Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 9
Red face Help! Disconnected battery, closed hood - jumper method doesn't work!

Hey all, I did something stoopid...
I disconnected my battery before pulling the wiring harness of my passenger seat, and then closed the hood.
A quick google search found the method of attaching a jumper to the "hood-release terminal" in the fuse box. When I did this, it did release the steering wheel lock, however I still could not release the hood. My suspicion is that this isn't working because the battery is disconnected, as opposed to simply dead. Anybody know if this is the case?

I've also seen reference to the cable-release in the front driver's side wheel well, which you need to take the wheel off to access...
... and of course you need the tool kit to get the wheel off...
... which is in the trunk.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks for any ideas.
Jon

ImInHeavenInMy987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61316-have-you-done-yet.html

The cable is in behind the passenger (right side) headlight.
If you can turn the steering wheel, crank it all the way to the left and you should be able to get the liner pulled back enough.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
Registered User
 
MARTHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 163
.
.
I can’t answer you question about the battery being disconnected, but I recently ran my battery dead and had to use the fuse box method to open the frunk and I didn’t think it was working at first because I didn’t hold down on the release button long enough. Tried several times before realizing my error. I know this is an oversimplification but its what happened to me. Good Luck.
MARTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 9
[QUOTE=particlewave;514174]http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/61316-have-you-done-yet.html

Oooooooo...passenger side...I'll try that! I just got back in from cranking the wheel to look under the driver-side...
And yeah, re-routing that cable will be the at the top of the list after I fix this..
Thanks!

And MARTHA, I did try holding the release switch open for several seconds, thinking it might require that... nothing.

Last edited by ImInHeavenInMy987; 10-23-2016 at 03:02 PM.
ImInHeavenInMy987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 9
[QUOTE=particlewave;514174]

When you say "be able to get the liner pulled back enough"... do I need to unscrew some or all of the torx head screws holding it in place?
ImInHeavenInMy987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
Yes.

........
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 9
Cool, thx..
when you say passenger... I should mention this is a north-american car. I mention this because this video shows it the NA driver side...
ImInHeavenInMy987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Tx
Posts: 2,463
On base boxsters you can reach up through the bottom of the bumper and reach the release cable. That's if you have skinny enough arms.
__________________
Woody
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 9
The hood is open

Thank you everyone for your replies! It turns out MARTHA's suggestion of holding the release switch longer was the ticket!

Happy driving all!
ImInHeavenInMy987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 9
The hood is open
Thanks everyone for your help! In the end it was MARTHA's suggestion of holding the release switch longer when using the 12V jumper method.

Happy Driving All!
ImInHeavenInMy987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 AM   #11
Project Addicted
 
jcslocum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 623
__________________
______
Jon
1966 912, 1976 911
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 17
Hi,
I have a 2001 Boxster. I know the 2000 and 2002 both have emergency release Cable located behind the plastic guard around the wheels.

I opened up both and it seems like the 2001 does not have an emergency release Cable in any of these spots, I checked behind the pass. headlight.

Further, I checked the latch part online for that year. There does not seem to be a cable Cing out of it. Just the electrical wires.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/oes-genuine-genuine-hood-lock-assembly-o2001934561oes/11697681-P

I have tried to boost it through the little thingy in the fuse box and grounding it on the door latch.

I have tried to jump it too.

I also tried to wedge a screwdriver in there.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.
Porsche54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche54321 View Post
Hi,
I have a 2001 Boxster. I know the 2000 and 2002 both have emergency release Cable located behind the plastic guard around the wheels.

I opened up both and it seems like the 2001 does not have an emergency release Cable in any of these spots, I checked behind the pass. headlight.

Further, I checked the latch part online for that year. There does not seem to be a cable Cing out of it. Just the electrical wires.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/oes-genuine-genuine-hood-lock-assembly-o2001934561oes/11697681-P

I have tried to boost it through the little thingy in the fuse box and grounding it on the door latch.

I have tried to jump it too.

I also tried to wedge a screwdriver in there.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.
Also can some one confim that the 2001 is different than the 2000 and 2002?
Porsche54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
On base boxsters you can reach up through the bottom of the bumper and reach the release cable. That's if you have skinny enough arms.
Iss there a pic of this I'm not sure where it is. I know the cables are usually very short . Can you confirm where it would be in a 2001 base boxster from Canada?

Thank you
Porsche54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #15
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 1,252
Are you the original owner? If so, it's up inside the right-hand side wheel well behind the headlight, assuming nobody moved it. If you bought it used, it's most likely been moved for easier access. Some people relocate it behind the tow hook cover, some relocate it to somewhere they can reach it from underneath, or the radiator intake openings.

It's stainless steel and looks like a bike brake cable.

Download this catalog:
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/986_USA_KATALOG.pdf

Go to page 218 and it's item number 12

Or you can search this part number in the catalog: 996 511 521 00

One thing you can try is loosen up the bumper cover from underneath and look up in there. Unfortunately, I don't recall if you can remove the bumper cover completely without the frunk open.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImInHeavenInMy987 View Post
Hey all, I did something stoopid...
I disconnected my battery before pulling the wiring harness of my passenger seat, and then closed the hood.
A quick google search found the method of attaching a jumper to the "hood-release terminal" in the fuse box. When I did this, it did release the steering wheel lock, however I still could not release the hood. My suspicion is that this isn't working because the battery is disconnected, as opposed to simply dead. Anybody know if this is the case?

I've also seen reference to the cable-release in the front driver's side wheel well, which you need to take the wheel off to access...
... and of course you need the tool kit to get the wheel off...
... which is in the trunk.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks for any ideas.
Jon
You can remove the wheel well without removing the tire. If you jack it up it will give you enough space. Your maybe able to do it without jacking. There is a good solid spot to jack where a typical car manual would suggest.
Let me know what model Porsche YYOU have and what engine if you find the release Cable let us know where.

Could be on either side near the headlight ( two possible places to look)
Could be under the bumper
Could be around the fuse box.
Porsche54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Are you the original owner? If so, it's up inside the right-hand side wheel well behind the headlight, assuming nobody moved it. If you bought it used, it's most likely been moved for easier access. Some people relocate it behind the tow hook cover, some relocate it to somewhere they can reach it from underneath, or the radiator intake openings.

It's stainless steel and looks like a bike brake cable.

Download this catalog:
https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/986_USA_KATALOG.pdf

Go to page 218 and it's item number 12

Or you can search this part number in the catalog: 996 511 521 00.


The km

One thing you can try is loosen up the bumper cover from underneath and look up in there. Unfortunately, I don't recall if you can remove the bumper cover completely without the frunk open.

Thanks will check that out tomorrow, just one question, can you confirm that this is for the base 2001 boxster ?
Porsche54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 98
2 other ways:
1. If ur not in a hurry, get a battery tender that can be hook to the cigarette lighter to charge the battery.

2. Remove the fuse cover under the dash by the driver side. You can see the front hood cable and try to pull it.
ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:33 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche54321 View Post
Also can some one confim that the 2001 is different than the 2000 and 2002?
You get the problem solved yet?

I can't tell you—not in any detail, anyway—how the '01 differs from the '00 and '02. But I DO know that I found the pull cable you're looking for on my '01S behind the wheel well lining on the passenger (ie right) side of my Box. The ring attached to the cable is right next to the little screw driver:


Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #20
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 2,110
Photobucket? Photobucket?

__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page