Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

the beast almost bought it on Thursday !

So I'm coming home from work this past Thursday it was a nice day in GA. but a little on the hot side. I had a 3 day weekend coming up and was feeling good . AC was going and I was loving the engine note from the beast. I was about 2 miles from my house on the main road that feeds into our subdivision . Like any day within a 50 mile radius of Atlanta there was traffic. I rolled to a stop and was just sitting there when I heard the VERY LOUD sound of tires screeching !!! I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a Mitsubishi sport ute of some kind heading towards me with all four tires bellowing smoke ! I was pinned in by cars next to me and the cars in front of me. I braced for impact and kept watching in the rearview mirror. At the last second the Mitsu driver realized she wasn't going to stop in time to avoid hitting me and made a hard right turn towards the shoulder/guardrail . If she missed me by a foot I think that is being generous. My heart was racing and the beotch in the Mitsu her eyes were the size of saucers. I am 99 % sure she was on the phone . I am just glad she didn't hit me and I was quite surprised her brakes actually locked up, I thought anti-lock brakes would have prevented that ? Anyway the beast is safe and sound in the garage ready to fight another day .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Damn - sounds like it was too close for comfort! Glad that everything turned out well.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #3

I know the feeling. I've been hit from behind and saw the whole thing coming at me. Glad that you did not get hit.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #4

Glad for you that tragedy was avoided. I had a similar heart-stopping, slo-mo, "Oh, CRAP! My car is toasted," coming around a turn on a lonely country road in WV at 35 at seeing a deer on the left side of the road pause then run ACROSS the road in front of me.

Brakes slammed, I'm guessing the margin of miss was similar to yours. I sat at idle for about 5 minutes before gathering to drive again.

I view these kind of events as blunt but "safe" reminders that God is in charge and watching over us.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #5

Cell phone jammers and Auto Braking cars are the solution.

Some dumb Cell yapper twisted up my Wranglers rear bumper that way, but I was quite pleased to see that my Trailer hitch ball went clear through her radiator. She was not driving away from that Cell etiquette lesson.

Deers are Performance Driving School practice, no sweat to avoid those when you know what to do.

I cringed when I thought of what could have happened to your new Raby Build.

I'd say you have been drained of all your good luck credits and need to be extra vigilant now.
People don't get that lucky twice unless they have a significant amount of good Karma amassed from a lifetime of good deeds.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

Garage
Anti lock brakes only work in a car that is well maintained. When the sensor or module is toast and you don't replace it (usually quite expensive) you have manual brakes again. Glad to hear you're good.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #7

Garage
Or they might have pulled the e-brake which is always the best option when hard braking and trying to maintain control of a car.

That was written in my sarcastic font.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote