Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #1

Best nav upgrade for 2001 S

New to boxsters but long in tooth with p-cars (first one in 1970). Really enjoy our
2001 S with automatic however car came from GA so factory nav has the GA dvd and we live in MD. Anyone have a source for map 6 for this car or do I just replace with newer tech? Also anyone have technique for fixing convertible top that wants to close and stops about 1" above windshield? Also what is the
largest screen (aftermarket) that will fit in my dash? Car has factory nav and speakers on the doors if that matters.TIA, Ron in Baldwin, MD

Ron67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #2

Double DIN set up would work fine if you are looking to replace the deck/NAV unit. Factory unit at this point isn't worth the space it's taking, unless you want to keep it period correct. Personally I just use my phone and mount it on the windshield on the left side of the steering wheel. The technology changes too fast to bother having something attached to the car. The cell phone gets replace every 2 to 3 years and I have multiple choices (Waze, Google Maps, etc.) that are all automatically updated. My 2 cents.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron67 View Post
New to boxsters but long in tooth with p-cars (first one in 1970). Really enjoy our
2001 S with automatic however car came from GA so factory nav has the GA dvd and we live in MD. Anyone have a source for map 6 for this car or do I just replace with newer tech? Also anyone have technique for fixing convertible top that wants to close and stops about 1" above windshield? Also what is the
largest screen (aftermarket) that will fit in my dash? Car has factory nav and speakers on the doors if that matters.TIA, Ron in Baldwin, MD
I tend to agree that phone + bluetooth is the least expensive, most cheap to keep up to date but I understand the appeal of a built in GPS. With a built in GPS you don't have to fret about cell coverage or data usage or keeping a phone hooked up so the battery doesn't die. My wife prefers a built in system.

There are lots of threads about doing a double din installation. There is even a kit from Euro Motorspeed you can buy from Ebay or through companies like Suncoast.

Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories Aftermarket Radio Installation Kit

My research led me to Pioneer's NEX series. I've been really happy with it. You can see my install thread here. I even added a backup camera.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/62141-really-liking-pioneer-6200nex-double-din-installation.html

LEJ's install.

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

Nothing to add about NAV but I'll weigh in on the top question.

Assuming you're mot having trouble latching your top, it is normal to have the top stop shy of the header and then be pulled slightly into the header manually as you latch the top.

I've had 4 Boxsters and all of them acted the same.

That being said, it is possible to adjust things to make the top come a little closer. I've not had to do the adjustment but I've seen mention of procedure.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #5

Thank you to everyone, as to the NAV upgrade I do like the Pioneer idea. What I really want is a big screen a la tesla but that's another story. Thank you for the top idea but it seems perhaps after 15 years the top needs some adjusting. Local inde shop tells me it should not be a struggle to latch it back down so will have them adjust it. For this time of our life the boxster S is perfect and its the first Porsche (out of many) that she really likes to drive. Hooray. Ron
Ron67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #6

With a little effort the Porsche Classic Tequipment radio will work. I'm going to do it once I see clear to invest $1200. Trying to figure out how to mount a Sirius antenna on the clamshell as on 987-2 and 981.

2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 08-09-2016 at 08:01 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote