Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

Passenger window does not come back up - goes down different distance

Hi, I have an issue with my car where the passenger window does not come back up after the door is open and closed...

The interesting thing is that if I use the inside handle then the door drops about 10 mm, which is the same as the driver side (whether inside or outside handle on driver side).

However if I use the outside handle the door drops about 25-30 mm, which is about 3 times more than from the inside handle.

Closing the door has no effect and the window stays in the open position...

Thoughts?

tsasu360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Project Addicted

Can you hear the motor run when closing the door as if the window would go up? Maybe the regulator is all stretched out. Other than that, I would guess that the switch in the handle is bad and causing an issue.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Can you hear the motor run when closing the door as if the window would go up? Maybe the regulator is all stretched out. Other than that, I would guess that the switch in the handle is bad and causing an issue.
Thanks...good point on this test...

The motor does not try to lift the window when the door closes...whether the handle is pulled or closed, once in the state that the window went down it's pretty much set and won't come back up unless activated with the window switch.

So maybe this is not a regulator issue but why would the inside and outside handles lower the window to different heights?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

micro switches acting up, a falso short connection would cause different drops
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #5

Give this a shot, I found this hack somewhere and it worked great.

Lower and raise the window three times, on that final raise, hold the switch in the up position for 5 seconds (after it has reached the full close position) before you release it.

It works, let us know how it goes.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #6

... and keep your tongue poked out of the side of your mouth the window is on and click your heels together as well.

Just messing around a little, Slate... what you're suggesting is good advice as the window can develop a bad memory and this resets it from what I've read.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Give this a shot, I found this hack somewhere and it worked great.

Lower and raise the window three times, on that final raise, hold the switch in the up position for 5 seconds (after it has reached the full close position) before you release it.

It works, let us know how it goes.
Actually I tried this before and it did not make any change. The idea from what I had read was that it was a way to zero the starting or ending location of the windows.

So I guess in my guess is that I should start with the microswitches first? Is there a way to debug them in order? Any other links that you guys may have found useful if you had this problem?

Thanks