Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #1

986 Performance Group Buy Survey... What should I sell

Hello Everyone, some of you have seen my posts on the for sale classifieds.

I am trying to figure out what most of you guys would like me to build/modify: The following are a few of my ideas. I have made prototypes but have not released them yet.

A. An aux/usb flush mount for all CDR-220 units. Again this is not the wire sticking out... it will look like this.

Price:100 Shipped

B. the Scan Gauge II - ( Code and engine vital reader)

Price:180 includes the mount and the Scan Gauge II.

C. 74mm Throttle body/Plenum for 986- 2000-03. - (Includes a flexible intake tubing with adapters, 996 throttle body, 996 plenum, silicone adapters and clamps)

Price: 399.

...After a little research it looks like my design is very similar if not the same as AndyA6

Last edited by GatorLapis; 07-18-2016 at 04:54 PM.
GatorLapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:36 AM   #2

If you ask me I'd say that all are absolutely brilliant ideas and equally in demand. Near impossible to say which would be more popular, if this is what your survey is asking.

Side note; not sure how similar the TB kit is with Ben's kit but worth looking into. Sure U2's products put together would be killer. Thinking loud only mate
Old 07-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #3

I agree with Nine8Six, all good ideas! To answer your question, "What would most of us like to see you build or modify"- My guess is that most of us could probably install the first two items but the last item looks like it's for the more advanced gearheads. I'm a non-gearhead but I've installed my own stereos in the past, and can do minor stuff like change oil/spark plugs/dist. cap so when I see the throttle body in your pic above, I've no idea what it is or whatitdo
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #4

thank you guys. I would love to make all these for everyone but money becomes an issue... if i have some pre-orders then I could start sending units out. I want to have an understanding for what most Boxster owners like... do most of you want an extra 5-8 whp for 400 dollars or the capability of using Bluetooth and listen to jams on the countryside for 100.00 dollars.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #5

Garage
Definitely interested in item A.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #6

Gator, thanks for the straight forward question.

In that case I'd be more interested in item C. Not exactly cheap but do recognize the power gain and would be willing to throw it in. In fact a lot of the 2.5 league would be interested in item C I'm sure.

But again, that doesn't mean that A and B are not equally interesting for me. You asked us to make a choice, so I did.

Hope it helps
Old 07-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #7

My less than .02 worth.
#1. Pros: Looks great and would be a very nice addition for anyone keeping stock head unit.
Cons (My opinion only): As usual, technology has advanced to the point that Aux in is not that big a deal anymore, nor is USB, other than charging. For under $100, it is fairly easy to buy a head unit with aux and BT that would be more than comparable to our stock radio. I love the stock look but at some point, decided I liked the features of the newer head units.

#2. No real opinion other than it looks great. I guess at your estimated price point, performance data would be very helpful for a buyer to determine if its a worthwhile buy.

Best of luck!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Ben-Auto-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Gator, thanks for the straight forward question.

In that case I'd be more interested in item C. Not exactly cheap but do recognize the power gain and would be willing to throw it in. In fact a lot of the 2.5 league would be interested in item C I'm sure.

But again, that doesn't mean that A and B are not equally interesting for me. You asked us to make a choice, so I did.

Hope it helps
The 996 TB and plenum won't fit a 2.5, the intake design is different.
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
My less than .02 worth.
#1. Pros: Looks great and would be a very nice addition for anyone keeping stock head unit.
Cons (My opinion only): As usual, technology has advanced to the point that Aux in is not that big a deal anymore, nor is USB, other than charging. For under $100, it is fairly easy to buy a head unit with aux and BT that would be more than comparable to our stock radio. I love the stock look but at some point, decided I liked the features of the newer head units.

#2. No real opinion other than it looks great. I guess at your estimated price point, performance data would be very helpful for a buyer to determine if its a worthwhile buy.

Best of luck!
Thank you for your input. As you mentioned most of us purist like the stock look of the factory radio. I do agree I have seen good radios for 100 dollars or less but they rarely match the rest of the dated 986 interior.

The scan gauge II alone unfortunatly costs between 110-160 dollars.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
You are correct, however besides the drive by wire I don't see why it would t fit.

Alex
Old 07-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
I'm guessing the egas and mechanical design aren't compatible also :/ Ah well...

Total discrimination. So you performance parts designers does it for cars who already performs perfectly? Forgetting the car that needs it most??? Totally unfair lollll
Old 07-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #12

Updated the original post with the aux/usb pic. What do you guys think?
Old 07-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorLapis View Post
Thank you for your input. As you mentioned most of us purist like the stock look of the factory radio. I do agree I have seen good radios for 100 dollars or less but they rarely match the rest of the dated 986 interior.

The scan gauge II alone unfortunatley costs between 110-160 dollars.
My bad! My earlier reference and comments on #2 was actually meant for the intake stuff.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #14

Yay first customer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefasazn View Post
Just unboxed and installed my Scangauge and mount I got from Alex.

Part came in a padded envelope and wrapped in some rambunctious saran wrap. It was great!

Here are a few pics of it out of the box:

Installation took all of five minutes. Pulled out my cubby, ran the line behind the dash, plugged everything in, and popped the mount into the hole formerly taken up by the cubby. It took more time to stage and take the pictures than the actual installation

Here is the pic showing where I ran the line:

Here is the shot plugging the wire into the unit:

The final product:

Overall, it was a great experience, Alex is easy to deal with, and the part is absolutely simple to install. If you are looking at adding a Scangauge to your car, this definitely make it a clean install. I would recommend it!
Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #15

Garage
What all does the scanguage tell you?
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
It tells you all this...

The gauge and code reader will allow you to monitor intake air temp, water temp, mpg, battery voltage, throttle position sensor, fuel system loop status, cost per mile, gallons or liters per hour, ignition timing, engine loading, mph, and RPM.

It will also allow you to adjust the background color of the unit and scan/clear engine codes.

Check it out at ScanGaugeII : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge

If you would like to trial it... the program is as follows:

Deposit 100 dollars to my paypal: ahflores@ufl.edu
I will send out a mounted unit that is plug and play for your car, trial it for a week and send it back. I will pay for shipping both ways plus I will refund you 70 dollars once I receive it. If you would like to keep it, just send me 50 dollars more and its yours forever!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Faster this way

http://www.scangauge.com/wp-content/uploads/documentation/sgii-legacy/SG_Manual_2-51.pdf
Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #18

Alex,

Can you adapt the USB and Aux plug into the little blank panel on the driver side? That's where my phone mount is, so it would be a lot cleaner than having wires running over to the side.

Also, if you can get the USB power to 2.4A or higher, that would be great. 1A does nothing with any current smartphones.

This blank plug here:

Last edited by onefasazn; 07-22-2016 at 11:16 AM.
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #19

This oval blank plug here:

onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #20

Good opportunity for requests:

Alex,

Can you put together a "definitive and ultimate" sound system for the Porsche Boxster 986 97~04 please. Needs 2 speakers + 2 subs kit that slams better than bose, one extra slimfit underseat subwoofer, and one head-unit having similar amber backlit temp to dash lighting. Pre-amp, built-in amp, external amp, whatever you can rig together with your local Audio Pro guy, that'd be nice. Something less than +/-$1,500

Note that I've never seen this "ultimate Boxster Sound Kit", only read a thousand+ times that the audio sound in the 986 just doesn't cut it. Not many of us knows what to do with this problem as it stand, apparently, 20 years later.

Thank you!