Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2016, 02:08 AM   #21

Why?

Why are you booking it in for repair when you can just buy a headlight on Ebay and be done with it? You're going to pay through the neck to get that done, then it'll be recorded as a claim.

If you just buy another headlight and replace it, that's it. I don't understand why you're going through the insurance?

The headlight doesn't sit where it should - it's probably just the headlight. Buy another, change it, job done.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:41 AM   #22

The sheet metal was flexed ever so slightly. It will need to be worked forward to get the light in the correct position. I had to do the same thing with my tail light after the original owner backed into something and only replaced the tail light, leaving a pretty unsightly gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl2407 View Post
ok, first, thanks for all the responses, I am still trying to figure out if I should DIY this.

more pics,

1st, I took the headlight out (surprising easy!!!)

the tray that they headlight sits on is not cracked, broken or misshapen in any way

so with the light out and hood closed:

This tab was the only broken thing on the headlight casing, so, I fixed it with some epoxy and a screw:

however, when I put it all back in it still does not sit where it should:

and the money shot

I don't get it, the fender does not have a mark on it, no wrinkles, nothing, I measure the headlight hole dimensions between driver and passenger side and they match, so strange!

PS, I don't know why vbb inverts the images when I upload them, apologies if you get neck strain .
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:18 AM   #23
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
That almost looks like it'll be fine once you replace the headlamp and properly align the headlamp reciever plate. Are you sure the fender moved? Is the first picture taken with the hood open from the latch? If so, then I guess he fender might have moved a little to the left.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 11-19-2016 at 04:21 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #24

The fender has shifted very slightly hence having a shop perform the repair properly.
jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #25

What happened to bambi.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:23 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Why?

Why are you booking it in for repair when you can just buy a headlight on Ebay and be done with it? You're going to pay through the neck to get that done, then it'll be recorded as a claim.

If you just buy another headlight and replace it, that's it. I don't understand why you're going through the insurance?

The headlight doesn't sit where it should - it's probably just the headlight. Buy another, change it, job done.
Not sure about other states but in PA this is a comprehensive claim with a lower deductible base on your policy and it has no effect on your insurance record. My truck is $3200 in repairs and out of pocket is $100
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #27

I am buying my first Porsche,

[To morrow, a Boxster (2003 2.7 litre) I have found, 69,000 log book kms, heaps of paper work, goes in to a reputable Porsche mechanic for an assessment as to, "Am I buying something for $22,500 Australian Dollars good value for money".
Looks as new as when it came off the show room floor, but me being a person who does not know which end of a screw driver to hold, needs
professional help. I have spent 2 days researching all avenues, forums etc and just about everyone who owns a Boxster appears to be well satisfied. I am aware of the IMS Shaft Bearing and if the car passes,
then that will be replaced at a cost of $A4,800 with a new idea approved by Porsche and is given a life time warranty?????????? Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.
Basilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Not sure about other states but in PA this is a comprehensive claim with a lower deductible base on your policy and it has no effect on your insurance record. My truck is $3200 in repairs and out of pocket is $100
That's mental.

I'm in the UK, and we have a No Claims Bonus scheme. The more years you don't claim, the lower your insurance will be. Claim and you only have to pay your excess (mine is £200), but you loose your NCB, so your insurance will go up, even if it isn't your fault.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:54 AM   #29

My 2008 Cayman was hit by a deer in September of this year. My wife and I were driving down a rural road when the deer jumped into our path and hit the car while it was air born. The damage to the car was the hood, right headlight, bumper cover and right fender. The airbags did not go off and the cost to get it fixed was $5900. As others have stated, it was a comprehensive claim with lower deductible and does not count against my insurance rating. My friend at the bodyshop said, "whatever you do, always hit the deer" meaning don't try to avoid it and hit a tree or another car. His rationale was that "deer are soft" and trees and cars are hard.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:04 AM   #30

Garage
Sounds like you are doing everything right! If you get it you will love it!

Anker
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I think what folk meant about the issue of having a claim, it that your Boxster will have a collision on its record and a corresponding reduction in resale value.

It will just show up as front end damage and any prospective buyer will look elsewhere or want a deep discount for a "Crashed" boxster.

Just something to consider if you think its something you can fix yourself.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I think what folk meant about the issue of having a claim, it that your Boxster will have a collision on its record and a corresponding reduction in resale value.

It will just show up as front end damage and any prospective buyer will look elsewhere or want a deep discount for a "Crashed" boxster.

Your right there wasn't thinking about that.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

Well I don't plan on selling it any time soon, lol.

jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote