Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhopkins View Post
Thanks everyone for the great information. Given my budget, I'm thinking that I might want to skip the S model and find a base model that is one owner and near perfect.

It drive me crazy that people would buy a car like these and not require the service records from the previous owner. I blame the dealerships. It seems they could not care less.

As far as the work, I am pretty handy... and like to do as much myself as I can. That said, My other car is a 71 Baja. I've gotten spoiled on how easy it is to work on. I broke my clutch cable last year and had a spare but no tools. I replaced it with only a metal spoon!

Here is one of the others I'm considering. It has some cosmetic damage to the front bumper but it has low miles. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5387223442.html

I haven't gotten confirmation yet, but I believe he is taking it in for a real PPI on Friday.

Has anyone found any solid ways for tracking down previous owners?
If the car has been serviced at a dealer they maintain those records.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhopkins View Post
Thanks everyone for the great information. Given my budget, I'm thinking that I might want to skip the S model and find a base model that is one owner and near perfect.
I would make an S model the priority. Cars on the road today have gotten a lot faster than they were 13-15 years ago.
The extra power of the S is handy when passing cars and merging. Off braking, the chassis comes alive more with the extra grunt. I noticed this straight away after my first autocross event in the Boxster S vs. the base 2.7 engine. The 2.5 was the lightest of all the 986's but at this point it might be trickier to find a well cared for 97-99 than a newer 986. And the S model has the strongest cylinder walls. If you want to save some money look for and S model from 2000-2002. That's where I think you get the most value from a 986. More power, better construction and lower second hand pricing than 2003 and newer.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #23

Here here! Perfectlap. The voice of reason and experience. Johnrhopkins, listen to this man.

I would never buy another base model 986. They're just too slow off the line compared to Japanese econoboxes being driven today and you'll be very dissatisfied with being required to work the motor really hard (to redline in every gear) just to overtake them on the freeway, etc.

Buy the newest S you can find that's been pampered and maintained and if it's still out of your price range, stop shopping, start saving more money, and get back into looking for an S when you have the money. Settling for a base is a BIG mistake. LEARN FROM ME.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #24

Haha, more solid advice just after I had convinced myself to find a very pampered base model. I know I want the S, but more importantly, I want it to be as trouble-free as one can be. While I'm sure I'll want the S, I'm replacing a Miata, so that is my point of comparison. So, S or not, a well-maintained and clean Boxster is going to happen.

Here is my short list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hjScz9awUk8ueN3VFNTU4N_jqQbpGs85VVIues4O0t8/edit?usp=sharing

It is a shared Google Doc with viewers allowed to comment. If you have the time and desire, feel free to add comments. I'll be adding cars and marking my notes.

As far as buying goes, I'm not in a hurry, but as soon as the other guys insurance company gets their head out or their butts, I'll have cash and no more rental. I'll have to use my 71 Baja Bug as my daily. I love that car, but Salt Lake City in the winter with no heat is no fun LOL.
johnrhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:09 AM   #25

Garage
OMG Baja! Havent seen one of those since high school!
Old 01-08-2016, 04:43 AM   #26

Garage
Somebody just posted a 2000 s for sale in classifieds. Looks like it's been well taken care of and the price is a steal. Just fyi.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Somebody just posted a 2000 s for sale in classifieds. Looks like it's been well taken care of and the price is a steal. Just fyi.
I just looked and didn't find it but I'm on mobile and perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Link?
johnrhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #28

Garage
It all depends on your driving style. I have a base and while I could want for more, it serves me very well. I'm not into drag racing on the city streets and I don't plan to rally it, although I think I may take it once just to see what it'll do. I more enjoy the twisty roads and the base works out well for me for that. It all depends on what you are looking to do with it.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #29

Garage
http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/60058-2000-boxster-s-tiptronic-sale.html#post479261
Old 01-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #30

I don't think there is such thing as a steal when it comes to buying a sub $10K Boxster or Carrera.
Either the owner needs quick cash, has too much cash (blue moon occurrences) or something is up with the engine. When you get to the point of serious negotiations, ask if the PPI can include dropping the oil pan to inspect for any metal and that you will pay for the oil change, sale or not. If the seller says "knock yourself out", I'm guessing he's not hiding anything even if there may be an issue he's unaware of. If he balks, even if its costing him nothing, you should walk.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote