Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2019, 04:47 AM   #21

Same thing just happend to me...

My mistake... anyway... lockout of the car... battery not connected and front closed....

NO latch cord behind the front divers wheel... LHD... 2001 US import... had to use the OT method of direct power in fuse box which did the job... but no freaking latch... strange..

72StormDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche54321 View Post
Hi,
I have a 2001 Boxster. I know the 2000 and 2002 both have emergency release Cable located behind the plastic guard around the wheels.

I opened up both and it seems like the 2001 does not have an emergency release Cable in any of these spots, I checked behind the pass. headlight.

Further, I checked the latch part online for that year. There does not seem to be a cable Cing out of it. Just the electrical wires.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/oes-genuine-genuine-hood-lock-assembly-o2001934561oes/11697681-P

I have tried to boost it through the little thingy in the fuse box and grounding it on the door latch.

I have tried to jump it too.

I also tried to wedge a screwdriver in there.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.
I found the cable on the 2001 Boxster it was in the front of the car, you have to go from under the car if you don't see it remove the plastic. Use good lighting, I couldn't find it, but then I noticed a thin shadow of the cable and finally located. Jack up the car if you have too
Porsche54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #23
Racer Boy

When I had the front bumper cover off to clean my radiators, I re-routed the cable to behind the tow hook cover plug. That has come in handy once so far, when I had a dead battery. I just popped the cover open and pulled the cable to release the hood.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #24

Garage
The cable on my 98 is in the passenger fender well, accessible with passenger door open. Seems like they can be and have been routed just about anywhere one desires. Haha.

Putting it under the tow hook cover is a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #25

If you're able to get in the car but not the trunk why not just use a jumper cable on the alternator wire?

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #26

2002 Boxster S, played it safe and unhooked battery before working on engine, then closed hood, never got around working on engine, this is a nightmare, I cannot find emergency cable anywhere. I've been fighting with wheel well on driver's side, unable to take off wheels because lug adapter is under hood. Any ideas how to open my hood??
Thanks !
eplato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #27
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eplato View Post
2002 Boxster S, played it safe and unhooked battery before working on engine, then closed hood, never got around working on engine, this is a nightmare, I cannot find emergency cable anywhere. I've been fighting with wheel well on driver's side, unable to take off wheels because lug adapter is under hood. Any ideas how to open my hood??
Thanks !
Okay, number one, the emergency release cable is on the right side, passenger side, not driver side. If you aren’t the original owner the cable may have been rerouted to behind the front bumper toe hook access. Check there. If it isn’t then crank your wheels as far to the right as you can and you should get some access to the wheel well liners and remove some of the plastic retainers. The cable should be tucked up inside the fender below the headlight assembly.

Once you get things back up and running, reroute the cable to behind the toe hook and keep your tool kit, with the lug nut lock, behind your seat where you can get at it if the battery fails.

Also, this issue has been discussed many many times so further searches may yield some other suggestions. Good luck.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:04 AM   #28
A Porsche Guy

You are not the first and you won't be the last. The nightmare will be over soon. I have a narrow garage and I was physically pin between my wheel and wall to get into the wheel well from the passenger side. Follow the instructions given for the passenger side wheel well. I find that turning the wheel inwards as much as possible to gain more arm access helps. Like others said, you should re-route it to somewhere you find more comfortable to get to in case it happens again.

I believe the emergency trunk release cable on the driver side wheel well and I could be wrong is for UK models.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 05-28-2020 at 06:45 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #29

I'm on the RH side now, still see nothing, I have a sickening feeling it has been removed.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #30

I'm on the RH side now, still see nothing, I have a sickening feeling it has been removed.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #31

look behind tow hook cover... previous owner may have already relocated...

Good luck
Old 05-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #32

no luck there either. Just wondering, I unhooked the ground wire on the battery, I'm wondering if the "jump" method would work just to open the lid.
If not I smell tow truck.

All this and all I wanted to do was change air filter!!
Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #33

For future ref...
I have a small, square piece of 2x4 in my garage. If I ever disconnect the battery, the FIRST thing I do is to place that in the are where the latch comes down when the frunk hood is closed. Having the problem once was plenty.

Just out of curiosity, why would you disconnect the battery just to change the air filter?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #34

No clue why I decided to unhook battery, certainly won't happen again, and if I do the 2 x 4 is a must.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:59 AM   #35
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This method will work regardless of the battery, but it's a lot of work. Take the driver's seat out and remove the blue connector from the security module under the seat. Connect a source of +12 volts to pin #31 on that connector and ground the other end of your power source to the car.
Video video from my flood car frunk opening:
Old 05-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
When I had the front bumper cover off to clean my radiators, I re-routed the cable to behind the tow hook cover plug. That has come in handy once so far, when I had a dead battery. I just popped the cover open and pulled the cable to release the hood.
Great idea. Will do this on mine ASAP just in case!
outsidetheboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #37

This happened to me too just the other month! Won't happen again lol. I called AAA and they can connect a jump to the fuse panel for the fuse that governs the front release...

My jumper cables were locked in the frunk too... lol

safesaxbdd is offline   Reply With Quote