Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

Upgrading my 98' boxster.

First, this is an amazing car. It is my first car, for an early graduation present (I was reluctant to add this though, I'm just letting whoever is kind enough to answer, know all the details and circumstances). So, I'm a novice and relatively new to having it. It is in great condition for having a little less than 80,000 miles. The two owners prior to me took excellent care of it and I plan on doing the same. Ive gotten adept to driving manual and the hang over the car and I love driving it! But, I was wondering what I can do to upgrade it or, add to the overall experience. I'm wondering because, I plan on having this car for a long time and I want to get the most out of having a Porsche Boxster (not because I'm unsatisfied at all haha). I have, give or take a grand to throw down on it. I was looking at some new LED headlights and a radio (also wondering what I can do for that). But, also performance and sound. I'm not planning on racing anyone or showing off, merely for my overall driving experience and personal satisfaction. I was looking at Pedro's garage for my 986 and there was nice improvements there.

I see people saying de-snorkeling it improves sound but, I was wondering if this does anything to the airflow into the engine (Improves, diminishes). Also, would adding a new air filter do anything? Is there anything that will boost horsepower, torque or, overall feel that is affordable? I was looking at technopower but, would I have to bring it to a shop because of all the addition and tuning the ECU sensor? Overall additions making driving it any more enjoyable? Any answers or experience with upgrading or additions would be great. Also, just any tips or ideas on anything with it would be great! I'm also very glad I found this awesome website/forum. Thank you!

Last edited by Wilson98; 01-23-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Wilson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #2

Garage
The first upgrade I'd make is to add an s between box and ter.

Now that that joke is out of the way, welcome. If you do a quick search on this forum you'll find many opinions on getting the most out of this car. One thing you'll notice about Porsches is unlike american muscle they've really done most of the potential maximizing. There are not many easy strap on performance mods that add much because the thing was engineered to make the most of what it has.

For the 2.5 there is a tpc supercharger available that adds a bit of hp as well as adding an under drive pulley can add about 7 horsepower. Desnorkling doesn't add anything but a bit of growl from the exhaust some say it does take away some hp but it's pretty negligible. There are threads on both of these including a guy who put the SC on his 98.

Obviously if you're handy and you're looking for a boost, you can swap your 2.5 out for a bigger carrera engine, or trade your 98 in for an S model. Assuming those are out of your price range though.

As far as air filters, general consensus is stay away from k and n oiled filters. The paper factory filter is just fine.

The best way to add hp is to go to driver education events and track days. That car will never be a straight line car, but what makes it so special is how it handles in the corners. If you learn how to unlock it's potential you won't think it's so underpowered. Trust me when I say that this car can handle much more than all but the highest qualified Porsche factory driver can throw at it. Make sure your tires and suspension are good and learn how to drive it like you stole it.

Last edited by jdraupp; 01-23-2016 at 01:07 PM.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Invest in yourself and your driving skills first.

A Boxster has about 10 times the capability in pure stock form than most owners driving skills. Take the money and attend a performance driving school to learn how to properly turn, brake, and accelerate. You will learn more than you ever thought possible and you will also be a safer driver on the street.

When you can drive better than the stock car, then think about upgrading the car.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #4

Little things to do that I think have been great....

LED interior lighting...Under $15 using online sources such as _bay and Amazing.

Audio:
If you have the factory radio and want to keep it. Look for and Auxiliary input kit.
New dash speakers....At least remove yours and check the foam surrounds. Mine were toast.
Door/rear speakers. A little less bang for the buck but still worth considering.

Wind blocker....If your car didn't come with the mesh and Plexiglas wind blocker, get them! Thy'll extend your top down experience by about 10 degrees at least.

Also, Check all your convertible drains and lube the pivot points and tracks of the top mechanism...not an upgrade but it'll save you potential trouble down the road. What this will do is familiarize you with putting your top in service position and seeing where everything is around your car!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
CEL P0306

Garage
Congratulations. I'm with the sentiments already expressed. Rather than chase horsepower, save your money for good preventive maintenance. It's a good way to start to really learn the car - or you could save for a second Porsche.
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Invest in yourself and your driving skills first.

A Boxster has about 10 times the capability in pure stock form than most owners driving skills. Take the money and attend a performance driving school to learn how to properly turn, brake, and accelerate. You will learn more than you ever thought possible and you will also be a safer driver on the street.

When you can drive better than the stock car, then think about upgrading the car.
Yes. Do this. Then we`ll talk.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:33 AM   #7

Garage
As others have already said, invest in yourself. Join your local PCA chapter and then sign up for their DE. Save the money for inevitable maintenance expenses. Learn how to do some of the maintenance yourself by buying the 101 Projects for your Boxster. The LN Spin Oil Filter along with the magnetic drain plug is another good choice so that you can take care of your engine. The under drive pulley would be a good, reasonably priced upgrade to start out with to gain a little more HP. The top speed muffler is also reasonably priced if your money is burning a hole in your pocket. I would upgrade your speakers before the HU. And don't worry about your age, there are plenty of other young guys on this forum. It is always good to see youth and enthusiasm! Enjoy and welcome
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:14 AM   #8

Garage
A good point here...invest in frequent oil changes, best practice is to change every 5,000 miles at least once a year or 6 months if possible. If you learn how to change the oil yourself it can be done for about 55-60 bucks in parts and oil. All you really need to do it is a set of ramps a ratchet with hex sockets and the oil filter tool. Investing in the ln magnetic drain plug, a spin on filter and a torque wrench would also be good ideas. Dealer will charge about 180 bucks to do this so you'll save a lot if you learn yourself. Good videos on YouTube detailing the process for these cars.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #9

Garage
If you're hell bent on spending money on performance changes then install the ROW M030 Sport suspension (huge improvement in handling) and the big red brakes from an "S" with larger discs but the brakes only if you have 17" wheels. They won't clear on 16s. As everyone else has mentioned learn the car and these two upgrades will improve your experience greatly.
Going after more hp on these 2.5L's is expensive and gives little return.

Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote