Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #21
still plays with cars...

Garage
^ The shop I think he might be referring to (on Bridge St.?) quoted $2,500 to me earlier this year for the LNS bearing.

Not them... Colby Drive in Waterloo. The Bridge St. shop was proposing an industrial grade raping when I approached them about doing the IMSR. Honestly I didn't think he really wanted my business.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #22
B6T

Ah I know who you're talking about. Colby guy is awesome and actually rented me his tools so I could fix my cam timing.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #23

How will you feel when you get another 105,000 out of your beloved?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #24

Garage
Relieved of course. But I will have also missed the autumn in DC which is great top down weather. Oh, and about $9k poorer which just gets me back to where I was before the engine died. Pissed at Porsche for leaving a known problem in the marketplace. My shop and I fell victim to the ""If it was good at 30K, it will be good at 230k" IMS myth.
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Good job on the purchase...our stories and cars are very similar. Mine is a 2003 S, had 105,000 miles on it when the engine failed, my new engine has about 30,000 miles. Have him check everything accessible while he is in there. My flywheel had lots of play in it, have your indie check yours. Also the clutch, and if you have any wheel bearing issues, now is the cheapest time to fix them because its easier to do from the inside while the axles are off the trans axle.
One of the reasons I pulled the trigger was the amoung of work ($6k, little of it engine, so carries over) we did on the car last year. On the suspension side, we replaced all 4 CV joints and nothing was mentioned about the wheel bearings

Good news is that there are No clutch issues as it a Tiptronic. Bad news is that being a Tip I never had to drop the trans and thus have a chace to do the IMS at the same time.

Last edited by Cbonilla; 11-05-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
^ The shop I think he might be referring to (on Bridge St.?) quoted $2,500 to me earlier this year for the LNS bearing.

Word of advice to Cbonilla, make sure the shop has experience with these cars, otherwise they will **************** it all up.
- Make sure they use the special service tool to install the rear main seal (RMS), otherwise it will leak again.
- Make sure they don't remove the exhaust manifolds from the new engine because there is a strong possibility they will snap the bolts off into the head and then charge you for the repair.
My shop hasa inspired a lot of confidence in me. They only do Porsche's I asked if the used the go-no-go tool and they assured me they did. New engine comes with it's own exhaust manifold (I believe)

Not sure what the reference was to a shop on Bridge Street, but that's not the address of my shop. PM me if your want their name, but they have never let me down, and worked with me to keep costs down