power? If power isn't a concern to you, there's also the visual distinction between the two. The S has bigger red brakes, dual exhaust tips, a 3rd front radiator, and typically left the factory on larger wheels.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't turn down a clean, well maintained base in favour of a clapped out S. Model designation is important, but shouldn't be the only factor taken into consideration when looking at these cars. If a well maintained S is in your budget I can't see you ever wishing you bought a base instead.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #14
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Since I track, I wanted the S. If you don't track, buy a base and save enough money to do all those necessary maintenance items.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #15

I've owned both..at the same time! I have an 2000S but added a 1998 base car that was an absolute bargain. I enjoyed every minute in the base car but when I would go back to the S, I felt it to be more effortlessly enjoyable.

If I'd been able to afford a new Box back in the day, I would have ended up with a base because I wouldn't have been willing to part with the extra $5-6K for an S. Now, the price difference between the two has narrowed to $1.5-2.5K in my neck of the woods. My buy decision would be based more on the condition and pedigree of the specific car for sale.

As for the 6speed tranny, I added the second gear detent (google for more info) about 4 year ago as occasionally my car would pop out of second gear when box was cold (gear oil had been replaced with P-car gear oil). The detent fixed the issue and I've had no further problems, now at 132K miles.

I don't track my cars so the extras of the S only appeal to me by feel. It certainly doesn't mean I wouldn't buy another base car, given the right circumstances.

Get whichever suits you best, either way you won't be disappointed.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #16

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
My first Porsche was the 944 and I was always left eating the turbo..... needless to say when it came to the boxster I chose the S
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #17

I agree it depends on what your driving habits are and what you expect. I bought my 01S almost five years ago, and intentionally got the S for two reasons: reviews around that era all touted the 6sp S over the 5sp base for "stride" at highway speeds, and the more likelihood of having cruise control on the S (which mine has). For many, they may consider that heresy for a Boxster, but it keeps me from throttling too high, and frankly I hate driving steady routes more than half a mile without it.

Road tripping with my daughter, who didn't have cc on her car, a few years ago, it was very annoying to me as a passenger to have her NOT use the cc and have speeds constantly fluctuating. As a driver around others on the highway who don't use cc, it is exasperating how they slow down when you can't pass and speed up to keep you from passing.

Going by my experience, I would only consider the base model with a 6sp. But that's me.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 PM   #18

My first Porsche '97 2.5 base tiptronic. Changed the muffler to look like an s. Changed front and rear bumpers to look like an '04 and rear tail lights...It was fun asI didn't know any better.

Saw a listing for an 04 550 Spyder 6spd. Night and day difference driving. Suspension, gear ratio , power, OEM pse exhaust and the power!!!
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #19

Garage
The only way to know is to drive both. With that said, if you are wondering whether or not you will be happy with a base says to me that you won't. You will always be wondering "what if?" To me, the S is worth the upgrades.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctimgo View Post
I am looking at getting into a Boxster and can't decide if I will be happy with the base model. Can anybody with some experience help me out? Thanks
Buy the S; it's always great to have more power on reserve. Eventually you will get used to whichever one you get but soon you will get used to the power and begin to find ways to upgrade performance whether in skills or in the machine