Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

Oil clarification

I have a 2001S that had a professional oil change just prior to purchase. I've driven about 600kms on the car so far and checking the oil is leaving me confused. The gauge shows it beyond the markers and the dipstick doesn't show a defined area with the oil (it's still quite clean) - the entire dipstick section is wet with oil. Does this vehicle have too much oil in it?!? There are no codes, smoke etc. sometimes the idle will wander between 800 and 600 but nothing else.

Thanks!

pidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #2

Turn the car off and let it sit for about an hour, then turn the key to the on position and let the dash oil gauge run through its cycle. If the dash gauge, which is more accurate than the dipstick, says the oil level is near the upper arrow, you are fine. If the car was overfilled, all of the dash bars would be lit.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

Here's the start up test result:

Attached Images

Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Turn the car off and let it sit for about an hour, then turn the key to the on position and let the dash oil gauge run through its cycle. If the dash gauge, which is more accurate than the dipstick, says the oil level is near the upper arrow, you are fine. If the car was overfilled, all of the dash bars would be lit.
Thanks JFP, Shoot. The attached graphic is a cold test after sitting overnight. Sounds like it may be best to just change the oil now, and refill with a lower volume?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #5

It is overfilled.Not good.
If they did not change the filter(?) do that to loose some excess oil. That may do it.
It is a good idea to check in the pleats of the oil filter anyway.An even better idea is to upgrade to an LN spin on filter at this time.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #6

Before you change your oil, pull the filter cap and dump the oil in there. That should take you down a half to full bar. Rinse and repeat until you get to the proper level.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Before you change your oil, pull the filter cap and dump the oil in there. That should take you down a half to full bar. Rinse and repeat until you get to the proper level.
Okay. This is my first mechanical thing with the car . I have never removed the filter on a boxster - so I understand that the oil is not going to spew out as if you removed the drain plug nut .... I'll check some videos to understand the way the cartridge filter works. I don't have a replacement one, so is it okay (or even possible) to reinstall after I drain out some oil?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #8

yes, you'll lose maybe half a quart, especially if you dump the filter cannister out. It will be messy but it works.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Do I need to start the motor (once the filter is placed back on securely ) to have the pump refill the filter cap (in order to repeat the process)?

Last edited by pidj; 06-20-2017 at 09:58 AM.
pidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
Do I need to start the motor (once the filter is placed back on securely ) to have the pump refill the filter cap?
Yes.............
Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #11

Got it. Thanks all!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #12

You are definitely overfull which is bad for these cars. As everyone said drain some immediately before driving any further. I would take at least 1/2 quart out and check again.
You should reconsider a new mechanic as obviously he's not too familiar with this car.

Just be sure you do not do this.
Slight problem during oil change, what to do next?
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:50 AM   #13

Agreed. It's going nowhere until I drain a bit out. This oil fill was either done by the previous owner (or the specialty shop that did the 30,000 mile service). So obviously, I'm not feeling overly comfortable on this previous job - hopefully it was a careless error. I'll start with this for now ....
Old 06-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #14
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
You are definitely overfull which is bad for these cars. As everyone said drain some immediately before driving any further. I would take at least 1/2 quart out and check again.
You should reconsider a new mechanic as obviously he's not too familiar with this car.

Just be sure you do not do this.
Slight problem during oil change, what to do next?
I have heard that being somewhat overfull with oil is bad for these cars. How so? Anyone?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I have heard that being somewhat overfull with oil is bad for these cars. How so? Anyone?
When too full it becomes easier for oil to get through the AOS and into the intake where it is then burned along with the air/fuel mixture. Too much oil can cause misfires and damage the catalytic converter, and "more" too much oil can hydro-lock the cylinder and destroy the engine.

I overfilled my oil just like that before my first track day, blew a huge smoke bomb, got a flashing CEL, engine cutting out, scared me to death, when I got home I dropped the oil filter canister and installed a new filter/o-ring (buying just a new o-ring was about the same price as a new filter which comes with the o-ring). This dropped my oil right down to just below the full mark and all was good

Last edited by steved0x; 06-21-2017 at 06:55 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
When too full it becomes easier for oil to get through the AOS and into the intake where it is then burned along with the air/fuel mixture. Too much oil can cause misfires and damage the catalytic converter, and "more" too much oil can hydro-lock the cylinder and destroy the engine.

I overfilled my oil just like that before my first track day, blew a huge smoke bomb, got a flashing CEL, engine cutting out, scared me to death, when I got home I dropped the oil filter canister and installed a new filter/o-ring (buying just a new o-ring was about the same price as a new filter which comes with the o-ring). This dropped my oil right down to just below the full mark and all was good
I had the same experience here on my first oil change. I filled my oil to the full mark thinking that's where it should be. It took almost 9 qts to get it to that level. Drove it to work the next day and I noticed a big cloud of smoke when I accelerated, engine stumbled a few times and cel came on.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #17

What got me was I changed the oil, added 9 quarts, went to get gas, and the car reported on the oil level like it does when you get gas, and the lower bar was flashing indicating I was low (the oil was up in the engine still, I didn't give it enough time to come down), so I went home and it took another quart to get it to what I thought was the right level... Now I only check the oil after the car has been sitting level overnight, or at least for an hour or two after driving the car enough to get the oil hot. Otherwise I don't believe the gauge...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #18
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Looks like you got this taken care of, but for anyone that looks at this thread in the future, it is also important to make sure the car is parked on a flat surface when you check the oil level. I have experienced 1-2 bars difference from the electronic guage based on where I was parked.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #19

I placed it up on 4 stands so it's level and took off the cartridge cover, then let the oil drain. I replaced the cartridge and then turned on the ignition. The check still indicated overfill so I turned off the ignition and removed the cartridge cover, but no oil was in it. Do I have to run the motor to have more fill up the filter?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #20

Missed that detail being answered by JFP!