View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
RandallNeighbour

Actually, that owner-supplied PPI reveals a lot that you should be aware of.

- AC display issues: You can buy an AUDI replacement LCD panel off ebay and fix it yourself or pay $400 (or more) for a new AC head unit. I would not buy a used one because they all will suffer from the LCD display crapping out on you sooner or later.

- LCD bits out on the cluster cannot be easily swapped out. The whole cluster must be replaced and they're model year specific. Swapping it is only a 30 minute job, but finding the right cluster and having the mileage reprogrammed will not be cheap or quick.

The other mechanical things are what they are... torn drive shaft boots? replace the drive shaft with a new one or a salvage one with intact boots. You've no idea what got in there and what damage it did to the joint.

None of these things are deal killers as long as the purchase price reflects the costs involved in bringing the car up to good condition overall. Not sure about you but I hate "cosmetic" flaws like the LCD panels being out. I see it all the time and it pisses me off to no end.

Hopefully, you will find an owner like myself who has taken the time to keep up the appearance and mechanicals of the Porsche you're about to buy and has a long list of things they can tell you they've addressed RECENTLY.

Remember: The cheaper the Porsche you find, the more it will cost you to own. There's no way out of the cost of Porsche ownership. Buy a new one and it won't need much but will cost you a lot. Buy an old one with lots of niggling issues and it may well cost you as much as one that's 10 years newer in the long run. That was exactly what happened to me.

I bought a 97 base model in 2004 for $15k, 8k off the blue book value. Thought I stole the car until I started fixing everything that was worn out or broken and refreshing the car's looks. I now have a total of at least $42k in a car now worth $8000 on a good day. What I should have done was arrest my anxiousness to buy a Porsche and kept saving for a few years and bought myself a much nicer, newer, pampered example of the Boxster.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 01-05-2016 at 12:52 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote