Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Semi OT-Brake Upgrade for my daily driver

My daily driver is a 2012 Acura TL which will need brakes soon. Currently I have about 77k miles and my daily commute is 60 miles each way, about 50 of those highway miles with lots of traffic. I replaced the front brakes and rotors prematurely once due to "warping," and now the front disks are "warped" again. I use the "quotes" as I've read that the rotors don't actually warp, but they get irregular deposits of brake material on their braking surface that is the equivalent, causing the run-out that causes the pedal pulsation. This car has the cheaper design calipers that are floating with the piston(s) only on one side of the caliper.

I've read that some causes for the "warping" are improperly torque-ing the lug nuts, and the pins that the calipers slide can get sticky. I think my caliper pins may be sticky as there is now a slight high speed steering wheel vibration even when not applying the brakes. The wheels and tires were just checked for problems and rebalanced, which didn't affect the vibration.

On my 2003 Boxster S I'm still on my original brakes at 55,000 miles with no issues. I drive that car on my same commute and have the same types of emergency stops when commuting traffic quickly goes from 70-80 mph to a stop. Of course the Boxster has much better brakes though!

My Acura's rear brakes will be due for replacement pretty soon. I am contemplating an upgrade of the pads and rotors at all 4 wheels if anyone thinks that would eliminate or lessen the "warping" issue. I see plenty of places offering upgraded pads and rotors online - some rotors available for this car are drilled, slotted and even drilled and slotted together. I'm not looking for better braking performance on this car, don't need stainless steel lines or Brembo type calipers. Just looking to keep the braking performance the car has and avoid the "warping" of the rotors if I can.

So if anyone can offer any advice or specific products to look at, I would really appreciate it!

PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #2

For my non-Porsche cars, I have been liking the Centric rotors (the basic ones, painted hats, but not drilled or anything.) and their ceramic posi-quiet premium with shims. They are very reasonable and I have been happy. I like to use the wizard at the centric website to get part numbers and order from rock auto.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
What ever you get make sure to take out the pins the calipers float on and clean them. Then make sure they are smooth and the boots aren't ripped. Then put a nice coating of waterproof grease on the pins.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #4

Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I'm thinking I'll buy new pins and boots from Acura, they aren't much money.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
What ever you get make sure to take out the pins the calipers float on and clean them. Then make sure they are smooth and the boots aren't ripped. Then put a nice coating of waterproof grease on the pins.
+1 on that, I always forget how easy our pads are to change until I do the other vehicles with the bolts and greasing the pins, etc.... I like the Porsche brakes better
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I'm thinking I'll buy new pins and boots from Acura, they aren't much money.

Boots absolutely, but pins not necessary provided existing ones straight and not too corroded (i.e. need little more than penetrating oil to get off). You can lightly sand them back to a smooth even surface. Then coat well w/ some caliper grease like Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube. Most parts stores sell it in ketchup like packs at front counter... one per corner usually more than enough.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2016, 04:34 AM   #7

+4 on greasing the pins on sliding calipers. I've seen a few rotors get ruined because the pins stuck and only one side of the caliper was applying pressure to the rotor. I wish every vehicle came with fixed calipers.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #8

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
+4 on greasing the pins on sliding calipers. I've seen a few rotors get ruined because the pins stuck and only one side of the caliper was applying pressure to the rotor. I wish every vehicle came with fixed calipers.
I assume the manufacturers do this as they save a couple of bucks per corner times 4 times the number of cars they build and it adds up. What really gets me the most is the premium cars like Audi, BMW and Mercedes use these floating caliper brakes, but now they are putting fancy covers on the outside of these calipers with their brand names cast or stamped in to make them look better through the wheels. Why don't they just step up and go to a nice fixed caliper if they're spending the extra money to disguise the floating caliper?

Thanks for the advice!