Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #1

Garage
Diagnosing HVAC Controls?

I've been searching and obviously I'm not looking in the right spot. I remember seeing something around the web about the HVAC being voltage Strict. I did a Blue LED Color Change to my HVAC Unit. It came out flawless. But I did notice right away which I noted on the post I made last year about it, that it took a short time, like 30 seconds for the fan to kick on. But then it got longer, the fan speed indicator would bounce up and down, the fan would start blowing, stop, start blowing and then finally kick on. AC Is cold as heck too. I haven't done performance tests on the AC but the fan doesn't blow at all. Nor does the AC Indicator come on. It just does this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKeGEcdWko

Well, Its been working till a month ago. It took hours of driving for it to finally come on, now nothing. I've unhooked it, plugged it back up. Disconnected battery for 24hr. But I remember the thing about voltage not being right so after some research I find that apparently Color'ed LED's hold different voltage values. Say the same LED in Orange is 2.1v, but the same in Blue is 3.5v or to some extent. So I'm thinking maybe that is what is going on. The Display itself is way bright compared to the dim buttons. But I am only using a piece of paper to dicipate the light to look even on the display.

I do not have the old LED's anymore to put back in, some got destroyed on removal, and the rest I tossed once the unit was installed and looked amazing.

IDK what to do, except buy another Expensive unit, hoping that is my issue with why my HVAC system doesn't work. But Its getting bad, 110* days and rush hour traffic is taking the life out of me.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
Hi josh.
I find it hard to believe that the LED's are the source of the problem.
My guess is the fan resistor or the unit itself is in fault.
My suggestion to you, is to swap the unit and see what is the result.
What year is your car? Better of, what is the part number of your AC control?
I have a unit laying around as a back up, and I have no problem to ship it to you , so you can test it on your car (if it fits).
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #3

Garage
996 653 101 08 from an 01 boxster. While searching I read that someone had an issue where he unplugged his blower, and the AC Light would come on, and the compressor would kick on. but when the blower was connected it wouldn't. But I tried disconnecting mine, atleast I think I am since the 2 pin plug goes into what looks to be the blower motor.... and nothing changes.

and I never had any issues with like fan speed. I always kept my car on Auto and at like 70* because it worked out soo well to keep the inside comfortable.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
1999 base

Garage
Not sure if main is going to fit.
It's a 2002 that I got from another member here on the forum.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/60261-climate-control-unit-2002-cars-%2480.html
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I seriously doubt the LEDs could cause issues as they are basically on an independent circuit. Methinks you have some rogue solder on the board or damaged a nearby component.

I'd contact Woody for an economical replacement to test (after inspecting the board for runaway solder).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

Garage
Just got the new, and TESTED Working with Video Proof HVAC Controls from Woody, same thing. I can tell the controls are working, you can hear the flapper moving for heat or cool temps. But AC Light doesn't turn on, and fans don't turn on wither using AC button or not and heat or cold. I saw someone mention a similar problem, where he would remove the plug from the blower, and the AC Light would turn on and compressor would engage..... which lead him to believe the blower was bad. I tried that.... atleast I think I did, I pulled a 2 pin plug from the blower motor assy.... and nothing changed. I even tested the two pin plug for voltage, got nothing.

So what next? Remember this isn't exactly AC Specific. I'm sure I can go outside right now and jump the compressor clutch without issue.... But I also guarentee the wire to the clutch isn't getting any power due to whatever sends the power, isn't sending the power due to whatever this problem is. Plus with that said, even with AC off, and trying heat.... no fan.

And a reminder, the issue started with the Fan/HVAC system taking a short while to turn on, and it would turn on, then off, on then off, and then finally on. Then it took longer.... and longer. Till one day it didn't turn on at all. HVAC Controls move around as if its like it is trying to turn things on but nothing is turning on.....

Some sort of Resistor or what not that could be blower related maybe? Causing the system to trip out? Please don't tell me the ECU controls this shat! I've about had it up to here (points above his head) with these stupid random german car quirks. About ready to convert it all to manual controls. 12v switch to engage the clutch, regulated 12v pot to control the fan speed and a knob with a cable to switch between hot and cold like older cars used to have.

I had a BMW in Service the other day, we spent hours trying to figure out their AC.... why it just randomly stopped working. It went into whats called Transport Mode which disabled the AC and Defroster and who knows what else. So only the dealership could disable this mode. STUPID!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #7

Garage
Well car is being torn down for Clutch, Starter, IMS, RMS, Sump Pan Gasket and other lil things the car needs.... I have some time to play with figuring out the AC.... Help me out guys.... where do I need to look now.....
Old 07-25-2016, 04:09 AM   #8

Have you taken a look at the fan resistor yet? The Porsche design seems to be stout because the resistor doesn't cause a lot of problems. On other makes it's a common problem. I've had to replace the fan resistor on my F350 and Grand Cherokee because they had corroded.

I can send you one for $25 shipped. Cheapest I found new was $175

Last edited by itsnotanova; 07-25-2016 at 04:16 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #9

I talked this over with a friend today and he thinks it a fuse or relay giving you some issues. He didn't think it was the resistor because it "should" still work on the high fan setting. I have to agree with him mostly about the resistor working on high. Most fan resistors I've messed with where suppose to still work on high. The resistor I replaced on my jeep had shorted and caused the wire connection to melt. Still doesn't hurt to take a look back there though
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #10

Garage
I was thinking about a resistor... Couldn't find any info tho even at work... Just relays and blower motors. But I was going to try replacing the relay... Where is the resistor? And I don't want you sending me anymore till I pay you for the Controls. Even tho it wasn't my problem, it's in perfect shape compared to mine, esp now my display has bled half through. And replacement LCDs are expensive. Unless you have a non working unit with a good display... I could send this one back to you instead since I'm sure it can help someone else who's controls are not functioning. Whereas I'm assuming mine are because yours didn't work for me but worked flawless in your car.

I also was going to test the blower however testing the plug for voltage at high speed, there was non. So fan can't work if nothing is powering it.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #11

Garage
So I haven't gone digging through relays yet after all this time since I couldn't find any info on which relay plus everyone was claiming resistor for the blower motor... I found the damn thing and it was toast. Replaced it with one next to it and everything turned on. Thank God. I got my car back to normal.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
So I haven't gone digging through relays yet after all this time since I couldn't find any info on which relay plus everyone was claiming resistor for the blower motor... I found the damn thing and it was toast. Replaced it with one next to it and everything turned on. Thank God. I got my car back to normal.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Which relay was the problem, I changed my AC LEDs and am now having a similar problem.
garym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym View Post
Which relay was the problem, I changed my AC LEDs and am now having a similar problem.
Blower fan resistor, not relay.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #14

This is the behavior I'm seeing...

garym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:41 AM   #15

Whenever you face any home appliance issues, The HVAC control units are the best way to call. As like you faced issues with AC controller, last summer my uncle who is living in Santa Barbara also faced a similar type of issues, so he decided to contact to the best AC maintenance Santa Barbara from the official site, the contractor from the Company came and solved the issue, along with repairing the and replacing the bug units.
Deanadolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:43 AM   #16

Whenever you face any home appliance issues, The HVAC control units are the best way to call. As like you faced issues with AC controller, last summer my uncle who is living in Santa Barbara also faced a similar type of issues, so he decided to contact to the best AC maintenance Santa Barbara from the official site, the contractor from the Company came and solved the issue, along with repairing the and replacing the bug units..
Old 04-06-2019, 02:07 AM   #17

Whenever you face any home appliance issues, The HVAC control units are the best way to call. As like you faced issues with AC controller, last summer my uncle who is living in Santa Barbara also faced a similar type of issues, so he decided to contact to the best AC maintenance Santa Barbara from the official site, the contractor from the Company came and solved the issue, along with repairing the and replacing the bug units.