Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
1999 base

Garage
Spin on oil filter leak.

Hello guys.
during one of the oil changes, i noticed a bit of wetness around the oil filter.
cleaned it up, and noticed that the filter itself is not tight. (i could unscrew it by hand).
usually when i change filter, i first fill it up with oil, put some oil on the top seal, and screw it in place. i tighten by hand, and give it another quarter of a turn.
worked perfect like that for years with no issue.
last oil change, i repeated the process, but this time i have tighten it a bit more.
last night (500 miles after last oil change) i noticed the same thing. the oil filter is loose
anyone has a clue whats going on?

few additional details:
spin on LN adaptor was not new. so i ordered new O-Rings for it, that im going to install next oil change.
oil filter i'm using is Wix 51042.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

I too got a used previous model spin on adapter (that has a tool with a socket for tightening instead of an integral socket) and used Wix 51042 for the last few years, so maybe 5-6 oil changes, I have never had that but I think I go more like a half turn or more after the gasket makes contact (firmly tight by hand but not as tight as I could possibly get it, although probably close) I got 2 new o-rings for the adapter when I installed it and it has never leaked or loosened for me. I can remove the oil filter by hand but it is pretty hard to get it started.

So none of this is probably useful to you but it is my experiences...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Hello guys.
during one of the oil changes, i noticed a bit of wetness around the oil filter.
cleaned it up, and noticed that the filter itself is not tight. (i could unscrew it by hand).
usually when i change filter, i first fill it up with oil, put some oil on the top seal, and screw it in place. i tighten by hand, and give it another quarter of a turn.
worked perfect like that for years with no issue.
last oil change, i repeated the process, but this time i have tighten it a bit more.
last night (500 miles after last oil change) i noticed the same thing. the oil filter is loose
anyone has a clue whats going on?

few additional details:
spin on LN adaptor was not new. so i ordered new O-Rings for it, that im going to install next oil change.
oil filter i'm using is Wix 51042.
After filling the filter with oil, lightly oil the filter's gasket, then screw on hand tight, plus 1/2 turn with a cup style filter wrench. It won't come loose, and it will not leak.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

Make sure it really is the filter gasket leaking.
Could it be that the gasket between the adapter/base and the cranckcase is leaking - above the filter ?
There are some very specific Instructions from LN to avoid this.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Reading Meir's first post he says that the filter was loose, not the adapter.
I have noticed the same looseness on my filter on my last oil change, but using the Bosch spin on filter I got from Pelican.
Because I'm old and weak, I usually tighten the filter housing by hand as tight as I can, but after finding the loose filter, I now use my torque wrench.
The last thing I need in life is a self ejecting filter!

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 12-08-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Reading Meir's first post he says that the filter was loose, not the adapter.
I have noticed the same looseness on my filter on my last oil change, but using the Bosch spin on filter I got from Pelican.
Because I'm old and weak, I usually tighten the filter housing by hand as tight as I can, but after finding the loose filter, I now use my torque wrench.
The last thing I need in life is a self ejecting filter!
You don't need to torque a spin on filter; hand tight, then 1/2 turn more, that's all that is necessary. we probably do 50-75 cars this way every week in season, and am yet to have a filter leak, come loose, or fall off.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
1999 base

Garage
guys thank you all for the replies.
i was a bit puzzled because i was doing the same procedure for the past 6 years with no issue. so i guess i'm becoming weak and old just like steve .
i will take JFP advice and will give it another half a turn with the cup and a wrench.
thanks again.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
Project Addicted

Make 100% certain that an old rubber gasket isn't stuck up there on the adaptor. This happens and will cause the leak.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
. so i guess i'm becoming weak and old just like steve ..
Old guy problems at least we are on the right side up
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:36 AM   #10

Hi Meir:

I know you said the filter was loose, but are you 100% sure its the filter that's leaking and not the adapter itself. A deteriorating or pinched o-ring can lead to a adapter leak.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Make 100% certain that an old rubber gasket isn't stuck up there on the adaptor. This happens and will cause the leak.
Good point. I will look at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Hi Meir:

I know you said the filter was loose, but are you 100% sure its the filter that's leaking and not the adapter itself. A deteriorating or pinched o-ring can lead to a adapter leak.
That was my first assumption, so I ordered new seals from LN.
Also a chance to tanks the guys at LN for shipping the o-rings at no cost at all.
So new seals going on regardless, but I always needed the cup to remove the filter.
Never by hand.