Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #1

My hydraulic fluid saga - here's the deal

Well, this is the second event of the same leak in my power steering (hydraulic fluid) so Porsche had to call in the big guns (so they didn't get to three and have to replace my CAR via lemon law). Because the 987 does not have a way to measure pressure in the steering column like they do for the 986 they can only assume that there is a problem either there or the pump, so the parts have been ordered and I will be getting a new steering column, new power steering pump, and new hydraulic fluid line - good thing it's under warranty...

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:25 PM   #2

Do they know you are tracking the car?

Where was the leak? Was it on top of the engine where the cheesy line fitting enters the back of the pump?
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:28 PM   #3

with that whole thing, did you ever have what you would describe as unusual vibration or shimmy? just wondering if the power steering issue could be a more common thing than Porsche anticipated and if there's something going at that level with my Box - without being a car doc- it would seem logical that something in the steering column/mechanism would explain a shimmy (although i feel it all over in the car) and my description of instability going straight or through curves.

anyway - hope your car get's taken care of. i can't live with the problem and am tired of trying to get it resolved. by saturday i'll either own a 993 or 330ci performance pkg. hurts to get rid of the boxster, but i just hate the way it drives/handles. if it doesn't actually have a problem (i'm convinced it does, though), then my only other conclusion is that the normal driving experience (as described by the dealerships) is something i'm not happy with. it's killing me even more after (self) installing that schnell SS because that thing is so tight - in fact, one of the guys from Hoehn was like, wow this things way better than the porsche SS! i was like, i know! too bad you can't fix my car though.

993 will definitely get a SS, the 330ci has a pretty tight 6spd, but maybe eventually the UCC SS (however, for bmw, it requires getting underneath the car for installation).
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:26 AM   #4

Brad - track the car? Moi? Of course I don't track my car! Some spirited canyon runs and lots of trips to the tennis club, that's it!

MS - have they actually given up on your car and said that they cannot find the problem?? I'd suggest taking it to McKenna, and ask for my buddy Dominic - he will push the techs until they figure out what it is (he's now the service manager, I think). I didn't go there this time because it's a shorter distance to Hoehn and Hoehn has loaner cars, but now that it is there for such major surgery, I wish it was at McKenna. The leak was at the rack, or the pump, not by the engine. They replaced the line before but it keeps happening, so there is something wrong with the pressure that the pump is creating in the rack, so they figured they should just replace both.

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #5

Got it.

The early 986's have a issue with the line popping out of the power steering pump. I install a bracket that secures the line and keeps it from coming out (helps support the line)

I'm thinking about having a machine shop build a set of larger pulleys for the front of our engines. I need to slow down the accessories. The pumps are building too much pressure at Hi RPM for extended periods of time. Porsche figured this out on the GT3 engines. The lower pulley is a larger diameter then the 996/986/987/997 pulley's.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
Got it.

The early 986's have a issue with the line popping out of the power steering pump. I install a bracket that secures the line and keeps it from coming out (helps support the line)

I'm thinking about having a machine shop build a set of larger pulleys for the front of our engines. I need to slow down the accessories. The pumps are building too much pressure at Hi RPM for extended periods of time. Porsche figured this out on the GT3 engines. The lower pulley is a larger diameter then the 996/986/987/997 pulley's.

B
Let me know about those pulleys!!

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Old 06-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #7

We need to chat about several different products that YOU could sell (I'm tired of being accused of being a "vendor") Let's chat at the next event. I'll be at WillowSprings this weekend with POC and Streets on Monday with PCA.

I also would like to work with a SoCal vendor on the Boxster Spec stuff (products lines and such)

Also.. Bilstein released the PSS9's for 987/CaymanS. SSF should have access to them.

B
Old 06-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #8

epiq - i think hoehn tried, but they feel that whatever is there is normal. as you've read elsewhere, my two conclusions are either that normal is terrible or it's not normal and it's noticeable to me, but not yet a big enough problem to be noticed elsewhere (however, non dealer people who drive my car seem to feel the same abnormal shimmy). hoehn offered to have the regional guy look at it - but i can't get back there in late june.

taking it to mckenna would be the 4th attempt and third dealership. i just don't care anymore! too much trouble for a 52000 brand new car! working the deal right now on teh 330ci perf pkg. i'll get another porsche in a few years.

thanks for all the suggestions and i hope your car issues get resolved quickly! btw, i'll glad provide a testimonial for both your customer service and for the schnell SS if you want - just let me know.

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 06-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts
We need to chat about several different products that YOU could sell (I'm tired of being accused of being a "vendor") Let's chat at the next event. I'll be at WillowSprings this weekend with POC and Streets on Monday with PCA.

I also would like to work with a SoCal vendor on the Boxster Spec stuff (products lines and such)

Also.. Bilstein released the PSS9's for 987/CaymanS. SSF should have access to them.

B
You vendor, you.

We do need to meet up and chat, but I'm not going to be at Willow Springs this weekend - I'll be at the STS on the 24th-25th or whenever that is...that weekend.

I was considering going to Streets Monday with PCA but I've already gone to Willow this month and don't want to push it with 4 track days in one month, especially such a hot month...

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Old 06-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
epiq - i think hoehn tried, but they feel that whatever is there is normal. as you've read elsewhere, my two conclusions are either that normal is terrible or it's not normal and it's noticeable to me, but not yet a big enough problem to be noticed elsewhere (however, non dealer people who drive my car seem to feel the same abnormal shimmy). hoehn offered to have the regional guy look at it - but i can't get back there in late june.

taking it to mckenna would be the 4th attempt and third dealership. i just don't care anymore! too much trouble for a 52000 brand new car! working the deal right now on teh 330ci perf pkg. i'll get another porsche in a few years.

thanks for all the suggestions and i hope your car issues get resolved quickly! btw, i'll glad provide a testimonial for both your customer service and for the schnell SS if you want - just let me know.
Don't leave the Boxster fold just yet! That shimmy is NOT normal, no matter what they say, so contact PCNA and see what can be done, or contact an attorney about a lemon law issue, see how fast they move then. There was some website I registered on a while back when we had problems with my wife's Audi A6 (imagine that) and as soon as the car was on this list, the association (can't remember what it was) notified Audi and I had an offer from Audi by certified mail a week later.

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Old 06-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #11

Let me know if I can help. I have direct connections with Terry Wells (Ontario PCNA wharehouse Director). I know the parts managers/sales managers/service manager at Hoehn pretty damn well.

I know all of the movers and shakers at Pioneer here in SD also. Chris Huck is the "Boxster/Cayman" guy at Pioneer. He gets things done. They also have what I consider one of the top factory trained techs (only the lead tech gets sent to school for the CGT's)..

Dont give up yet!
Old 06-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #12

Power of the Forum.....

See Mach..... you have friends here.....

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #13

i love this forum! i'll keep everyone posted. i'm working the numbers right now on the 2005 330ci perf pkg - pretty much letting go of the 993 - can't find child booster seats that fit the rear seats of the 993 and the out the door price is a little too high. so, if the numbers come together on the 330ci, then it's a done deal. o/w, brad, maybe i'll get a hold of you and see what we can do from there. thanks

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #14

My track season slows down quite a bit over the next few months. I would be more than happy to get you some qualified help with one of the dealers (literally walk you into McKenna/Hoehn/Pioneer.. even Carlson in Palo Alto/Redwood city if need be.

I love the mid engine Porsches. I would hate to see you give up because of these issues. I understand the headaches you have already been through.

Just drop me an email:

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 06-27-2006 at 07:54 AM.