Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Bad, Bad, Bad VW

That's gonna hurt.

VW US emissions settlement reported to cost $15bn - BBC News

rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #2

This will be a slippery slope to automobile manufacturers ...just wait
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
This will be a slippery slope to automobile manufacturers ...just wait
Not worried; feel bad for the younger generations however as they'll have to live among those millions of adv electronics factories producing far more hazardous chemical wastes and vapors, others unleashing their great radiation disasters, just so they can supply their little modern energy requirements. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to clean air acts or anything, sorry if it sounds that way.

My soon or preferred roadster (or convertible) may well end up looking like below anyway lollll. Top speed 80km/h, 300km range, and it sounds just like any one million dollar Tesla car

Comes along with a headwear H.U.D. (GPS, FM, Central Mgt, etc)

Old 06-28-2016, 02:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Not worried; feel bad for the younger generations however as they'll have to live among those millions of adv electronics factories producing far more hazardous chemical wastes and vapors, others unleashing their great radiation disasters, just so they can supply their little modern energy requirements. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to clean air acts or anything, sorry if it sounds that way
I agree. I have to laugh at part of the settlement being $2.7 billion to offset diesel emissions. I didnt realize that there was a direct correlation between currency and clean air

Last edited by billh1963; 06-28-2016 at 03:57 AM.
billh1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:46 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billh1963 View Post
I agree. I have to laugh at part of the settlement being $2.7 billion to offset diesel emissions. I didnt realize that there was a direct correlation between currency and clean air
Yes -- the politicians use the bills to scrub the smoke coming out of the VW tailpipes...
FoxRvrBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:35 AM   #6

Garage
In regards to the buy-back cars: Assuming the as-yet-released 'fix' that needs to be applied to the diesel engines will really kill the performance (and limit their resale value), I wonder if they have a secondary plan to swap out the diesel engines and related components for gasoline engines in some of the cars. Is the trans the same in the TDI cars....or would labor be prohibitive?

I can't imagine them just crushing the hundreds of thousands of cars that are likely to be bought back or had their leases terminated.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #7

The VW 'solution' is to just export the dirty diesels to 3rd world countries !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

Garage
It's a shame when a company is punished for making the best car at the best price for their buyers regulations be damned. Honestly I have respect for Piech or whoever sent this through.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
The VW 'solution' is to just export the dirty diesels to 3rd world countries !
I have absolutely no doubt the buyback cars will be shipped to China.

That's where Porsche ships most of their lemon law buybacks from what I heard from several people at Parade last week
Old 06-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #10

Just keep in mind that the requirements VW faces in the USA are 100 times more strict than for a pickup truck.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #11

Garage
VW cannot resell or export the vehicles unless the U.S. EPA approves a fix. So they can't just ship them to another country.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Just keep in mind that the requirements VW faces in the USA are 100 times more strict than for a pickup truck.
US emissions limits are stricter than in Europe, but within the US the car and light truck standards since ~2007 are the same up to 8500 lbs.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #13

So VW is getting whacked hard can we do the same to those that roll coal?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Mig

Garage
Dont get me started on the EPA. That organization is dirtier than the exhaust of any VW diesel.
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
VW cannot resell or export the vehicles unless the U.S. EPA approves a fix. So they can't just ship them to another country.
How do you figure that? Is that part of the agreement?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billh1963 View Post
How do you figure that? Is that part of the agreement?
Yes...they have to provide an EPA-approved fix before resale or export. If they scrap them, they still can't sell the diesel bits..... (italics are mine)

https://www.justice.gov/enrd/consent-decree/us-v-volkswagen-group-america-et-al

7.2.2. Limitation on Scrapping of Vehicles. Returned Eligible Vehicles and 2.0 Liter
Subject Vehicles may be salvaged for parts, and such parts may be sold in the United States or exported, provided,
however, that in no event may the ECU, diesel oxidation catalyst, or diesel particulate filter be salvaged, resold, or exported.
7.2.3. Sale and Export of Returned Vehicles. Notwithstanding the requirements of
subparagraphs 7.2.1 and 7.2.2 above, Settling Defendants may elect to resell or sell any returned Eligible Vehicle or any 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicle
in the United States, provided, however, that Settling Defendants first modify the particular vehicle in accordance with the applicable Approved
Emissions Modification, label such vehicle, and provide the Approved Emissions Modification Disclosure, warranty, and Warranty Remedies as provided
in Paragraph 5.3 above to prospective purchasers, and meet the other requirements for resale of returned vehicles set forth in Appendix B.
Settling Defendants may not export or arrange for the export of 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicles, unless such vehicle has been modified in accordance with
the applicable Approved Emissions Modification pursuant to the terms of Appendix B of this Consent Decree.

As specified in Appendices A and B, Settling Defendants may export from the United States to another country any 2.0 Liter Subject Vehicle, provided
that such vehicle has received the applicable Approved Emissions Modification, and that no vehicle may be exported if the applicable Approved Emissions
Modification has been suspended
as set forth in Appendix B, Paragraph 7.3.