Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

Does the Brey Krause roll bar extension interfere with the top service mode ?

I bought a Brey Krause roll bar extension last year from a forum member and have not installed it yet . I had the top in the service mode recently to remove/replace the MAF sensor and I also have an aftermarket soft top with the glass rear window.
When I put my car in service mode I fold the glass window so it resides partially over the roll hoops . If the BK extension was installed there is no way I could do that .
So for those of you that have the BK and a glass rear window can you still access the engine enough to do the routine stuff ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #2

I have the bk bar but a soft plastic rear window, if you have an aftermarket glass rear windiw it I the small one, right? The bk bar sits forward of the hoops by a tiny bit, maybe there will be enough room?

A quick way to test would be take the two ends of the bk bar off (it is,easier to install with these off and you have to take at least one off to install) and then test fit it onto the hoops, and then place the top in service mode.

I can lower my top and take some pics, I need to get in there and check my Ps fluid anyway before my next event.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

I did not realize the BK bar sits a little forward of the OEM hoops . If that is the case it will probably work just fine . I guess I should go ahead and install the darn thing ! Thanks for the quick reply.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 02-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Anyway, the bar comes on and off in 10 minutes or so. So it's not really a problem.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Anyway, the bar comes on and off in 10 minutes or so. So it's not really a problem.
That is a great point thanks !
Old 02-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

I had the BK bar with my glass window top and it will require holding the glass back against the roll bar (it will want to fall down towards the engine compartment). I used some clips to hold it back. Nothing to really worry about, you'll figure it out in about 20 secs.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote