Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 04:57 AM   #1

Garage
Oil Dipstick Tube Removal

I'm in the middle of dropping my engine, and I'm curious as to what to do with my oil dipstick tube. I disconnected it from the coolant reservoir tank, but it will not feed through the firewall and into the engine bay. It appears that there is a junction in the engine bay itself, next to the throttle body and oil filler tube, and I was wondering if it is possible to disconnect it there. If it isn't, I may just cut it off and worry about it later. It descends into the engine just above the starter. I'll get pictures if I can, but i'm just not sure what to do about it.

cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #2

Garage
I want to say the oil filler tube is three sections. So you should be able to disconnect them all and have three separate pieces. Since you're going through this it may not be a bad idea to replace them all anyway. They are relatively cheap and they often get brittle and crack from age. They then cause vacuum leaks. Maybe someone who has dealt with an engine drop can verify.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornontherob View Post
I'm in the middle of dropping my engine, and I'm curious as to what to do with my oil dipstick tube. I disconnected it from the coolant reservoir tank, but it will not feed through the firewall and into the engine bay. It appears that there is a junction in the engine bay itself, next to the throttle body and oil filler tube, and I was wondering if it is possible to disconnect it there. If it isn't, I may just cut it off and worry about it later. It descends into the engine just above the starter. I'll get pictures if I can, but i'm just not sure what to do about it.
I don't recall exactly indicating it is a non-issue. There is a very sturdy short dipstick tube that bolts to the top of the engine. The plastic tube at the top by the coolant reservoir is self supporting, so just lower engine gradually & you will see when & how to separate the tubes.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
1999 base

Garage
the dipstick tube is very easy to remove.
it is connected via "quick connect" type of connection.
you just press on the gray tab, and pull it into the trunk with the rubber grommet.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #5

Garage
So i'm getting mixed answers. Do I just lower the engine and hope it pops out of the top of the block as it's lowering, or is there a quick release on the bottom of this tube as well as the top (where it intersects with the coolant resevoir)? Do I need to get a wrench and get it out that way?
cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

You have to guide it down as you lower the engine. Once it is down part way, pull the dipstick out of the tube and see if you can find the disconnect pointed out above.

Do NOT push the dipstick into the hole. The upper plastic part will break in pieces and they cost $57. Ask me how I know.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
1999 base

Garage
Not sure I understand the whole "lowering the engine" thing myself.
The dipstick tube is made from more then 1 piece.
You don't need to remove the piece that connects to the engine case.
Just press the gray tab, and pull the tube From the rubber grommet into the trunk.
Maybe this diagram will help you better see it.

Engine Lubrication

You take out part 20/21 part 12 stays on the engine.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote