Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
No power gain from Underdrive Pulley?...

This guy posts up some interesting videos about the Boxster. This one shows no gain after installation of an underdrive pulley...

https://youtu.be/CvFdH11y4EI

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

When I installed a UDP, it wasn't because I thought it would give me more hp, but rather because it drives the accessories at a lower speed, especially when you are on the track! Power steering pumps, and the like, don't like to run at constant, near redline speeds and can cause problems or fail when pushed too hard.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I don't doubt that statement. Years ago, I actually had a water pump failure right after I had redlined my engine during some spirited driving. What I find amusing is the sellers of these UDPs claiming instant 5-10hp gains.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #4

VJ should have included a before dyno run in the same environmental conditions as he tested the UDP afterward. I think you loose 10~15HP between seasonal air densities. It can be difficult to track small power gains sometimes.

My Boxster gains about this +10hp... when the wind blows from behind loll

Perhaps he forgot to install the shorter serpentine belt required to make the kit working?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I think he says in the video that he put in a "longer" belt!

Old 01-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #6

oh did he. missed it
Old 01-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #7

Correct. Pumps cavitate (the fluid stops flowing and creates voids Article on wikipedia) when turning too quickly. Water pump, power steering pump, oil pump. Their pulleys are all designed to run at low(1000) to mid RPMS(4000). That's why when at a stop some cars forces the engine to rev a little higher when it senses that its not providing enough cooling or power steering help. Now I personally wouldn't replace it unless you are really having spiking temperatures when on the track. Most of us will get stuck in traffic more often then run 7K RPM constantly at the track. Then again its an easily replace part.

Example:
My Sr20det revs up to 8k RPM and I was chasing some power-steering and cooling gremlins. Past 7k for too long and I was running into some cooling problems. I under-drove the power steering and water pump and it mostly helped the cooling side. But its more of a band-aid. Finally installed some power steering cooling lines with a filter and that was able to keep the viscosity in check and help deaerate the oil.

Back to the power. The pulley doesn't have enough significant mass to provide any substantial effect on the inertial of the system. Actually smaller pulleys would make it harder for the engine at lower RPMs to turn accessories by the loss of mechanical adavantage.(lever arm)
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #8

* Torque the bolt to 50 NM (37 ft-lb) and then tighten an additional 90 degrees.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #9

I don't wanna believe this.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
VJ should have included a before dyno run in the same environmental conditions as he tested the UDP afterward. I think you loose 10~15HP between seasonal air densities. It can be difficult to track small power gains sometimes.

My Boxster gains about this +10hp... when the wind blows from behind loll

Perhaps he forgot to install the shorter serpentine belt required to make the kit working?
+1 ^^^^

The dyno baseline test was on 10/22/16 whereas the UDP test was on 11/26/16. The temp and humidity correction (or poor correction) could easily result in a margin of error equal to the magnitude of the difference under test (3-5hp).

He needed to do a baseline and the UDP test on two consecutive days at the same time of day when the weather was generally constant to be able to accurately measure the difference.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-18-2017 at 01:57 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
I don't wanna believe this.
Me neither...

Maybe psychological but I could feel it when I did mine, mostly in first and second, but I primarily did the mod for power steering longevity.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
+1 ^^^^

The dyno baseline test was on 10/22/16 whereas the UDP test was on 11/26/16. The temp and humidity correction (or poor correction) could easily result in a margin of error equal to the magnitude of the difference under test (3-5hp).

He needed to do a baseline and the UDP test on two consecutive days at the same time of day when the weather was generally constant to be able to accurately measure the difference.
Considering the difficulty of the change. This could be planned on the same day. Then again we are talking inertia change. Just like a lightweight flywheel but at a microscopic scale. Engine will rev faster without load. That's if the parasitic drag of the equipment doesn't increase from the pulley size change. With load, nothing will change.

Hey if you are looking for most horsepower output, try running a lighter oil both in the engine and transmission. You will have way less parasitic loss and more income loss.

To be honest, I feel my boxster would benefit from a beefier flywheel looses revs too fast for my taste which makes up shifting a rev match fest(6 speed).
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Me neither...

Maybe psychological but I could feel it when I did mine, mostly in first and second, but I primarily did the mod for power steering longevity.
Agreed. I thought I could feel mine too. But I did the secondary cat delete pipes at the same time. So easy to break the tires loose in 1st and 2nd now.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:01 AM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Any truth to some comments in the video that the stock pulley acts as a harmonic dampener, and that replacement risks engine damage? One comment even sites an article claiming so.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 AM   #15

Can't personally confirm this scientifically (quickly anyway), but yes, natural freq will certainly have different critical speed as "per design" requirements originally set by Porsche Eng. You'll introduce a whole new set(s) of vibrations to the engine (in engineering terms)

Read Rotor Dynamics
Old 01-19-2017, 03:35 AM   #16
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Hmmmm...interesting. Anyone get over 100K miles on an UDP yet?

Old 01-19-2017, 04:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Any truth to some comments in the video that the stock pulley acts as a harmonic dampener, and that replacement risks engine damage? One comment even sites an article claiming so.
not on the 986. Its a simple aluminum pulley. It has not harmonic dampening whatsoever aside from its weight, which is not much different than the aftermarket ones.

On 987 cars, they have a true harmonic dampner which is why you have to buy a much more expensive underdrive.

Whats the word on this boxster making 273 wheel hp? Or is this one of those stupid dynos that converts to engine hp?
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #18
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
It's not wheel horsepower. It's estimated at crank.

I use this same dyno. You get print out of both. The owner normally talks the crank figure because he knows most customers just want to hear the big number and these are the figures peopke can relate to when they read the manufacturer spec on the websites.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 AM   #19
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Wouldn't you want to compare the wheel HP before and after? The pulley wouldn't actually create more HP, just more of what the engine does make would get to the wheels. At least that was always my understanding of how it would work. It is supposed to FREE Up HP not create it.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #20
I am my own mechanic....

I have absolutely no doubt it gave me felt low end torque / HP.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote