Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #1

Car stopped on side of the road!

So i was driving to work when the engine started to sputter and lose power then completely shut off. Coasted to the side of the road and now waiting for a tow truck. Tried starting engine again, but no go. Engine turns over, but not does start. Am i looking at a bad fuel pump here? Should i just have it towed home and try to replace that out? Its a 2001 boxster s with 142k miles on it.

Last edited by Rok986; 11-29-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Rok986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #2

Garage
Well certainly sounds fuel related, but need to troubleshoot before just throwing parts at it. Got fuel, more than 1/2 tank, CEL? Can you hear fuel pump run with ignition switched on? Could be the relay, will need to pull and jumper to see if FP runs. Fuel filter changed? Do you have a fuel pressure tester?
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

Might be a bad crank sensor, although when that goes out, the car does not sputter, the engine just shuts off...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

I have over 1/2 tank of fuel left. When car was on tow truck, noticed some fluid dripping. Thought maybe a fuel line came loose or something, but when i checked it the fluid, it felt like oil and didn't smell like gas...
Old 11-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #5

Garage
My MAF came apart and stopped mine. I have a 2000 with electric throttle. The Throttle body was not getting signal since the cover piece stuck in it. Dealer tech thought it was the TB since it would not show any connection. I sourced an new one and it was not the problem.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok986 View Post
I have over 1/2 tank of fuel left. When car was on tow truck, noticed some fluid dripping. Thought maybe a fuel line came loose or something, but when i checked it the fluid, it felt like oil and didn't smell like gas...
Fluid dripping isn't a good sign, especially if its oil. I'd send the car to the shop to have it fully inspected.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

Without OBD codes (at a minimum) it is just speculation. So let us know what codes your Tech finds so that we can help others with the same problem in future?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #8

I sure will. Thanks guys. Will be having car towed to an idie mechanic in a couple days. Just signed up for AAA and it doesn't kick in for 48 hrs.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #9

Hi Rok986,

My Boxster did exact same thing last week. Engine suddenly lost complete power. I asked Scotty to divert power from aux and life support system, but that didn't help either. All instrument panel lighted up like Christmas. Got knocked out of warp speed, but Still had momentum, cruised over to the side of road. Couldn't start up again. It would crank, but nothing after that. No code. No check engine light.

Various possible culprits:

(1) Battery
(2) Alternator
(3) Crankshaft Sensor
(4) Fuel Pump/Relay

Luckily, I found a Porsche mechanic that's only a few miles away (thanks to Yelp). He drove out and tested the battery. It's good. Tested the alternator. it's good too. He tested fuel pressure. It turned out, there's non. The fuel pump was the culprit.

Bought a fuel pump, popped it in (it's directly under the battery). Started up beautifully.

Needless to say, I didn't do any Black Friday Shopping this year. Local Porsche Parts department took a few franklins from that ordeal.

Last edited by knite75; 12-01-2016 at 04:53 PM.
knite75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knite75 View Post
Hi Rok986,

My Boxster did exact same thing last week. Engine suddenly lost complete power. I asked Scotty to divert power from aux and life support system, but that didn't help either. All instrument panel lighted up like Christmas. Got knocked out of warp speed, but Still had momentum, cruised over to the side of road. Couldn't start up again. It would crank, but nothing after that. No code. No check engine light.

Various possible culprits:

(1) Battery
(2) Alternator
(3) Crankshaft Sensor
(4) Fuel Pump/Relay

Luckily, I found a Porsche mechanic that's only a few miles away (thanks to Yelp). He drove out and tested the battery. It's good. Tested the alternator. it's good too. He tested fuel pressure. It turned out, there's non. The fuel pump was the culprit.

Bought a fuel pump, popped it in (it's directly under the battery). Started up beautifully.

Needless to say, I didn't do any Black Friday Shopping this year. Local Porsche Parts department took a few franklins from that ordeal.
Thats great! Glad it was only a small problem for you! I was thinking the same, but decided to do the snooping and noticed some oil or something by the passenger side header. Took some pictures for all of you to see. Tried starting it again and didnt notice any strange noises like grinding or popping, so hopefully it wasnt the ims that went bad! Any other ideas as to what might be the prob?
Old 12-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

Spark plug tube "O" rings or a cam cover gasket? Clean it up and keep checking for the highest point where you find oil.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Just took apart the oil filter and no metal shavings at all!!
Old 12-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Spark plug tube "O" rings or a cam cover gasket? Clean it up and keep checking for the highest point where you find oil.
Would either of those problems cause an engine to stop running?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok986 View Post
Would either of those problems cause an engine to stop running?
No. Those are the likely cause of the oil leaks - nothing to do with engine operation.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #15

Garage
If you have fuel pressure it could be the crank position sensor. Good to hear that no metal was in the oil filter.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #16

Checked the fuel oump and it seems to be operating. Havent checked the fuel pressure tho. How would i check the crank position sensor?
Old 12-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #17
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Crank the engine. If the tach needles moves, CPS is fine.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #18
Beginner

Garage
If it sputters, the electrical is good. If it dies hot / sputters, and does not start cold, the Crank Position Sensor is greater than 50/50 good. A Bad MAF is not completely out of the running, but not likely. It appears your looking at fuel delivery. I'd chase down those leads. Merry Christmas.