Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2015, 03:47 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

My rental car is a Hyundai Elantra.

Flew to Jacksonville Fl at 12:30am on thanksgiving morning. Dad had a major stroke. Lost entire left side of his brain. In short term hospice but I have to get home to work. Fly back Sunday.

Driving a cheap rental all week really makes you appreciate the smoothness and quality of a Porsche. I've only seen 2 911s and one 986, but I'm by the airport and my in laws in town eat raccoon so that area isn't exactly where you'd expect to see a Porsche that wasn't stolen. To be precise, I spent last Sunday removing the AC compressor from a 98 Regal and installing a AC bypass pulley to get them on the road.

Can't wait to get home Sunday. Oh, I guess I miss my wife and dog as well....

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:03 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I'm also sorry to hear you had to drive a Hyundai. I insult some of my relatives/friends when I tell them that the person who buys a Hyundai/Kia only cares about the price. That's the only brand I dislike.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:59 AM   #3

Sorry about your dad too. I have had that car as a rental and also a Kia something, Rio maybe, very tiny and underpowered. The Elantra I had had some sort of ecoboost and never got over 1,000 RPMs the whole time I had it. Awful.

Last time I had a Jeep Renegade. Top of the line, the 4x4 model, etc. What a piece of junk (built on the same platform as the Fiat 500). The sole redeeming quality, which I absolutely loved... when you turned the steering wheel left or right the headlights would "turn" (I think they just lit up some additional elements) so you could see around the corner. If I ever get a new Porsche (or any new car) that feature is now a must for me
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Tim, sorry to hear about your father and glad that you still, can keep a sense of humor. Enjoy your time back home.
I bought a used Hyundai Accent for my daughter after she totaled our Volvo. ...mistake. We ended up giving it away to a friend (the kind who has never eaten at Cheesecake Factory) who complained about it for a year.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:21 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
I insult some of my relatives/friends when I tell them that the person who buys a Hyundai/Kia only cares about the price. That's the only brand I dislike.
I would be a bit insulted too! . I absolutely love my Boxster and my daily driver too- a 2015 Murano. But my 2009 Hyundai Accent- kids beater car- is a great little machine, with excellent build quality. It has proven to be very reliable, with fantastic gas mileage and a surprisingly good drive for such a small basic car. The little 4 banger runs as smooth as silk.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Sorry about your Dad Tim. Its really tough seeing a parent in that state.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:23 AM   #7

Man, you guys are brutal....

First, sorry to hear about your dad...Hope things go well moving forward...

Second, as the owner of a Hyundai Elantra (2008) as my daily driver, I have to say it's one of the best cars I've ever owned. Having owned Honda's of every model over a 25 year period, when we had trouble with a Pilot that Honda refused to deal with, I decided to buy the Elantra instead of a Civic. It may not be as refined as the Civic, but it's not far off, and the only thing I've done to the car is regular maintenance.

I'd buy another one without a second thought! I've never seen the need to dump a ton of money into a daily driver, when I have a Boxster or Carrera on the side to have fun with on weekends!

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White

Last edited by Seadweller; 12-04-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #8

Sorry to hear about your father. Age is merciless. Last time I visited my folks it took my father three days to figure out who I was. He asked me who I was waiting for! Even when you have dementia you hate guests who stay too long!

I actually bought my mother a Sonata after driving the Elantra. My mother wanted the Elantra she refused anything "expensive" so I talked her into test driving the Sonata at least which I thought would be more crash worthy. Personally the last time I drove a Hyundai it was the original Excel from 1986 that you could buy new for $5K. I was impressed with both the new Elantra and Sonata given how far they've come. I drove a 5 series immediately after this fully loaded Sonata, I had a hard time justifying the price difference. The Sonata has a very nice ride but I would not buy from them again. Their service departments are extremely inconsistent from one dealership to another. Some were A+ and some should be burned to the ground by Hyundai. And there have been too many recalls. The last one was disturbing.

Racoon? how do you eat something whose feces can kill dogs.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-04-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:39 AM   #9

Getting old sucks! Sorry about your Dad.

I had a new Sonata rental when I attended Rennsport. It got the job done. Basically a dull but efficient transportation pod that can be bought for reasonable money.

My daughter boyfriend has a Gensis Coupe V6. Good value for money but lags it's competitors. At 3800 lbs it's fat, the clutch is terrible as it's like an on/off switch and the 350 hp Hyundai claims it has can't possibly be true as it's just not even close to 350 hp fast even factoring in the 3800 lbs.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

I'm so sorry that you're going through this with your dad. Mine is 81 and I'm always worried about something like this. My thoughts will be with you guys.

PS: The rental car will only make you fall in love with the Boxster all over again.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Sorry to hear about your father. Age is merciless. Last time I visited my folks it took my father three days to figure out who I was. He asked me who I was waiting for! Even when you have dementia you hate guests who stay too long!

I actually bought my mother a Sonata after driving the Elantra. My mother wanted the Elantra she refused anything "expensive" so I talked her into test driving the Sonata at least which I thought would be more crash worthy. Personally the last time I drove a Hyundai it was the original Excel from 1986 that you could buy new for $5K. I was impressed with both the new Elantra and Sonata given how far they've come. I drove a 5 series immediately after this fully loaded Sonata, I had a hard time justifying the price difference. The Sonata has a very nice ride but I would not buy from them again. Their service departments are extremely inconsistent from one dealership to another. Some were A+ and some should be burned to the ground by Hyundai. And there have been too many recalls. The last one was disturbing.

Racoon? how do you eat something whose feces can kill dogs.
Aww man, day da best! Tinks about it!! The lobsta, what he be eatin?? Da bottom! An da catfish, he be eatin da bottom too!! And the raccoon, it be eatin da trash! That why it be soo good!

Thanks to all for the kind words. Dad is in a bad place and making that decision is not anything I'd wish on anyone. I'm at peace with it. My brother and I don't speak, don't know what his issue is so oh well. I'll just come home.

The Hyundai? It has plenty of pick up for a rental, but the Focus was better. This car has terrible road noise and I can hear the wind on the freeway. Thin walls. And the tiny tires really don't like corners. I take those low pros for granted. Controls are touchy and brakes too. It takes little effort to drive compared to the sports car.

Last edited by Timco; 12-04-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Tim, sorry to hear about your father. I hope the best for him and your family.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #13

Garage
Sorry to hear about your father also it's pretty saddening to hear things like that. I myself lost my father back in 1959 and I always missed him growing up.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Thank you, guys. Very kind.

He is very near passing but I'm self employed and very behind and getting into a hole. In Denver and home in a couple hours.

It's easy to say you're at peace with it until it's his time. Then it's just brutal. Very sad days ahead. I'll loose a dad and a friend.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Sorry to hear that, Timco. Having lost my Dad two years ago and put my Mom, who really has no will to go on, into assisted living this year - it's tough, real tough.

Keep your since of humor, of which you have a good one, remember the good times, tell you wife and dog you love them (order optional), and keep driving that Box.....and you'll get through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #16
God, Guns and Country!!!!

Sorry to hear about your situation Timco. When a Son loses a Father it is always hard, whether the notice be soon or late.

Praying for you and yours.............Muskie.
Muskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #17
I am my own mechanic....

He passed 14 minutes after I posted that while on layover in Denver. Drive out in a week to pick up his Wells Cargo trailer and guns, survey equipment, and some music equipment. Sell his house in MO. Clean out storage unit and apartment in FL. Some long, work / travel, no Porsche days ahead. At least he was asleep and in peace.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:35 AM   #18
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
My condolences to you

So sorry to hear of your loss. Even though I only know you through your posts, I feel for you. Having to do all the work of going through his stuff will be hard as well, but may also provide you some good memories. Hang in there, stay strong and there will be better days ahead.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:48 AM   #19

Condolences, Timco. The world's a different place when your parents go. It's a tough transition.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:30 AM   #20
Beginner

Garage
My condolences Timco. It is difficult to lose loved ones. Glad to see you are maintining your sense of humor. Don't let anything steal your joy. Also glad to hear you and your dad had a great relationship.